CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:50 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

They were the new collars

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:08 pm 
IP:
Local store has a waiting list for them as they come in. Also. No one has mentioned the rebate. Is there actually one for those who bought the DC20 or was it a rumor?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:44 pm 
IP:
I'm confused, one person says they got 1.6 miles and one says .7 to 1 mile. Are the 7 miles they boast about complete nonsense. If so how can they make such claims. One would think they would get a lot of there product back. Or are most people not using it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:07 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

It says 7 miles in optimal conditions. I would assume that means a straight flat plain with no trees.

Like those outdoor radios that claim 20 miles and barely get 2 in the woods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:09 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Can someone give a review of this product vs. a good telemetry system. I need to get a tracker for the dog soon (my fund is slowly climbing). And want the best for my buck.

I have never used either but the gps attracts me because i can find my way out of the woods with it when I'm done. A concept that appeals to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:02 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

sitdwnandhngon wrote:
Can someone give a review of this product vs. a good telemetry system. I need to get a tracker for the dog soon (my fund is slowly climbing). And want the best for my buck.

I have never used either but the gps attracts me because i can find my way out of the woods with it when I'm done. A concept that appeals to me.

http://www.coondawgs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44465

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:24 pm 
IP:
sitdwnandhngon wrote:
It says 7 miles in optimal conditions. I would assume that means a straight flat plain with no trees.

Like those outdoor radios that claim 20 miles and barely get 2 in the woods.
. Right right but isn't an open hay field about as optimal as you can get . And to only get one mile Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:38 pm 
IP:
Regarding a radio tracker vs the DC systems, all I can say is the other night I was 1 mile away from my dog and noted that he was right next to a highway. A quick call to the wife and she was in the jeep between the road and the dog. Can't do that with a radio tracker.

Also same night we hit a woods and I knew the dog was treeing on the same den tree he had last spring since I had created a covey waypoint to mark the tree. Can't do that with a radio tracker. same track I noted he crossed the road and then came back. Can't do that with a radio tracker.

Lots of limitations to the radio systems when you really think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:54 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

That's exactly what we use ours for as well. You should walk the boundry and mark them though on you map. We have a found the map package to be off a bit. For instance we hunt one swamp next to Route 380/Route 84 intersection. RT 380 runs for a half mile within 40 yards of the swamp. Well on the display when your nearing the highway edge of the swamp it shows you across the highway. Unless you did some pre-hunt homework you'd think the hound was across the highway. In that case it's OK cause you'd act sooner, BUT if the highway was on the opposite side it would show the dog heading to the edge of the swamp when it had already gone onto the highway. The map is "shifted' for lack of the proper term. We marked points on the map by walking the edge and then connected them (don't ask me how it's done but it can be) and that is the actual swamp proper on the map. Good luck, Paul Conway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:05 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Gunpowder wrote:
Regarding a radio tracker vs the DC systems, all I can say is the other night I was 1 mile away from my dog and noted that he was right next to a highway. A quick call to the wife and she was in the jeep between the road and the dog. Can't do that with a radio tracker.

Also same night we hit a woods and I knew the dog was treeing on the same den tree he had last spring since I had created a covey waypoint to mark the tree. Can't do that with a radio tracker. same track I noted he crossed the road and then came back. Can't do that with a radio tracker.

Lots of limitations to the radio systems when you really think about it.

Much more limitations to a GPS than to telemetry.

Battery life
range
thick brush
relilability
unproven technology
no customer support
produced by a company that specializes in airplane equipment not hounds

and the list goes on and on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:29 am 
IP:
I think there's pros and cons to each system, and one has to decide their own particular situation and which system is appropriate for it. My dog is a close (CLOSE!) hunter, so range has never been an issue for us. When he's in thick brush I've never lost reception for more than 5 minutes. It's no big deal for us because the arrow and distance shows me where I lost reception, so I hike in that direction and his reception pops back up.
My dog's astro literally saved his life once. I also once had to cross a river to retrieve my dog, leaving my shotgun and tri-tronics on the bank. I just tagged them on my GPS and found them the next day. I'd NEVER have found them otherwise because they were in a really awkward location.
If I had far ranging hounds I imagine the beeper systems would be better, but for MY dog, the astro is best. I think it's all in the dog's hunting style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:36 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Does anybody use the hand held long range antenna. It seems like it should be designed like those big telemetry ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:01 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

A GPS signal is different from radio frequency so the antenna has to be different. The antena is not directional as they state I believe. I seen no preformance increase with that antenna except maybe less loss of signal in the brush.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:02 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I thought the collar and unit communicated with a radio signal though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I talked to a lady the other day, she is the president of the West Virginia trapers association & she bear hunts. She said they treed the other day & they had a wildlife & a marshal tracker & couldn't get a signal from where they were at but she has a garmin with the long range antenna & could pick the dogs up just fine. The dogs were treed just over 3 miles.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next