CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:44 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

[quote="Banjowalkerstyle"] I've made him so independent he will not cover another dog!quote]
how did "you" make him independant ?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:30 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I started him in the woods alone.The first night he went he was by himself at 5 months old.He never seen another coondog until he was 6 months old.The day he turned 6 months to be exact he struck and split from our gyp.All this time I hunted him 5 or 6 nights a week(weather permitting)He is now 10 months old,and lastnight we turned out 4 dogs my 5 yo male that's heavy LIPPER[LOL] 3 dogs went straight ahead down a big holler and Banjo circled behind us and went his own way.My 5 yo struck and my buddies two younger pups fell in with him,by this time Banjo circled again and struck to our right.He moved the track towards my old dog but I knew it couldn't be the same track,because my old dog struck to the left.Banjo worked it his way and by this time Rock got treed then we heard Banjo choppin down the tree.As we walked in I could tell Banjo was closer to us than Rock.We got to him and he had a coon,then we wlked to Rock and he had one.I think the reason hes so independent is because I hunted him so much alone as a youngster.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
Banjowalkerstyle wrote:
I've made him so independent he will not cover another dog!quote]
how did "you" make him independant ?

Do you think I made him this indepedent or do ya reckon that's just him?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:37 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

You didn't make the dog independent...The dog made itself independent... It could be a genetic trait, but more times than naught its something the dog figured out by itself by being hunted too hard too young!!

King Wildlife Control
647-217-6225

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:29 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

That's one of them things people are different on!He's a real deal no trash move a track 120bpm kind of treedog and I have never pushed anything on him.When I put him in the woods at 5 months old I wasn't expecting him to tree a coon ,but I expected him to be a puppy!You know smell new things and experience new things.My pups are takin to the woods to be tag alongs until they are ready and I promise you he was ready.Hillbilly I really like you and listen to your posts on here all the time,but my pup will tree a coon ALL ALONE!He don't need another dog to meeeetoooo all night long with!Now my old dog wasn't trained by me and he will make a bee line to another dog barking if he aint smelling something.Banjo is totally different.Say me and you go tonight and your dog strikes up something,I can tell you in a few minutes if your dog is on a coon because if Banjo don't open youre in trouble!!NOW I'M NOT SAYING HE'S THE BEST EVER AND I KNOW IT SOUNDS LIKE IT,BUT I'VE OWNED QUIET A MANY DOGS AND I SEE SOMETHING IN HIM I'VE NEVER SEEN IN A HOUND OF ANY AGE!!So in closing if you think he's too young come on down to Georgia and I'll cut him loose for you to see for yourself........ :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:22 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I'm not doubting you banjo Lol. It sounds like you've done a good job with your pup, and there are exceptions to every rule. But keep in mind, that there are many dogs that are started young and look like stars till they're a year and a half and burn out as quick as they started. A quick browse through the coonhound classifieds on this forum will show you lots of 300 dollar examples of this. Lol. I wasn't trying to put you or your training methods down in any way. As I said there are exceptions to every rule, especially when it comes to hound dogs they never stop surprising you.