keep him 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
trade him off 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
put him down 44%  44%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 18
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:35 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have posted about this dog before but if you haven't read them let me give you the story. He is a 2yr. old UKC reg. bluetick. He is a trade dog who has been abused prior to the time i got him. He isn't aggersive to me but he growels and barks at my mom and dad. I can't get him to tree a house cat or coon (dead, alive, or scent drag). What do I need to do with him?

Thanks for any help,
luke

Last edited by squirrel hunter on Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:39 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Keep him give him Time,Love,Care,Respect.Show him attention.Train him and when he trees pet him up let him know he did a good Job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:53 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I'm probably gonna get slammed for this but I say
PUT HIM DOWN! This dog is 2 yrs old, been through
a rough life, prior to now, your never gonna trust him,
There are way to many dogs and pups out there to
start over with. I dont have much patience for a dog like
this. My husband kept a redtick around for a long time
that was like this, there just not worth it, (most of the time)
-------------------
chrys the wife

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:59 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The only reason I haven't put him down (and made this post) I had to give a little boot when I traded for him (50$ :oops: ) I kinda want to trade him because I want/need my money out of him. However I don't want to stick someone with him and get someone (more specificaly someone's kid) hurt.

Thanks for your advise; keep it coming :D .
luke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:10 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I think your the only person who can decide what to do.. You are the person that knows the hound.. you have to ask yourself if you have done everything you have for the hound with out any positive results... if you can answer that question as Yes honestly... then you know what to do.. Dont trade him off.. why would you want to cause danger to anyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:33 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

If you can be honest and trade him, and get most of your money back that's what I'd do....but the key part was to be honest.

Post subject: troubled bluetick
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I agree with smith-06. As long as your honest about it and they know the history then go for it. Somebody might have the time to try and work things out with dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:05 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have an oppertunity to trade him to one of the local dog traders and get different dog or possibly my money.

keep the advice coming :)
luke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:12 pm 
IP:
Did the dog trader tell you this dog was rough around people and wouldn't tree a dang thing? Hmmmmm, lets see, do you think he will tell the next poor slob who comes down the road. Please don't pawn this poor dog off on another unsuspecting soul. Do the right thing and put the dog out of it's and everyone elses misery. If you only get stuck for 50 bucks in your dog dealings consider yourself lucky and maybe think twice about supporting a stinken dog jockey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The guy I got him from said he would run and tree his own coon. I got took but I had a beagle I HAD TO GET RID OF so I figured if I could get a good hound for 50$ I wouldn't be hurt. We all trade dogs at a flea market with lots of people, sound, and new smells that scare and confuse a dog. I didn't think he would be the way he is after he settled down. by the way 50$ out of your dog trading fund when your 15 is a pretty good chunk.

luke

Last edited by squirrel hunter on Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:35 pm 
IP:
Good luck to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:25 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I think it comes down to how big your heart and your wallet are. The dog trader most likely will NOT tell the next person about the dog's problems or he'd never get him sold. It will further confuse and frighten an already scared dog if he is passed to a new person again. First you should decide if you personally care about the dog at all and want to give it a chance. Second decide if you can keep him safely away from other people and always hunt him alone because he may bite. Third decide if you are financially able to keep this dog as a pet since it may never make a hunting dog. If the answer to any of the questions is no then you should have the dog put down. It may seem harsh to put him down (and to give up your $50) but to simply pass the dog along is to endanger someone else, possibly a child.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:01 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Quote:
I don't want to stick someone with him and get someone (more specificaly someone's kid) hurt.

Well I guess it is best to like my wounds and go on. I've got 3 rabbit dogs, 4 squirrel dogs, and a walker pup on the way. I need to do something because I have some fine dogs that need to be hunted. Really keeping him isn't an option because he may bite the people I hunt with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:31 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I would just put him down. He mite calm down someday but i wouldnt take a chance. My aunt has a dog that her daughter(my cousin) gave her bc they live next to a church and it tried to bite a kid and i this dog is calmer every now and then she will growl at someone and it is just men. She dont do it any more but my cousin almost killed her one nite bc she jumped on him bc he had started rubbin the top of her head and she just went crazy. But it is your choice on what to do. And i no for a fact $50 is alot for a 15 year old bc i am 15 and i bought my blueticks from helpin ppl and got enough money to buy them as my first dogs. I paid 250 for the pair at 8 weeks old. Just hope u make the rite decision on what to do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:09 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

If your dog decides he wants to chew on someone it may cost you alot more than $50. I lost alot more than that, but i sleep better at night knowing that dog is not going to rip some kids face open.