CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Garmin Etrex???
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:35 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

this is not a post concerning an actual gps dog tracker.....

i was wondering if anyone has used one of those garmin gps handheld system that for example............

you get out of your truck and somehow mark on the gps where your truck is as well as paths that you go off of in the woods and no matter how deep you go in the woods off of that path you can always go back to that location that you marked on the gps. Also does anyone know if all the garmins do this.? which one is the best? any info on this would be good for me ty

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've had a Garmin "ETREX" for about 2 or 3 yr. now. It's the simplest of their lineup. It does everything you just described. You can get other models that do more for you depending on what you want but I find a lot of those features are just in my way when I'm out in the woods. The "ETREX" is priced about $99. last time I looked. As far as accuracy the ETREX is just as accurate as higher priced models-just doesnt have all their elaborate features. Farmboy-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:46 pm 
IP:
I HAVE A GARMIN ETREX LEGEND AND LOVE IT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:36 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

what about being deep in the woods? have you all ever lost signal???? that is what my main concern is

Post subject: ????????????????
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:15 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

you will not loose signal completely any where in the woods, you might have to move afew feet one way or the other.. i have the garmin etrex and have never failed to get a signal...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:26 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I Have a garmin emap with the topo maps loaded in (99 bucks for maps). You'll love a GPS for what you want to use it for. mine seems to be very reliable. I try to make my radio, GPS, and flashlight all use the same batteries- AA so I don't have to carry several different kinds and if needed I can sacrifice my radio for the GPS and flashlight, etc. Good luck, Paul Conway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:56 am 
IP:
Mine has never failed me. I have a Magellan Meridian with extra maps loaded onto it. The maps come in handy when trying to find the nearest road to get back to the truck. Alot of times it is easier to go out to the nearest road instead of going straight back to the truck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

iwantaplott- It doesn't matter how deep in the woods you are or if you are right by your trk. that GPS is going to find those sattilites just the same. Only time in the woods that would interefiere with GPS signal would be from heavy leaf cover overhead in summertime on trees. It was mentioned earlier that you would need to move to an opening to regain sattalite signal.
If you get a GPS - practice with it in areas you know real well before going to woods. After you get comfortable using it you will gain confidence in it. If you want to be doubly sure when going to large woods you could always leave a tracking collar in tree beside your trk. if you feel better with a backup plan. Good luck with your choices. Happy Hunting. Farmboy-1

Post subject: ???????????/
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:38 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i have an old tracking collar that still puts out a very good signal, i leave it hanging on my inside rear view mirror. and lock up my truck. have been a mile or so in the woods and it still picks up a good signal . i use it as much as i do me gps. i have the maxama reciever made by tracker on my side at all times....just a little easyier than stopping and getting a signal and bearing from my gps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:37 am 
IP:
I am heavy into geocaching. Garmin pretty well has the market although there are a couple other brands including Magellan.

In the winter all will work but in the summer I suggest the 60CX or CXS but they run $350-$575 depending on source and promo. Again in most cases the $99 unit will work fine. Under the trees thought the 60Cx or CSX is well known in Geocaching circles for getting the job done.

I still carry a good quality compass and rarely the GPS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:48 am 
IP:
I have the etrex (cheap yellow one). I was disgusted with it and quit using it for about two years until a fellow I hunted with told me be patient and lay it on the ground. May take 3 or 4 minutes but have always got a signal. I would not go into the woods, day or night, without it!!!
Hopm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:19 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I havent used too many gps but the one that i have had the easiest time with believe it or not is the one that came with my garmin tracking system. The gps itself is very user friendly and has great signal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:05 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have had the Garmin E trex for a few years and still love it just bought my dad one for Christmas it is one of the easiest ones on the market to use and I think Walmart has them online for $ 76 which aint bad but remember it is a tool and sometimes that tool has a glitch or it may not get a clear view of the sky dont trust it 100 % but I will not hunt without one even in the places I have hunted all my life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:36 pm 
IP:
garmin now makes a tracking collar/gps. the collar is programmed in the gps so that you know where your dog is and you can also put where your truk is so tha you will not get lost. you can also buy extra collars for them if you hunt more than 1 dog at a time.