CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Young dog bit by a coon
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

He is a year old and his second time seeing a live coon when he went to chase it turned around and bit him right on the nose. Now he will back off even a skin what should I do?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If he is scared get a new dog he should have killed the coon I got a 4 mouth old male that loves to fight a coon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:28 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Give him time. Work him back into it slowly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:21 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Ive seen a few dogs scared to death of a live coon.Become pretty good coondogs.....(A trick) to get a dog interested in a coon again.Take a long rope about 20 ft.Place a dead coon on the end .Then swing it around you in a circle just out of there reach.Most dogs will chase after it....Have you done any other training with the dog???Like trying drags or using a dead coon before the live coon...I feel a live coon should only be used. If you cant get the dog started any other way .I feel you should never ever use a cage coon or live coon on a dog under 6 months old.. Its best After a year old or when your about to give up on a dog....Messing with live coons to much (can) get a dog so they have to see a coon to show interest...It can take only 2-3 times and it could ruin a dog...Not all dogs but a lot...I get pms and e-mails asking. why a dog will eat up a cage coon .Or when hunting with other dogs there dog is a coon killing machine.But when trying to hunt or train them they never do anything.Come to find out most were over worked on cage coon and ruined...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks guys... All he was worked with before was scent and hides. I his brother was different he didn't jump in at first then toward the end he became a beast and was all over it. I put a hide out and the others should interest and I could see he was kinda eyeballing it and getting closer. I think I will try that rope trick and see if it will perk is interest. Thanks again Chet.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I had the same thing happen a few months ago and posted the story on hunting tales and story forum titled proud of my puppy. Give him a little time to get over it and he might surprise you one night and get right in there like mine did.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:24 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Redbone33 wrote:
If he is scared get a new dog he should have killed the coon I got a 4 mouth old male that loves to fight a coon

AMAN BROTHER

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:45 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Eagle eye wrote:
Redbone33 wrote:

AMAN BROTHER

Right on!My 8 month old pup has killed 4 in the last two weekends.His head is cut up and under his lip is too,but that made him want it even more!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:07 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Redbone33 wrote:

If i had a dog that would run and tree coon and would not fight a coon, i could not care less!!! Isnt it our job to kill the coon? Ive seen all kinds of breeds that would fight a coon, but they damn sure would not track one down and tree it. listen to chets advise

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I asure you mine will better than most. They asked a opion an I gave mine I dont care if the keep it or sell it it dont cost me a dime ether way. An I put coons out as live as I can. Thats my way ive seen people not let their dogs have coons an thats fine. But it aint me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:45 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

best dog i have ever been in the woods with would tree coons all night but was scared to death of them

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:15 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've had that happen. A young dog don't get over being scared too easy. What I did was keep hunting the dog with a couple dogs that loved to fight. Make sure you bring the coon out alive. Let the young dog see what's going on. If he has it in him he will start easing into it a little at a time and will eventually get a mouth full of hair. It don't always work. That's when you give him to somebody for a yard dog and start over. I wouldnt mess with him anymore with a hide or a trapped coon.
Good Luck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:32 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i believe he will get over it with time, just keep hunting him. it dont take a coon dog to kill a coon it takes a coon dog to tree one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I agree with some of the posts here. I would keep him at it. Don't give up on him yet. Some dogs don't turn on until after a year of age. Keep putting the dog on good tracks and good game and see where it goes from there. A choice to get rid of a dog is yours and yours only. If the dog does not get it after a while maybe its not going to make a coon dog. But like I said its your choice to remove a dog from your pack. If it was only the dogs 2nd or 3rd time with live game it still has a lot of learning to do. Just hunt the dog harder and maybe it will turn on. Do you hunt the dog alone at all? I think it is a good idea to hunt dogs alone to see what you actually have with each one. When you hunt young dogs with an older dog its learning the ropes. I try and hunt a young dog and a seasoned dog together, trying not to bring out multiple young dogs at once. For me its hard to keep them from playing and horsing around opposed to doing the task at hand, putting their nose down and working tracks.
Hope Your dog gets to where you want it to be. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Weather Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank you guys! My husband and i have been talking about him...thing is he is a treeing machine for any scent I place out for him to scent. We r thinking if we hunt him with our buddies broke dogs. I have hunted him by himself but if anything or one gets near me he tends to want to stay close. If my husband and I r out he will go out farther. Plus those broke dogs have some grit and they will put a good chase. We have gave him a month off and just worked obedience and scent distinguishing. Both of us will see how he is out in the woods and kinda go from there. I did do what Chet said and he did chase the hide so I am hoping that out in the woods he will give chase and tree. That is our goal. Him and the other three pups are our first set of coon dogs. His brother flipped a switch and turned on. His one sister wants to play with them and the other female will kill dang near anything thing given a good fight. So I have hopes he will be a great tree dog and not run back to the truck on the first sight of a fight.