CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:34 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Used the 5 gal buckets for a while, treed several coon off them but they were eventually destroyed by bear. Friend of mine told me to find a tree i can throw a wheel and tire over and use them, said the bear wont mess with em much cause they can't roll em around. Anybody ever done this?? Oh and for those of you wondering, bear do eat rotten corn. That's what i used in my buckets and the bear were always tearin em open.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I use about a 4' section of pvc pipe leave it open on both ends. the bottom I hold about 2 inches off the ground and use tie wire to hold it to the tree. I then use a small coffee can to stick on the top of the pipe, to keep the water out. I usually go out about once every two weeks to check on them. I sometimes take marshmellow's and stick in it too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I tried the tire on the rim idea, cut 1 1/2" holes on the side wall and found a small tree next to the creek that I could drop the tire over through the axle hole, filled the tire with corn, grape kool-aid mix and water. worked like a charm, had coons at night and bears during the day, the bears could not hurt it though which is awesome, they tend to destroy everything. I don't think you even need the grape koolaid mix, just fill with corn and water and let it rot. the coons actually emptied it in two weeks (40lbs of corn). all the bears can do is lick in the holes and chew on the tire.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I like to use a 4" piece of occur bout 4'tall and cap it on both ends... no need to seal it.. at the end of one side drill a whole about the thickness of your thumb and fill the pipe with corn... secure the pipe to a tree with the whole on the downward side.... easy to fill easy to relocate and only coons can eat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

psiskjr wrote:
Most of yall evidently have bear! I will try sour corn and see how that works for me. Our problems are two fold here in Florida. We cant put it on the ground for the hogs. Cant put it in the trees for the bear. Cant use plastic for the bear either. Maybe the bear wont like sour corn!. I just want to feed a little while till my pups get to going well.

We have plenty bears in Wva. Just drop the tire over a tree cut head high that fits through the hole in the rim. I use 1 1/2" hole saw and cut six holes in the sidewall of the tire. fill with corn and water. works like magic and the bears can do nothing but chew on the tire a little. Deer and turkey leave it alone. Never got a pic of a squirrel even, just a couple bear and lots of coon.

Psiskjr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:40 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

take a 5 gallon bucket pvc pipe keep lid on bucket and put the pvc pipe on angles on each side of bucket and cut each end at a 45 degree angle