CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:05 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have a pup that I have hunted since he was 5 months old by himself.He is 9 months old now and WILL NOT go with other dogs( he will tree his own coon).Take for instance when we turn out he leaves with them but when they go left he goes right.He has struck first and treed first on a split and held pressure like a champ.When I start comp hunting him (I'm gonna wait til he's a year old),I think he's gonna win big or lose big in the hunts because I've made him so independent he will not cover another dog!We pretend to be comp hunting everynight and he has won 90% of the time.This being independent has keep him off trash too.Do any of you have a dog that is this independant and how have you faired comp hunting!I know if we cast and your dogs strike and tree and mine don't cause he wont cover you ,I lose!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:33 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Does he stay treed if another dog comes in to back him up on the tree??? Cause if he doesnt mind another dog coming into his tree then you should do fairly well in the hunts as long as you call him right

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Yeah he aint left one yet!He's kinda a handful to get off the tree!He's a belly on the wood kinda dog.I think I might be able to Nite him out in just a few hunts ,but like I said win big or lose big if he don't cover another dog.But covering another dog adds to the METOO Nite Champs in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:23 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Mine is that independant. She was raised up that way always wanted to be alone with or without company. I tried her before a yr old to ntch but was let down on simple fact of if she checkn her tree and me2 slammed it she would go find her own. It took about 3months from age 15mon to 18mon. Now she will cover a dog if it has a coon in she's running same track or is fairly close (less then 100yd) she by no means covers everyhunt more like 1 out of 6hunts she might back.
She SHOWS. A coon 85% of time. Very very seldom do I ever seem disappointed in a tree I can't find one in you won't find yourself looking at a stick. But she's a 2 or 3 trees in a comp hunt. Last strike first tree. Win most my casts now.
She's ukc ch lacks 1st of being ch ntch and pkc ch($527 won) in 7pkc hunts. She will be 2 in april. She hasn't been in a hunt since first week of jan. She has 2 week old pups now.

Your dog should do just fine in the hunts but dnt push him hard pleasure hunting or comp. Hunting I noticed mine was starting to burn up and go backwards at 14 15mon because I had hunted her 5 6 nites since she was 7mon.
I dog with a lot of drive and want to will burn up. I didn't thnk it was true but I watched mine go on a downslide so I backed down to 1 nite for 2 3 weeks and everythng went back straight. Pups learn very bad habits in hunts but one like yours. Is the ones that bend rules because they never listen to others. Otherwise I wouldn't hunt a dog unless its finished.
Keep hunting sounds like you got yourself a pup that makes you wake up in wish it was dark already.lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:50 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Its JMO but I hate to see young dogs under 2 years old in the hunts.Pups should not even be hunted hard until they are at least 12 months old.I feel theres a good chance of messing one up or even ruining them..They just have not been hunted enough to finnish them out all the way...It takes time for them to mature and at least 2 good kill seasons and hunting all spring and summer and to finnish out a dog ...Thats what it takes to get a ((really nice well broke dog)).That can handle the night hunts and win ..Thats why most of the dogs at the UKC hunts that win are 3- 5 years old ..

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:44 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I agree with both of you guys for the most part!I have backed off on him he was in the woods 5 or 6 times a week a couple months back,but now hes in the woods 1 or 2.He's gonna be a good one.I'm not worried about him running trash or picking up bad habits from another dog cause he acts like they don't exist,NO MATTER what!His sire and dam are not that way at all!I do know Xjr was an independant dog and he is his granddaddy on top and Radar is on bottom .Both of these dogs were independant,and made good comp dogs.He is not finished at all Chet but the only trash he has ever ran(knock on wood) is a rabbit!I seen him jump it up crossing a field.My buddies dogs struck and treed a possum one night and Banjo struck on down and ran a coon while they were treeing!He just does his own thing!He has ran the same track as my 3 yr old female but he work it his way not hers!I know many people who have ruined good young dogs in comp hunts because they'd cover another on trash!I'm not saying he wont trash,I'm saying he really hasn't yet.Friday night he showed his age and pulled up short it was the 1st time he has ever done that!He has started tracks and not finished them,but he's on his way.He may not be ready at 1 yo ,but i'll have to wait and see!Thanks guys I've just never owned a dog so independant!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:20 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

What Id worry most about with young dogs in hunts is mean or ruff dogs.. The last thing you want is a pup jumped by a mean dog on a tree.Or get them so they start growling while just walking around....A independent dog will seldom run trash with other strange dogs...Its more your Mee-too type or dogs that like to pack together will do that..Trash runners like to lead the pack in a deer race....

