CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rocky boots
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:33 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

has anyone else had trouble with the soles on their boots just coming apart ?? man I've had two pair in the last few years that the sole has just come apart on them I think I just walk to much !! Yalls opinion what is the best huntin boots on the market ???? I've looked at Danner Browning Wolverine Irish sitter Lacross just want one that will last more than a couple years

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:01 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

l have a pair of browing boots and have used them for 3 years and l do alot of walking with no probs :D

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:36 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I have found that Rocky boots I've purchased are fine for light use, but don't hold up well to heavy use. Paul Conway.

Post subject: boot soles
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:39 pm 
IP:
The Rocky Boot sole that seems to fall apart is an older style sole. It is the one found on the Bear Claw 9215. The boots that had the most problem were the boots that were the last to be made in the United States ( early 2000's). I think they tried to "cheapify" the rubber compound. After it sits a while it just kind of dry rots and when you walk they crumble. We had people claim they just picked them up and they fell apart. you will know you have the bad soles if they have an airbob like pattern. They are little knobs all over the sole. They put this sole on a lot of boots and it is having the same problem on other shoes. Rocky will send you a new sole that you can take to a cobbler of your choice to repair the boot, but most wont touch 'em. All of Rocky's style used to be real good, no question. I think lately the company has gotten into trouble though and the product suffered when they tried to get into clothing and western boots. I know all of this because I work in an Hunting and Work boot store part time while in college. Sorry I talked so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:00 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Yes i have had a pair of rockys do the same thing and also had a buddys do the same thing . I really used to belive in rockys but since they left nelsonville ohio they have been junk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:43 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We used to buy alot of Rocky boots but since about 5 years ago they fall apart too quick and we no longer use them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:37 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I hate to get away from them cause I've wore rocky since the early 90's and still wear the duty boots every day to work but been lookin at lacross and danner man I hate to change but two years and they are done guess that is the way it goes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:47 am 
IP:
Joey collins,

What type of work do you do or what do you want to get out of your boots? I can suggest some maybe. I really like Danner and Georgia boots but it all depends on what you want to do with the boots.

Vince

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:44 am 
IP:
I wear rockys every day. They are fine for about a year but they don't hold up much more than that. My redwings I wore for 2 years. My doc martins have lasted 3years going on 4. I also have a pair of la crosse boots. Very good. For cold weather I wear baffins. Nothing beats them. I only really dislike georgias. They don't hold up at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:35 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I work in a prision the concreate tears up the soles and they break down pretty quick but I like the rocky duty boots for the reason they are dry warm and have good support but the hunting boots just aint up to snuff anymore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:35 am 
IP:
Joey,

If you work on concrete that is tearing up soles you will want to get a pair of boots with a vibram or PVC sole. Both have high resistance against abrasion. The 2nd problem you have is the concrete has no give, which will eventually were out/and tire your knees, hips, and ankles and then your back.

Bates brand boots might be what you want for your work, they make several duty boots, I assume you need black as a Corrections Officer. I can think of two of their styles that have a vibram sole and built with a Durashock design. Most of their styles are lightweight and detector friendly too. So you wont have to take off your boots if you walk through a detector.

Red Wing makes a long lasting PVC sole with a comfort core foot bed. I am not sure whether the style comes in black though. You will know that you have a PVC sole by holding it up to the lights, with the sole bottom facing the ceiling or slightly canted toward you. It is semi-translucent and you will be able to see some light through the bottom edge of the sole.

Sorry I went on this for so long. I hope that helps w/ your search.

Vince

You know what I just reread your previous post and it looks like you are satisfied with your work boot. If you want a nice hunting boot try a Danner. They have several advantages on their design that are hard to describe without a model. In general most of their boots have a stitch-down welt and a heavy ounce of leather. The welt bonds the boot to the sole and is quite durable. It also allows the sole of the boot to be replaced easily.

One thing you will notice is brands of boots are almost like politics with some people. Most people have their preference and will not change their mind for anything (check out coonscry's signature). Keep that in mind when asking for advice on shoes b/c you will get a lot of it, myself included. I see it everyday.