CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Please Help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just got the Garmin Astro today, and I ordered a Topo map. I thought it would be an SD card that you put in the unit, but its a CD Rom. Im not real computer savvy. How do I get that map info from the CD Rom to my Garmin?? Do I just plug it in, or do I need some kind of memory card?????

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:27 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

the garmin itself does not have enough free memory you have to buy a card

Post subject: Garmin topo map cards
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Why do some map cards show management areas and hunting reserves and some do not,or is this something you can download off your home comp?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:56 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/118/ ohio map

these maps are free and better than the topo from garmin

Post subject: free garmin topo maps
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:48 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

if you want a free garmin topo map that has more detail than the one you buy go to http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps and download your state or the whole usa if you have any questions or trouble let me know and ill try to resolve it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Do you download map onto your comp and then load it onto micro SD card. then just install card into your astro220 and your good to go. or is there more to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:43 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

every astro comes with the mapsource cd and you download the map from the site and it will usually have an installer with it once downloaded go to mapsource in the upper right corner chose the map you just downloaded highlight all the areas you want and then click transfer and send to device

Post subject: Garmin help!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:06 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

i just bought a garmin a few weeks ago it works great i have loaded topo maps off of google to it and i have used the google earth,i was just curious if i could load the google earth map to my garmin? It would be very helpfull,Thanks

Post subject: help with map on garmin
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:03 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

need to get it set up to show me where my dog has been all i can get is were my truck is at and my dog what do i need to do any help please i just got it and love it but cant get the right

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:23 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I am from canada and i cant find out how to download it without buying the card. anyone no?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Blackandtan17: What are you downloading? Is it from Garmin, or from gpsfiledepot? Not sure about how it works from Garmin, but I've already downloaded free files to a folder on my computer from GFD. Once I get the card and the Astro unit, I'll then load them on the card and plug it into the unit.

Either way, you will need to buy Micro SD Card because the Astro has no built in memory. You put the map file on the card using the MapSource CD that came with the unit, and then install the card into the Astro.

HERE'S MY QUESTION:

I ordered my Astro Bundle last night ( $465+$10 shipping from http://www.notjustgps.com ), and bought a 4 GB Micro SD Card off ebay. Can I put multiple files on it, let say 5 different states from http://www.gpsfiledeopt.com , and then be able to access them as I need them, or can you only have one map file per card? I bought the card on impulse because it was a decent price, but if I can only put one map file on it at a time, then It was a bad move. I would've then been better off buying multiple small memory cards. However, I'm assuming I can put multiple files on it, but it doesn't really say in the Astro Owner's Manual.

FOUND MY ANSWER:

There are limitations to the size of SD/microSD card used and to the number of detailed mapping segments that can be recognized by a device.

If at the most recent unit software version, these limitations are:

* There is no limitation to the size of SD/microSD card used but the device will only recognize 4GB of detailed mapping
* Each expandable memory device will be able to recognize up to 2,025 detailed mapping segments

If 2,025 detailed mapping segments are loaded to an SD/microSD card but does not reach 4GB worth of data, the unit will not show any more detailed mapping than what is provided by the mapping segments.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:00 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

OK I have been searching for information on the boards and at Garmin itself for a couple of days. Question for you garmin users. When you uplink to Garmin (with your Topo map in the unit) with the USB cable and you check for updates why does it say there are no maps assotiated with this unit. Maybe this is why most of the roads in my hunting grounds have no names or roads missing. I am starting to think I have a defective map card. The elavation lines are correct and terrain features. Maybe I am too used to Military maps could that be the problem????? you would think a road would be an important terrain feature.

Take the next generation hound hunting they are our future. hound hunting since 1973

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:07 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Next question why when you are following your hound in the map mode does the terrain features go black but the track remains on the screen. If that's an energy saving mode cool. but is this what everone sees.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:14 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

good luck i have had mine for two months and its doing the samething and all this time i though it was me not knowing what i was doing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:19 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

coonhunter2009 wrote:
good luck i have had mine for two months and its doing the samething and all this time i though it was me not knowing what i was doing

Don't fill like a lone wolf. I am trying my best to learn this thing and work out the bugs. But it could be I just don't know what to expect. I love the unit, but I am trying to figure it out. I sent a meesage To Garmin also.