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:34 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I start taking mine young as possible. My gyp I tlked about I took her at 3.5mon she by know needed to do anything in my books just simply to her to get use to dark and barking and wat not. I took her a month later in she left and ran track. I then started taking her 2 3 times a week. I new she was ind. When she would run the same track as the other but if she hit a snag she wouldn't run on to catch up she worked it out.

Most people would call my 1yr finsihed. You take her out send her in tree a coon do it dump after dump every night nothing changes. I went to texas for 5 night hunt. Every night in the pup casts I was in there was a hog race. 3rd. Night they ran it past her tracking in she come in and tattled. Waited till them two were away from us and then she left country treeing mile in half away with the coon.
I don't consider her finished but she as close as you can get.
Mine is xjr top and spring creek chief and lipper on bot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:59 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

In my humble opinion, ANY dog under 10-12 months old is not physically or mentally mature enough to be hunted at all, never mind comp hunting. Have patience...wait till your dogs grow up before you throw them into the &$@(.

King Wildlife Control
647-217-6225

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:27 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Canadian Hillbilly wrote:
In my humble opinion, ANY dog under 10-12 months old is not physically or mentally mature enough to be hunted at all, never mind comp hunting. Have patience...wait till your dogs grow up before you throw them into the &$@(.

King Wildlife Control
647-217-6225

Well said but I don't entirely agree!I think if the dog aint showing you something before a year it's time to find them a new feed bill payer!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:50 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Mine are running and treeing there own by a year or its on to the next. They say a dog ages 7yrs to 1 human. 4 or 5yr is its prime time life(28-35) humans are same.

If you have a 7yr old kid can do a lot.
I respect your opinion I know a lot of people do the same and it works, I just cnt get it to work for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:12 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I like my pups to be treeing a drag at 4 months and in the woods walking around at dark at 5 months and treeing with other dogs by 6 months and on their own by 8months.I've always lived by this and always will.My 9 month old pup has already made old dogs look real bad in the woods !Would he be doing this if he was still chained up??I don't think so.Like you said butler about 1 to 7.They say the most important learning stages for a youngster is early in childhood and i feel its the same for dogs!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I like a dog with independance, but don't like an indepenant dog. In other words I like the fact that he will split tree and hold pressure, but if he will not tree with other dogs, and they have the coon, he's not only ignoring the other dogs but he's ignoring the coon. In my oppinion this is worse than being a me-too dog as you put it. I don't want my dog to cover a tree just because another dog is treeing, but if another dog trees a coon at 200 yds, and mine leaves the county because he won't tree with another dog, I'm gonna be pretty upset. As far as how he will do, I think he will be good in his cast, but if you have to walk to 2 trees every drop its gonna burn up alot of hunt time I would think.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:01 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

negariverrat wrote:
I like a dog with independance, but don't like an indepenant dog. In other words I like the fact that he will split tree and hold pressure, but if he will not tree with other dogs, and they have the coon, he's not only ignoring the other dogs but he's ignoring the coon. In my oppinion this is worse than being a me-too dog as you put it. I don't want my dog to cover a tree just because another dog is treeing, but if another dog trees a coon at 200 yds, and mine leaves the county because he won't tree with another dog, I'm gonna be pretty upset. As far as how he will do, I think he will be good in his cast, but if you have to walk to 2 trees every drop its gonna burn up alot of hunt time I would think.

he will run the same track as another if he runs onto the track or winds it but he wont just go to a barking dog.A couple weeks ago he struck first and my 3 yo gyp struck second and he ran the track his way,she treed first ,but he didn't stop running the track just to go to her he worked til he treed it.It's like he has blinders on and is deaf to another dog.I just wonder how he's gonna do cause i have never seen a dog especially his age so independent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:06 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

If he will tree with other dogs if he isn't first to the tree then he will be fine. When I first read this post I took it as if another dog gets to the tree first, when they both are working the same track, then he won't tree that track, he goes to look for another one. That would be where you find problems.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine