CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Magnum Telemetry MT8000
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:13 pm 
IP:
A friend of mine showed up at a field trial with this new tracking system. It looked like a solid performer but before I jump into something like this I would like some feedback from other owners and or users. It is a digital reciever able to track all known freqs. It stores 1000 channels, has ability to scan, small, lightweight, made out of aircraft aluminum, by appearance looks like a good unit.
1. Hows the range?
2. Any background noise?
3. Hows the accuracy?
4. Any comments good or bad is welcome.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:05 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have one of these tracking systems and I love it! Small easy to carry especially if you buy the carrying case that loops through your belt. Picks up signals good. I use it with a magnum collar and I love it. I will be switching all my collars to magnum collars as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:51 am 
IP:
Diego

First of all, thanks for the reply. Could you elaborate about the terrain you operate in? Is it mountanous with heavy vegetation, or flat with wide open spaces?

You mentioned the small carry case. Do you use the MT-2 antenna, or the 3 element Yagi? Does the 2 element pull in the signal from far away?

Do you think this tracking system would allow you to walk up to and find a dead dog under darkness?

0369GYSGT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:24 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The terrain I hunt is alot of mountains and canyons. Thick trees most of the time. I use a 3-element yagi which has its own shoulder case and the mt-8000 has its own belt holster carrying case. This tracking box pulls good signal but it also depends on the type of collar you are using. I have used this tracking box several times and not once have I had to leave a dog out over night...so to answer your question about finding a dead dog under darkness, yes you should be able to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:47 pm 
IP:
Thanks Diego

I'm in the market for a new system, going to ugrade the F&L MN10 to possibly the MT 8000. Theres so many options out there and the MT has everything going for it by the specs. Just needed to hear from other users how it performs in the bush. I run Hare in Michigans Upper Penninsula. Some places are vast cedarswamps with downfalls to heavy hardwoods with beaver floodings. If the dogs run a breeding buck, the chase could go 3 miles away, and once the buck gets to his own range he could run circles inside this heavy swamp for 6-8 hours. I got to have a system that can locate in this thick stuff and find not only my dogs but whoevers dogs that are running with mine. The U.P. is not the place to leave a dog out overnight with the free ranging wolves.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:57 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I was wanting info on the magnum MT-8000 tracking box. does anyone use it. if so what do you think of it???