CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:57 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i got a young dog doing great not 2 yet but split trees holds pressure and all that. on the right track. well ive been putting him in comp hunts. pleasure hunting ive seen dogs stand on his back while they both kept treeing ive seen dogs jump up and land on him and he doesn't growl. he just moves out of the way. but the other night on a competition hunt we got to the tree and all three dogs were fighting. i highly doubt he started it. does this mean hes ill or he just will fight back. can you expect a dog not to defend his self??? what should i think about this.

Home of:

Nitech 'PR' Buck Creek Dan

GRCH 'PR' Sweet Tea Southern Suzi

RIP -- 'PR' Buck Creek Friendly 1-29-14

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:47 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Jmo, I think this is just something that happened because of the dogs he was with. If your dog wont fight a dog while pleasure hunting then what would make him do it while he is competition hunting? The dog cant tell a difference in the two. The dogs that he was with might have been ill but Im sure your dog isnt. Just think of it as if you were him. If someone started fighting you would you just take a beating or defend yourself? I dont think you have anything to worry about.

Head-N-The-Wind Kennels

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:16 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

ok i think i know which dog it might have been because on the drop before that my dog was treed first. he was treed very good absolutley hammering. then one dog came in and mine wasnt treeing as hard. and when we got up there my dog was just walking around the tree and wouldnt bark much. and normally when you get to a tree you have to drag him back to tie him. thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:23 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

This happens a lot in the hunts..Did your dog get scratched for fighting??????....Most of your better night hunt dogs have some grit to them...They just about have to to stay on the tree with ruff dogs.And you will run to a really ruff dog every once in a while.Most of the dogs you have trouble with are face barkers...I really dont like hearing about a young dog being put into a hunt under 2 1/2 -3 years old..Most dogs are just not well broke and fully mature under that age.If it was my dog.I would take him out of the hunts until he was about 3 and see what he does....Back when I judged UKC Grandnite champion casts..I knew a lot of the handlers at the time and some of the dogs . I had hunted with or judged a few of them before...Most of the Grandnite dogs back then had at least one scratch for fighting.Many had two and it only took 3 to get barred from UKC for fighting..If you got 3 in a 2 year period of time your dog was barred for 2 years..You could not breed the dog or hunt it in the hunts.....Id like to see the onwers and handlers get some of the blame for hunting a fighing or ruff dog.Ive known many guys that hunt in the hunts that like that type of dog...I feel they should get barred for at least a year. If a dog they own or handle a dog that gets barred...That would stop a lot of that...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:42 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

yes all three of us got scratched. the other guy. he minused out the drop before. i know hes just about too young for the hunts. how do i know hes ready for the hunts?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The five year old female I comp. hunt is just like that. She would never start a fight, but she normally finishes them if one is started with her.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:03 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

To me you dont want to hunt any dog. Unless its a well finnished out dog...That comes with age and a lot of hard hunting....You see real young dogs winning hunts.But thats usually top handlers trying to make names on young dogs..Those dogs have just not been hunted enough to be finnished out..As they get older and are hunted in the hunts. They usually dont make as good a dog.As a dog finnished out before being put in the hunts....

Profile  WWW