CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I understand where you are coming from and also over here it is illegal to relocate a nuisance coon they have to be put down give you an idea of their numbers

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Offering an explanation
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Old Jim wrote:
I've been doing a bit of reading and studying on this lately. Anybody here ever tried it? Sure would like to hear back from those that have.....Jim

Now that (hopefully) the dust has settled and the gunsmoke has cleared, I'd like to explain why I posted the original.

I was first invited to go 'coon huntin' by an elderly gentleman when I was a teenager. Like all of us here, I couldn't wait to go again.

Off and on throughout the decades, I've gone when I could. I saw years pass that were void of the pleasure.

Now that I'm retired, I have a little more time on my hands and it's a little easier for me to slip off into the woods. Unfortunately, I still don't get to go as often as I want.

I don't own any dogs. My finances don't provide for a kennel, veterinary care, and all the expenses that come with keeping just one or two. So, I have to go with someone that does have dogs.

I fell in with a couple of fellas around these parts that have some fairly decent dogs. And they're very happy to have my company when they go. Unfortunately, they can't go as often as I can because they have jobs and can't just pick up and go any time the mood strikes them.

Quite often, that leaves me sittin' at the house just reading through this forum about the hunts of others and/or wishing I could go more often.

Outside of predators and/or varmints, I was taught to eat what I kill. To this day, I still respect that teaching. Every 'coon I put a bullet in goes in the freezer and, when enough is collected, in the crock pot.

A month or so back, I stumbled on an article about huntin' 'coons by callin' them in daylight. You would think that in 45 years of huntin', I would have heard of that by now. I had not, so I began investigating it.

I thought to myself if I could do this, I could do a little one man huntin' and get out of the house and Moma's hair once in a while. I would be in the woods, doin' what I enjoy and maybe even bring home another one for the pot. And I could give the pelt to my buddy for him to sell.

I figured if there's any place where I could find somebody that knows more about this and I could get some good, straight answers, this forum would be the place.

Never once did I think I might stir up a hornet's nest. Had that thought ever crossed my mind, I would never have posted. In 35 years of industrial construction, I learned 'you don't start no stuff, there won't be no stuff'.

I've never been too big or too proud to apologize, even if I thought I was right. It ain't bein' right or wrong that I apologize for, it's startin' a fuss that bothers me.

I reckon I should have given this a bit more thought before I posted. I'm askin' y'all to forgive me for stirrin' up such a mess.

"If Heaven admitted by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."
Mark Twain

SMALLTOWN, USA
http://jgcphotos.wordpress.com/

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:03 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I think your reading the post wrong no one is upset and now we see where your coming from. Good lucj with day time calling

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:24 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Don't never worry about what some one else thinks about you or your buisness because the only one that truly knows you are YOU and GOD!!! Most people that are jealous over coons are the ones that have a hard time treein them.What probably got people upset is the fact that this is a HOUND website not hunting in general. GOD BLESS and good luck hunting no matter how you go about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:01 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

old jim, the thing you will relize with trying to communicate on these forums is, your only reading or your only writing, its not like us sitting and talking. i can't hear you smile, we can't see each others expressions. its is very easy to get confused about what the other is coming across with. put that with the fact that some of us can't write and some of us can't read.
its very easy to feel someone is doggin you out when they ain't.
and yes, you will have some just dog you to make you look bad because they don't agree with you.
i have had grown men resort to being so childish as to cutting me down because of my spelling or what ever, just to dog me .
with them i just got so i won't post on anything they start a thread on.
but don't NOT post anything just because someone else on here may not like it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:15 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Toe cutter, I believe you said something about a dog could train himself to track and tree, just like a kid could learn how to read and write on their own. I have noticed that since I said something about the way you wrote, you have been improving. Either you have taken my advice and gone back to school, or started hunting with an older dog to keep you straight, or maybe like I said the hardest part is, paying closer attention. Any way you getting better. And ole jim don't you worry, you call and shoot all them coons you want. Didn't want to get carried away here and hi jack your thread like so many others has done mine.........

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:44 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Hey Jim, go out and shoot as many coon as the regs. in VA will let you by whatever means are allowed. Just promise us you will enjoy yourself and forget any on here who think you are doing it the wrong way. Time hunting can turn into such a serious thing for some, go have fun and take a kid along if you can.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Nitelite (huntsmart.com) has a 88 min dvd called Crumblin'Coons thats all on daytime coon calling for $19.99

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:14 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

billy d wrote:
Toe cutter, I believe you said something about a dog could train himself to track and tree, just like a kid could learn how to read and write on their own. I have noticed that since I said something about the way you wrote, you have been improving. Either you have taken my advice and gone back to school, or started hunting with an older dog to keep you straight, or maybe like I said the hardest part is, paying closer attention. Any way you getting better. And ole jim don't you worry, you call and shoot all them coons you want. Didn't want to get carried away here and hi jack your thread like so many others has done mine.........

Why would you make a comment like that I thought this thread was about calling coons for hunting in the day. Billyd u sir are a prick. Toe cutter said nothing wrong to you on this thread. Why do you make posts and start threads just to be argumentative?

Anyways Jim as I said before calling can be a very effective way to hunt coons when you don't have a dog. Not to mention alot of fun!! There are a lot of ways to take fur, many of them forgotten, or taken to the grave as secrets. I have a buddy here who has a jack russel, we put her into an old house, or barn and she'll find where the coons are in the wall or hay mow and sit and whine. If in an old house we start methodically pulling off the plaster (with permission) and eventually bump out the coon from his hiding spot. If in an old hay mow, we start pulling up bales until the dog can get in to the coons then the fight is on. I've seen that little jack russel drag out several coons far bigger than her .

King Wildlife Control
647-217-6225

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:59 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

billy d wrote:
Toe cutter, Any way you getting better..........

maybe you should go back to school dilly, maybe the teachers will take you serious since noone else on this forum does. anway you(r) getting better too...... na not really. i think everyone on here should start calling you barney LOL

GRNITECH GRCH HARDING'S ACE
pr' HARDING'S HARDWOOD KAT
pr' HARDING'S HIGH FIVE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I would have to agree with the others I would never hunt coons in the day with a call it just takes all the fun out it... but thats just me ... if it sutes your fansy go ahead and do it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:28 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Sorry ole jim, but I just can't sit idly by. Canadian Hillbilly, you don't know what you talking about. Just who do you suppose the above post that toe cutter put on here was about, and I suppose you think that all that was about calling in the day time plus all that garbage you put on here about the Jack Russell, jerking them great big ole coons out of haystacks and behind drywall. Oh well. Besides, I was complimenting toe cutter on his improvement in spelling and writing, and you start bad mouthing me. Get over it and have a good day.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:29 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Billy D, i'm not real sure what your problem is but i notice that just about every post you put on here starts a fight. Ya know, i'm not sure how people do it in texas but here in West Virginia if ya go around askin for trouble, you find it. And the way you always dog people over stupid stuff and try to embarass them publicly, would get you a whoopin real quick. Quit tryin to make people feel bad when they do nothin to you, and get over yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:34 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

btt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:32 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Boy oh boy, something fishy here. I would have sworn that toe cutter had a reply on something I've said, trying to debunk, about reading and writing being a learned trait, and before I could disagree, and say that it is not learned but taught, it disappeared. Oh well, I guess he finally figured it out. Now it just btt. Go figure....................

My dogs are too good to shoot, but not good enough to brag on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next