CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Any advice appreciated
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:51 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 9 month old walker that is really turnin out to be a nice hound. The only problem I'm having with him is he is hard to catch on the tree. He trees fine till I get there and doesnt jack the tree at all but when I get there he starts goin around and around the tree so bad you can't hardly catch him. Any advice would be appreciated I have never ecountered this problem before

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:18 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I just wanted to say ur not alone my walker did that to never got him fixed of it he was just so coon crazy and so positive when he treed he wouldn't leave unless u shot it out for him then he would go. If there was a hole in the tree it would take a couple of us to catch him and drag him off just very stuborn

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:52 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You have to be (REALLY) carefull hunting a dog alot that young..If he keeps doing what he does.It will only get worse the older he gets...Ive found working all my dogs on show benchs. Even though you never plan on showing the dog helps with there handling a lot..This dog also needs worked on the tree.Without other dogs treeing with it..You take a long rope about 10-15 ft with a snap on the end. Once you catch the dog work with him by pulling on the rope. Try to keep the dog on one side of the tree.(You dont) want to pet him up getting him even more excited.You take your time work him slow and easy on the tree..Dogs that run the tree or jumpers will cause trouble at some time .By bumping into other dogs or falling on them..Dont work him for more than 10 min at a time on the tree..You dont want to burn him out treeing.You want to leave with them treeing real good.Once you notice them slowing down.Pull them off the tree...It takes time to break them right it usually wont happen over night....

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW