CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: help please
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i have a 2 year old male walker off of h and r trouble. hes a great hound can run track and have the meat by hisself about everytime. take him with other dogs and its almost like he wants first tree or summin wont open on ground sometimes just fall tree and start treeing nothing up it havent seen coon yet with other dogs by hisself see one about everytime would like to comp hunt him but i dont kno wht to do totally different dog when he has company

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: help please
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:58 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

it sounds to me like he might be jealous of the other dogs. if he was mine and he started treeing like that i would switch him off the tree and send him on. if hes timid i might would just scold him good a few times first and see how it works but if he keeps on i would just switch him and send him on. i hunted with a dog that would tree a coon and as soon as the other dog backed him he would take off barking every breath thru the wood and call the other dogs off the tree and he would go back to the tree treeing again lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:33 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

would u send all the dogs how would u mess with a shocker on him we bumped him and got him to go on but he dont go far

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:16 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

walker01 i dont use a shocker on my dogs usually. if he was my dog i would switch him when he went to grabbing trees like that and you know hes doing it. i would then lead him thru the woods for a ways and send him on shineing a light in the direction you want him to go. i wouldnt beat him but switch him good and fuss at him, let him know your not pleased with him grabbing any ole tree, and if he grabs another slick one i would do the same thing. i would send the other dogs on to if their at the tree cause he want do it if their not hunting. he sounds like a good dog and if he can tree that many coons by hisself he sounds like a keeper. be patient with him and dont break his spirit. have you thought about hunting him with just one other dog for a while with a different dog every time you take him? and if he starts treeing coons with one other dog take him with 2 other dogs for a while, and when that works out hunt him with 3 dogs. just be patient, hes a coon dog and he just needs to know hes not allowed to grab trees like that and when he trees a coon while the other dog is in the woods let him know thats what you want. if hes smart enough to tree coons he will be smart enough to understand a switching when he knows there aint nothing there. good luck with him walker and i hope this helps.