CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My dog a waste of time?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just got my first dog a month ago. She is a 4 year old walker, well behaved dog loves to hunt. She will open up on track when I run her with other dogs, but when I hunt her alone she doesn't seam to find any. Also she doesn't tree very often with the other dogs when they have a coon. She will wonder around 20 or 30 yards around the tree like she is till hunting. If I get her excited at the tree by patting it or her she will then start treeing. She is also a little gun-shy but I think that will go away. So should I let her keep doing her own thing or how can I get her to run alone?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:22 pm 
IP:
That dog sounds like a lot of work for a guy just starting out I think you would be way better off with a well started young dog (well started a dog that will run and tree by its self ) if you can't afford one like that get a well bred pup. I would hate to see you quit the sport because your dog isn't doing a good job for you hope it all works out for you .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a better dog that will run and tree by himself (lots of slicks) but he's young. But any way I'm mainly looking on advice on how I could straighten her out a little. I'm not trying to get her to competition quality just hate to get rid of her if I can prevent it by getting her going. I'm going to take her out tonight and see how she's doing haven't had her by herself for a couple weeks so ill see if maybe she got something straightened out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:22 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

When you hunt her with other dogs and they tree, catch her and tie her close to the tree. When she starts barking on it pet her up real good. If she wont tree on it shoot the coon out but don't let her touch it. But make sure when she does tree you pet her up good and let her know she did a good job. As for tracking, you may have to work a drag for her or maybe even cut a coon loose for her and give her an easy track. Sounds to me like this dog is just short on confidence and needs hunted hard. Hope this helps, God Bless and happy hunting

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

We have tied her back exactly like said. It really gets her fired up. I'm trying to get a cage coon now for her. I think she comes off the tree because she is gun shy and she knows we are going to shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:01 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got a caged coon this morning. What is the best way to use it for my dog?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:07 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Well if you're just trying to get her to tree, drag the coon around in the cage and put it up a tree. She should be able to find it, work with her on the tree the same way you would if you were in the woods. Then you could cut the coon loose and let her track it and try to tree it herself. Just don't let her see you cut it, make her do it by scent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just now seen the last post (to late) I cut it loose and watched it go through the field over the hill heading for the woods. So I waited a minute and turned her loose (figured it was in s tree by then). But no, the dumb thing couldn't get through the fence and she caught it. She got a couple little cuts but the coon wasn't so well. I'm going to catch another one and do as you said.