CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

 

It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4


Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:43 pm 
IP:
Offline
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Posts: 63
Location: Maryland
dredder wrote:
As a side note:
We almost lost bear hunting in Michigan because of bickering between the bait hunters and the hound hunters. The anti's tried using the two groups against each other and it almost worked. As outdoorsman, hunters and trappers we all need to stick together and support each other regardless of our personal preferences.


This was exactly what I was trying to get at... I just overlooked this post. Well put!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

 

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:52 pm 
IP:
Offline
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Joined: 01 Jan 2010
Posts: 616
Location: MISSISSIPPI
Duke6017 wrote:
Here is my take on it for what it is worth.... I agree with Toe Cutter in a sense. I have no interest in shooting them during the day, or with out dogs. But I really don't care if anyone else does it, as long as it is legal where they are hunting. TC you mentioned that this is coondawgs.com but this site also has forums and information about trapping which obviously requires no dogs. While I can respect your decision not to hunt coons/rabbits with out dogs, I think the same respect should be given to those who decide not too. Some of the most fun I had as a kid was walking around with my dad and friends kicking bushes and shooting the rabbits as they took off. Don't get me wrong, I like watching a good beagle but at the time we didn't have any. Anyways, my point is... telling guys that they are wrong for hunting (legally) the way they do because you don't agree with it is no different than someone telling you that you are wrong for hunting animals with dogs because they don't agree with it.
You can take his post anyway you want but your not getting what he is saying. On the rabbit hunting part he is saying if you jump a rabbit and the pack is there let them run it and and give the rabbit a chance to get away and or circle back before pulling the trigger. The coon should have the same fair shake as the rabbits did also. And by the way don't you think shinning coon is the same as shining deer.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:14 pm 
IP:
Offline
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Joined: 07 Mar 2010
Posts: 35
Location: NY
toe cutter wrote:
to me if you shoot any coon your dog did not tree or shoot more then one coon out of a tree your dog treed on, you have no idea of what the term sport even means. i did'nt shine coon or kill more then one out of a tree when coon hides were $25 to $35 each. i will not lower myself to do it for $4 to $8 each. young or old i'll tell you the same thing, if you shine a coon and kill it while coon hunting with me with my dogs or jump shoot a rabbit while hunting with me and my rabbit dogs. we are done and you will never go with me again.
if i think you are wrong then i will tell you i think you are wrong. i don't really care if you think it is right or not. i aint on here to be your friend or say anything in hopes you will agree. i don't care if you do or don't.
maybe if some had someone that actually has some integrity and principals and a backbone guiding them insted of you telling them "do it how you ever want to do it", they could actually see the enjoyment of a hound doing good work and not just see the $ signs people like you have taught them to look for..
i knew plenty that would walk around the woods killing $25 coon with a worthless dog just trailing around barking and never treeing just to beat hunting laws.. then come home and brag to thier wife and kids and buddies that did'nt know how coonhunting was done how good of a hunter they were/how good my dog is "look how many i got"..you were just out there for the money... you were not coon hunting then and you ain't coon hunting now. you're shinnin. hunting w/a one eyed red bone. you are CHEATING.
the site here is called coondawgs.com, because it is for people that hunt with hounds..... not coon harvesting anyway you can 101,or chats in the cabelas parking lot.com...
you should not worry about the fate of the sport,you don't even know what the sport of hunting hounds is. and if you do,you just stated in your post you will be the first to say ok do it anyway you want cause I'LL NOT STAND UP FOR HOW I THINK IS THE RIGHT WAY FOR IT TO BE DONE. i dont care if its legal or not, its not hound hunting the way i was taught or how i taught my son and grand sons to coon hunt. i taught them there is more to it then just the $$$ bills. unlike what you greedy cornballs have taught yours.

Ok toecutter i completely understand where you coming from im not saying that anyone can come out with me and shine coons my hound didnt tree and shoot them for the money when i got into coon huntin it was never about the money and it never will be i run dogs cause i love watching a good hound come together and tree a lot of coons and just be the no nonsense coon dog that i expect but as far as the shining goes i have told many people not to shoot coons just for the sake of it cause they seen the eyes in a spot light and its come to be around my town people consider coon hunting riding around in a truck and looking for coons with a spot light coon hunting i have told many people that is not coon hunting and when i take them out to go actual coon hunting then they understand where im coming from and i have quite a few people actually go out and buy dogs and train them and now all they do is coon hunt and for the people who dont want to listen to reason and actually ask come to realize what coon hunting is then so be it but i do what i do cause i love to do it and people do what they do it maybe stupid or dumb or ignorant but they are still gunna do even if you scream and hollar at em its just the nature of people unless you can show them the right way of doing things then they may turn out to follow and coon hunt with hounds or they may not it all depends on the individual in the situation

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:36 pm 
IP:
Offline
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Joined: 19 Sep 2010
Posts: 63
Location: Maryland
stu9344 wrote:
You can take his post anyway you want but your not getting what he is saying. On the rabbit hunting part he is saying if you jump a rabbit and the pack is there let them run it and and give the rabbit a chance to get away and or circle back before pulling the trigger. The coon should have the same fair shake as the rabbits did also. And by the way don't you think shinning coon is the same as shining deer.


I do thinking shinning a coon is the same thing as shinning a deer. There is no debate there. I see no point in either, there is no challenge. But what does that have to do with anything? The topic at hand was calling coons out of a den during the day. You don't have to agree with it, but it takes more skill than shinning a light on one in a tree at night. I don't think you got what I was saying. I agree with TC, I would have no desire to hunt a coon with out a dog. And I never did hunt coons before I got my dog. What I don't agree with is someone telling someone else that they are wrong to hunt game the way they do when they are hunting that game in a legal fashion. Especially when that someone is a fellow hunter. Its the same thing with the anti's and the vegetarians, if you don't agree with hunting or eating meat. Don't partake, but please don't shove it down my throat because you think your way is the only way.

