CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Road runner
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my advice involves the tone option and voice commands. that is considering the dog already is familiar with what that tone leads to. dogs sometimes cut back on me but i like them to go where pointed reasonably. if they go off course i pull them back with a tone and voice control especially where safety is a concern.SHOCKING a dog is my last resort always. i reccomend always running lights on collars,they are worth every penny.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Road runner
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:28 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

petedog, i did'nt mean to sound like your advice was not good advice . my post just happened to be after yours..
i run the lights on the collars too and if for nothing but the control to make the dog come to me to keep it from getting killed in the road, it would also be wearing the shocker.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I see most of your posts say to keep dog off of the road. Blacktop busy roads I understand.But I've trained my pup to run in front of my truck on dirt backroads and two tracks.

Was I wrong in doing this? I can cover a lot of territory by roading plus when she gets tired of running down the road she comes back and wants in for a little while and once rested she whines and wants back out of truck. She's 8 months has seen 4 trapped coon and the other night she trailed and treed her first coon (not trapped)while roading. Also she is a house dog that stays in the yard without a fence and hasn't gone to the road in weeks. I trained her with a shock collar to stay in yard.

But of I'm not roading and go to a corn field or any woods she goes out and hunts. Not far but last night, as soon as her feet hit the ground she was off hunting in the woods. This was the night after her first treed coon(not trapped.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:49 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

RTWojo wrote:
I see most of your posts say to keep dog off of the road. Blacktop busy roads I understand.But I've trained my pup to run in front of my truck on dirt backroads and two tracks.

Was I wrong in doing this? I can cover a lot of territory by roading plus when she gets tired of running down the road she comes back and wants in for a little while and once rested she whines and wants back out of truck. She's 8 months has seen 4 trapped coon and the other night she trailed and treed her first coon (not trapped)while roading. Also she is a house dog that stays in the yard without a fence and hasn't gone to the road in weeks. I trained her with a shock collar to stay in yard.

But of I'm not roading and go to a corn field or any woods she goes out and hunts. Not far but last night, as soon as her feet hit the ground she was off hunting in the woods. This was the night after her first treed coon(not trapped.)

The way your doing it sounds fine to me. you are teaching her there are different places to hunt and it sounds like she is or has learned that you choose when and where you want her to hunt.
my mindset comes from a young dog i had many years ago. where i live its not a good place to road hunt. I had a pup that was casting from the road to the woods pretty good. I stopped one night and turned him loose on a coon on the road, after that one time every time i turned him loose he would circle back around me and run the road instead of going into the woods. it took me a couple months to get him to cast from the road again to the woods like he had been before the road coon situation. I had a dog at one time that wood road in front of the truck. if i hit the high beams he would go out father ahead and if a car came towards us he would slow up and get to the side of the road. very smart dog. I think it was the neatest thing I ever watched a dog do.
most all coon i ever turned loose on that crossed the road either went into the ground near the road or ran the dogs silly and seemed to never tree. so I just don't advise people to turn loose on coon crossing the road. it can be confusing to most pups and make more work than its worth. but I see what your doing as a different type of situation.