CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:48 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Garmin Astro definately kept my hound from being on a very busy secondary highway today. Would he have been hit otherwise, we'll never know. Would he have been hit in the extra time it took to realize he was that close to the road with radio telemetry- well never know. 2.2 miles was the greatest range the dogs were from someone with a garmin unit and he could still pick the hound up fine. Good luck, Paul Conway.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Ordered One today..
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I will post on here about my first experience with it this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:01 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

BRANDON SOSACK wrote:
I was talking to Mike Kelley about three months ago and we began disscussing the Astro cause he said he just got one. He said it is very neat in because you can virtually see every step your dog made. But he also said there are some serious design flaws in the collar set up or the harness setup. The antenna on the collar is very prone to wear and tear. he said a helpful tip is to put one of the heavy duty vinly reflectors on it to give it some protection.
The thing that scares me is Garmin advertises 5 mile line of site! I hope you all know what that means about 2 miles max in normal hunting conditions. Yes gps's are battery hogs also and 20 hour collar life is not to insuring either. What if your dog gets in a cave or under a rock cliff? Or worse yet some thief puts him in a shed or his basement? I don't understand why the Astro can't have unlimited range. I mean you are using satelites why can't I track my dog from PA to Australia? Shouldn't it pick up signal anywhere? Or better yet if you lose satelite connection they should be able to switch over to conventional telemetry locating.
I do think it is great you can where your dog has been and see if he is heading towards danger like a road but I feel that cons outweigh the pros. Just because you can locate a dog in 20 hours doesn't always mean you can catch him right then either.
Actually ATS has had a Gps unit out since 2000 for wildlife monitoring but I bet you could get one for hounds from them also and I would not be afraid to say ATS is better than Garmin.

i'm with ya on this. it's gps why only 5miles???

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

because the system uses radio waves just like other systems from receiver to collar

Post subject: new tracker
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:12 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i just got mine :D

i havent carried it to the woods as of yet----but it tracks the snot outa my kids on the four-wheeler around the yard

do any of you use your old tracker as a counter weight?? the book says you can use a E-collar i was thinking if they didnt interfer with each other that it would be ideal......,.....the astro with-in 2 miles and the intelo when the dog gets deep

:?: :?: another:?: :?:
does the mirco card make that much of a diff i understand what Paul Conway was saying about seeing he was close to a road..BUT...if you know the land you are on do you really need it........if you was in a hunt you couldnt break it out and see that the dog was close to a road

either way i think its pretty neat as of now
talk to me in a couple weeks it might be for sale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:46 pm 
IP:
Is it for sale???????????

Post subject: is it for sale????
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:42 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

the more i fool with it around the house the more i figure out

i put the old tracker on it and it seems to send the signal fine....so thats what im going to use as the counter weight

sorry coonscry but it looks like its gonna stay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:27 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Mel, we've been using our shockers to put the GPS units on. If you use your shocker as is the GPS unit will ride at 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock. If you adjust your shocking unit on your shocker (take it off redrill holes on collar and reattach) you can get the gps unit to ride at 12 o'clock. Either works fine. If you use your tracker your GPS unit will quickly work it's way to 6 0'clock, pointing straight down affecting your signal. They do need to change thier design in this respect and they do need to replace all the collars that we need to tape up befor using and strap on to our shockers when they do fix this problem. That would be GOOD businesss. Bet they don't though. Paul Conway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:07 pm 
IP:
It seems to work well for our hounds and we hunt here in the north georgia mountains. The only thing so far is the long antennas on the collar. Me and a friend of mine broke one a piece last night from the ogs going under a barbwire fence!!!!. Mine was hanging but still picking up but my buddy was not so fortunate, his broke completely off and the next couple of hrs was nerve wrecking for him (not knowing where his dog was). I have ordered 2 more long ones and one of the short ones.....hope it will pick up good here in the mountains.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

those short antennas will bust the first thing they touch, i went through two in less than 20 minutes, one busted on something in the woods and the other loading the dogs in the box, the regular antenna's seem to be the way to go even though they do get cut up a little

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:19 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Had to send my collar(dc-20) off today It would loose signal after 30 yds. Garmin woulnt send me another one until they recieved mine first. This makes it difficult with a full moon and ruttn boars. I guess it has kind of spoiled me . ive got by without it for 20 yrs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:09 pm 
IP:
"those short antennas will bust the first thing they touch, i went through two in less than 20 minutes, one busted on something in the woods and the other loading the dogs in the box, the regular antenna's seem to be the way to go even though they do get cut up a little"

How do you mean they bust? They get tore off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:41 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Redgy Ramsey
THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND MINE ONLY! I WOULD LOVE TO GET OTHER PEOPLES OPINION ALSO! THE REASON I'M GOING TO GIVE MY OPINION IS WE AT VALLEY CREEK HAVE SOLD OVER 300 ASTRO'S IN NOT QUITE 4 MONTHS AND HERE IS A FEW THINGS I HAVE FOUND OUT!

1) THEY NEED TO IMPROVE THEIR COLLAR!! THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO BE TRYING TO DO THIS AS WE SPEAK! THIS COLLAR COULD BE OUT TOMORROW OR A YEAR FROM TOMORROW NOBODY REALLY KNOWS?

2) THIS SYSTEM PROBABLY NEEDS MORE RANGE!

3) THIS SYSTEM IS ONE OF THE GREATEST TRAINING AIDS OUT THERE, NOT SURE IF IT IS THE GREATEST TRACKER?

4) WHEN YOU ARE BUYING ONE OF THESE UNITS BE SURE TO ASK WHO YOU ARE BUYING FROM IF THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU WHEN IT BREAKS! WE REPLACE COLLARS EVERYDAY!! YOU WILL HAVE A COLLAR PROBLEM EVENTUALLY!! I'M NOT SAYING TO BUY FROM US BUT BUY FROM SOMEONE WHO WILL TAKE CARE OF YOUR PROBLEM QUICK OR YOU COULD BE DOWN FOR A COUPLE WEEKS AT LEAST!

5) DID I SAY THEY NEED TO IMPROVE THEIR COLLAR SOON, BREAK ANTENNA'S, BREAK BASE PLATES, AND SOMETIMES YOUR COLLAR MAY NOT EVEN BE 100 PERCENT WATER PROOF!!

6) THE GARMIN IS A GREAT, GREAT, TRAINING AID THAT NEEDS A LITTLE IMPROVEMENT IN THE TRACKING DEPARTMENT!!

7) REMEMBER GUYS THIS WAS MY OPINION ONLY! I DO KNOW SHANE AND CHAD THAT ARE HUNTING MY DOGS ARE USING A GARMIN AND LOVE IT! THE THING I DON'T UNDERSTAND IS THEY BOTH ARE USING A TRACKING COLLAR ALSO WITH THEIR GARMIN? ONE MONTH AGO THEY WERE USING THE GARMIN ONLY???

THANKS FOR READING
REDGY

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:58 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i enjoy mine. the "stubby" antenna breaks, the rubber works fine 1.5 miles in thick woods. i use it with an old school collar though for the looong distance. this system EXCELLS hog hunting with curs that are silent on track. you can see where the bay is headed and try to get there. i've went to the local two-way radio place an am having a antenna extention made so the transmitter can hang and the extention will come out at a 90degree angle and will be stitched to the collar and the rubber antenna will be screwed to the top of the semi-floppy extention i figure this to be indestructable and do away with a counter weight. i will let yall know how it performs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:34 pm 
IP:
Anyone know why the collars are so much cheaper on ebay???

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next