CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: aggressive pup
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a blackmouth cur pup 7months old that is mean to other dogs on tree and to strange dogs. any help on breaking this bad habit.he is a male dog. :?: old66

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:32 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I doubt if you are going to like this answer, but from reading the "Walk With Wick" book, you might be screwed. From all of the examples of people that wrote in to John Wick asking for advice, he said the only thing you can do is hunt the dog by yourself, so he doesn't wreck another dog. I don't know just what I had read.

Post subject: aggressive pup
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:29 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

We had a redbone that was like that,it was like he just liked to fight,we got rid of him,but he liked to fight all the time. Not sure if this will work but keep him on the leash and walk him in to the tree so you can control him,get a little switch,get him treeing every time he looks at another dog pop him on the nose and try to get him focused on treeing not the other dog. Not sure if this will work. Hope this works!

THE THREE STOOGES

Post subject: ill pup.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:15 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i dont have much experience as we have rarely had an ill dog at tree. my hunting buddy had a male b&t that once in a great while would get mean towards the other dogs at tree or even on the leash, and every time his good old plott dog would give him a attitude adjustment and he finally got it through his thick head.

i wouldnt give up on the dog at only seven months.

good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:57 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Old66,

That is going to be a hard one to correct. A stearn bob on the nose or the ecollar is a start. Also tieing the dog back after he starts the problem. This hopefully will show him that he needs to behave on the tree.

Are these dogs he knows. or are new ones to him. Not that it should matter. Is this your only dog. This could be a I want to be dominat thing, or a protection thing.

In the end hopefully corecting that behaivor will work. If not you realy only have 2 choices, hunt him alone, or cull.

JMO,

Steve

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:48 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You won't like the right answer. No one does. So many dogs-So little time. Get a new pup and start over. You will be time and money ahead and much much happier

Post subject: jmop
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:10 am 
IP:
i have had a couple pups do this but in my case they was claming the coon when i would knock it out. all it took was tieing all the dogs but the one back that was wanting to fight and walk the coon down and let him or her have it all by therselves letting them have a lil taste of getting whipped they didnt care to have another dog there with them after that i dont know if this would help you out or not but thats what i have had luck with. good luck and good hunting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:01 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Did you train your dog with a older dog that was aggresive? You can try tieing the pup up and letting the other dogs have it for a couple night and then see how she does next time. You DONT want her to ruin anyone elses dog by taking them off the tree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have been there and done that it will get were no one will wont hunt with u and theres no way to break it realy better off sellin it and getin a little money out it

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:33 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Doubt anyone will buy a dog thats aggresive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:41 am 
IP:
My experience over the years that I have worked with dogs (not hounds) is that aggression is never truly broke out of them. It's always in there lurking, and will come out if the situation is right (or wrong, really).
He took a dominance style snap at my other dog on the hunt at the moment that I picked up the dead coon, but that was all. He ran with a "stranger" dog for the first time last weekend, but first we had them interacting in my home under strict supervision. The other man's dog was a VERY friendly female, and it turned out well. No aggression. I will never hunt him with a male dog though, because I would feel aweful if he messed up another dog. Pups may change, but I'd agree with everyone else that he probably shouldn't be hunted with other dogs unless you can be darn sure he won't attack them. (and I would get him fixed right away, might help with aggression and any dog that shows aggression shouldn't be bred, in my opinion). Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:28 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Ya its definitely a tough situation. Please let me know what you decide to do with ur pup and if u can fix it.

Post subject: Re: aggressive pup
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:25 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have an english pup who did the same thing at 6 months it was weird cuz we have her sister also and the other one is dominate for food but is nice and very cooperative with us and other dogs but the one who gets beat out is the mean one lol but i have a pup outta the redbone moonlight aftershock and she lit into him once and im not one to beat a dog but i don't have a second thought about it for stuff like that so she got one quick smack with a switch and was ok but the next week we cut her with a lead dog and she did it again so i monkey stomped her good cuz like they said earlier if u got a mean dog ur better off selling it and starting over but i hate to give up on a dog so ill try and fix it a few times b4 i let a dog go but yeah beat her good and put her up for 3 or 4 weeks and i havent had another problem yet so yeah sometime a dog like a kid needs a good whoopin from dad god knows i did now im not sayin beat your dog sensless but try a good ##*%* whippin and see if it helps its worked on my last 2 mean pups but a shock collar isn't a great idea cuz it'll make em better with it on but they know when its not on or u put a fake on and they act up and dont get a shock then its game over and the problem will b twice as bad just my oppinion and its worked on my last couple dogs and i hate to see any pup end up dead if there was somthing i can do to fix it selling a dog or shooting it should ALLWAYS b a last resort

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:35 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Get the dog neutered it should help..It will not hurt his hunting at all..Hes not mature yet so it should help calm him down...Its best to neuter them before a year old..They say 6-7 months old is the best age to do it....Id also slow his hunting down.Sometimes starting and hunting a dog too young can have this affect on them..It can also come from being left in the same pen with other pups too long..Theres a lot of reasons a pup can become aggressive....

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 6 month old male walker pup, he is food aggressive and will want to fight with other dogs in the box. He is not aggressive at all towards humans. In the box he doesn't "attack" other dogs but will growl and snip at them like he is gonna. Not aggressive at the tree or fighting the coon towards dogs. Is there anyway that I can fix the box problem so it dont get worse or spread to when he is hunting?