CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've gotta red tick pup his dad was in the top 10 at autumn oaks last year n is a no joke no bs COONDOG. I say this with confidence n I'm very critical when it comes to dogs n how mother will make dogs look stupid. He has A LOT of track bred into him. He is 8 months old n I know this is really young but I know wat he is capable of. The 3rd night he ever went out he was solo struck drove n treed 2 back to back i hunted him a few other times n treed n dens or big viney oaks. Ive hunted him with other dogs n he ran n treed n we knocked it out. Now the few he treed solo I wasn't able to knock out. Out of no where he strikes randomlyruns it for a minute then locates a couple times on tree n maybe chops at it then moves on. This has become a regular thing n it bothers me. I hunt him 4-5 nights a week for a cpl hours. N the thing that bothers me is that all his brothers n sisters in Michigan run n tree very consistently but he is a late bloomer??? Any suggestions??

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:27 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

The average pup just starts at 8-12 months old.. Just because a Pup starts early . Does not Mean they will be a better dog when finnished out.For the average dog thats 2-4 years old on average...You can also hunt a young dog too much..Pups under a year old can Blow up if hunted too hard.That usually happens at 18 months old or so....I know a lot of guys that have trained a lot of dogs and had many Blow up.Im one of them...LOL.. Some will even sell that really nice pup for a high price..Just because of whats happened in the past...So I take it slow and easy with all my pups now...Your pup could be treeing off game like squirrels.Or checking trees and moving on..Young dogs can also pick up bad habits from dogs you hunt with..So be carefull.Take it slow and easy and dont over hunt the pup and he should be fine...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

How often should u hunt a six month old pup?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:50 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I disagree with a dog blowing up!They are either coondogs or they aint!NO sense in the bs!If a dog done that to me it wasn't ever imprinted.A dog don't forget who you are!How can he forget what you've been giving him a ride to the woods for.Sorry to ruffle feathers!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:53 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i agree with most of what chet said. but i dont think the dogs blow up but they do go throw stages. i have had pups 4 mon. old that would tree a hot track but around 14 to 18 months they would change. it mite sound crazy but dogs are like people. you can have the best kid in the world but when it becomes a teenager everything gos crazy. LOL i think the dog will straiten out in time. meanwhile here is a surefire way to get a pup to tree and stay treed but you have to have nerve. catch a coon in a cage take a dog collar have a buddy to help put the collar around the coons stomach make sure its tight. get a small rope about 4 feet long and tie to the collar. then tie the other end to a spool of nylon string like block masons use. turn the coon loose in a field around some really open woods and let the sting unwind after it stops go get your dog and turn him strait on the coon you may have to try this 2 or 3 times to get it to work right. but when he trees the coon let him tree as long as he will then when he starts losing interest pull the coon out of the tree and let him see it go back up then let him tree a while longer then shoot it out to him. (DONT DO THIS MORE THAN 2 OR 3 TIMES)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:15 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I think you would have your dog sight hunting if you done that.Make them use their nose!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:13 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Lol I ain't scared of no coon but that sounds a little dangerous to me ... I've seen some bad coon bites I'd hate to be tugging on a coon in a tree , reminds me of fishing and getting Hung up and jerking it , and the lead head hitting me between the eyes .. image the lead head with fangs lol