All times are UTC - 6 hours

Which Sex Do You Like The Best?
Female 68%  68%  [ 27 ]
Male 33%  33%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 40
 Post subject: How Long??
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:46 pm 
IP:
i have a 20 month old bluetick male that will be 2in febuary next year and i have hunted him since he was 6 months old and he wont do any thing i have hunted him alot sometimes he will run a track ad sometimes he wont do anything i have released coons for him and he has trailed 1 and treed alittle on 1 and he has also ran a track with his mon before and he has treed one by hiself before but didnt run it and also if you take another dog that he dont know he wants to play with it so my question is how long should you give a dog

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:27 am 
IP:
does anybody have any suggestions on helping me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:21 am 
IP:
Sounds like this dog might just be a late bloomer with the wanting to just play with other dogs. Try backing up and taking the dog through some introduction training by itself again. If you can release a few con for it and let him see the first one go. I am curious if you hunted this dog a lot when it was around 5 months old or younger? I have seen dogs just flat turn off after being hunted too much when young. If that is not the case I would be patient and see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:18 pm 
IP:
i have let coons loose and let him see them and he will go out there and sometimes he will run them and sometimes he wont and i started huntinfg him when he was 6 months but i only hunted him 2-3 times a week not every week though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:17 pm 
IP:
does any body else have any more information to help me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:38 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Your not alone....A lot of dogs turn out just like yours.They do just enough to keep you (thinking) someday they will turn out..Sometimes the best thing to do with a dog like that. Is to lay them up for 3-6 months.Then try again....How are the dogs littermates are they just like him???...When I get young dogs to work. I dont just get one.I get 2-4 at different ages so If one or two dont turn out AT least one might....Sometimes I might buy a nice started dog and be way ahead..BUT it can be hard to find them....Most (real nice) started dogs are not forsale unless you want to spend a lot money to get them.....After kill season is a great time to buy a dog...A lot of guys only hunt kill season and sell off dogs every year..Its like buying a horse most are sold a lot cheaper in the fall. Because owners dont want to feed and take care of them till spring......

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:31 am 
IP:
i have one of his littermates his sister and she is a coondawg was treeing her own coons a 6 months old and ever sice then shes been great and a friend og mine owns a male and female also that are good track and treedogs thay both started at 8 months old and another guy owns the last one a male and it is also a good coondog i have hunted with all of these dogs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:02 pm 
IP:
does any one have any more advise for me please because i really want him to make a good dog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:34 pm 
IP:
please someone help i would really like for this dog to make a coonhound

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:37 pm 
IP:
any one have any information on what i could do i would really like to try to make this dog a coondog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:00 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You can't make a coondog if he doesn't have it in him. Since his littermates are doing well there is a chance he does have what it takes. I agree with Chet that you should probably put the dog up for a while and not take him hunting. I've heard of other people that have done this with good success. It can wake a dog up and make him "turn on" when you take him out again after sitting in a kennel for a month or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:53 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i had a pup that wouldnt leave your feet for about 2 months and he was around 10 months when i started hunting him but he was all i had so i kept on hunting him then he got where he would go out with my buddies dog and he would not open on track or tree and then he started but was not consistant so i bought another dog started hunting her and layed him up for a month now every time i take him out he does more and a better job dont know if it was age or he just thought if he does it he wont have to stay home no more but hes doing it and a fair job at it so dont give up dont know if this wiil help but words of encougement helped me my dog was around 18 months whene he started to do good