(TC, I am not comparing you to an anti or a vegetarian. I know you are not even close to either. Just using those as examples.)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:35 pm 
IP:
Offline
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 2697
Location: MI
yea , i don't know why this thread is in the training forum since it has nothing to do with training a dog and is more geared for the trapper type hunter. if it was over there i would of never even noticed it.
i saw one on getting coon out of dens somewhere, i ain't too hip on that either. i asked why they would mess with getting a coon out of a den insted of going and treeing another one on the out side.. they said it was cause they did not have many coon in georgia, well maybe the reason they aint got many coon is cause they are robbing them out of thier den trees after they just flat beat the dogs back to the motel.
which should mean they are home safe.. be like the catcher tagging ya out after you made it passed home plate and started for the dugout.
see ya over there plott ten ole buddy. gonna let you be president of the toe cutter fan club. LOL

_________________
RED EAGLE MACK & RED EAGLE STYLISH BOOMER
]
Randy Raper


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:05 am 
IP:
Offline
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Joined: 24 Jan 2012
Posts: 139
Location: tn
toe cutter wrote:
yea , i don't know why this thread is in the training forum since it has nothing to do with training a dog and is more geared for the trapper type hunter. if it was over there i would of never even noticed it.
i saw one on getting coon out of dens somewhere, i ain't too hip on that either. i asked why they would mess with getting a coon out of a den insted of going and treeing another one on the out side.. they said it was cause they did not have many coon in georgia, well maybe the reason they aint got many coon is cause they are robbing them out of thier den trees after they just flat beat the dogs back to the motel.
which should mean they are home safe.. be like the catcher tagging ya out after you made it passed home plate and started for the dugout.
see ya over there plott ten ole buddy. gonna let you be president of the toe cutter fan club. LOL

toe cutter i was the one that posted that about the dens. ive hunted a long time and to tell you the truth i never thought about it. but your right. other then the den thing you and i are a lot alike. i hunt and beleave the same way. any way i did not get upset at you and i dont think it would ever happen but i would like to hunt with you some day. that is if you could handle hunting with redticks LOL


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:01 am 
IP:
Offline
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Joined: 14 Dec 2010
Posts: 341
Location: WV
TC has hit the nail on the head. Here's my .02 on what is goin on with this. Old Jim asked a question and was given OPINIONS on the subject. Just because you agree or disagree gives nobody any right to bash somebody and that was not the intention. But how can you call yourself a sportsman and say you enjoy coon hunting and then tell somebody to kill all of them he can with whatever means he can. If you do it in the daytime because you're overrun with coon and can't afford a dog then fine, go ahead. But don't do it just because you want the population to be eliminated. Fellas how would you like it if somebody who is out to kill the whole population comes to where you hunt and does so. I know Jim never said this was his intention but others have implied that its ok in their posts. And if that's the way some of y'all think and hunt, i hope i never have the displeasure of meeting you in the woods. Just remember guys, everytime you say kill all of em, we dont need em anyway, you're attacking some form of hunting for somebody else.

_________________
Jon McRobie
Wide Open Kennels
304-813-0857


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:12 am 
IP:
Offline
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 2697
Location: MI
after thinking on it - i used the wrong comparison with the rabbit hunting with out dogs. i enjoyed jump shooting rabbits at one time without a dog. but i ate them and it was'nt nothing bout money and yea,lots of good memeries and fun. but i guess i just see it differant on coon. partly because of so many years it was not legal to hunt coon in michigan at any time other then at night with a dog. it was the only way i was taught and it was the only way allowed. so to me it is just instilled into my brain it is cheating ,shinning ,poaching. to do it differant. old man, old ways,won't-can't change, hard to just lay down and accept it.
they must of changed the laws because we are over run with coon and the cattle farmers hate them. it ain't much differant then the deer, we got so many and the insurance companies don't like paying for the car deer accident damages so michigan has changed its deer hunting laws too. use to be you got a lottery for one doe tag. now you can buy 5 a day. used to be bow season opened in oct. then 2 weeks of shotgun season,then 7 to 10 days of muzle loading. now early deer season opens sept 15 runs all the way through late season on jan 2nd. it won't be too long and we will be able to shoot them over a bait pile at night using a spot light. i guess the boone and crockett record here won't be with a big buck shot, it will be held by a buck killed with a dodge truck or one shot under the light shock - a deer froze in the bright light. be a proud mount on some man caves wall,but as long as its legal.
i would like to see more people calling coyotes and killing them. usa tried to eradicate coyotes at one time and could not achieve it. farmers poison coon ,dnr poisons deer. i guess its just the way of the day. just kill it. i wish they would put a kill season on these dang house cats out here killing the rabbits.
and i will hunt with red ticks eagle eye, shoot at one time english,blueticks and walkers were all considered the same breed anyway.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:57 am 
IP:
Offline
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Joined: 14 Dec 2010
Posts: 341
Location: WV
Well said TC, if you ever find yourself headin down this way, i'd be obliged to hunt with ya. I don't have the best dogs but I have fun chasin em lol.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 38 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  



Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Want to DISABLE pop-up ads & banners after 1st post of threads? Become a member of the forum & view the forum logged in.

CLICK HERE for more info.

CoonDawgs.com - Your One Stop Coon Dog Source for Coon Hunting!!