only when i have to 27%  27%  [ 9 ]
no i dont use them- i wouldnt wanna ruin my dogs 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 33
 Post subject: shocking collar
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:58 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

anyone have any tips on using shocking collars? or tips on when not to use shocking collars? i bought it to take care of one of my dogs attitudes- always trying to start stuff in the yard- never during a hunt or on the tree though. i wanted to take care of this problem before it got to him being mean or ill on the tree. i would use the shock collar in more training, like the problem i have with my walker with not wanting to get caught off the tree or anything, but i dont want to mess my dogs up by doing somthing stupid so all tips and opioins would be greatly appreciated :D :wink:

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:37 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

no one has any opinions about using shocking collars at all? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my opinion is dont use them unless i have if u can get a dog to do what u want because it wants to it will always be a better dog than 1 that is beaten or shocked into submission

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I try and teach the dog everything with out the use of a collar. But after I feel that the dog knows what to do I will use them as a training tool. Notice that I didn't say the only training tool just one of them.

I've trained my share of dogs. They weren't coon dogs but hunting dogs none the less. I will say that its possible that more dogs are messed up from shock collars than helped.
I've seen guys personally yell at a dog and hit the button. The dog yelps and it does nothing to help the problem so guess what they yell and shock the dog some more. Eventually the dog is runnied and doesn't want to do anything since everytime it tried to do something that it didn't realize was wrong it recieved a shock and it dosen't know why.
Here are some simple rules for shock collar use.
1. Place the collar on the dog during any training session. So many put on a collar when the dog is doing wrong. The dog will quickly associate this with when the collar is not on me I'll do as I please. They do learn quick.

2. Never shock a dog for not listening to you unless you know that the dog knows what to do. For instance If you taught the dog his name in the yard and to come to you with a longline on his collar when you called him. If he didn't come you pulled the rope to you and made him come then praised him for doing it. Latter in the sessions you call him and you know he knows what to do but just doesn't listen. Jerk on the chord and make him come.
Now that he has been worked in the yard for a few weeks turn on the collar he has been wearing all along still on the line. Call him and if he
doesn't respond then tap him with the collar (low setting) repeat the comand. If you've taught him correctly in the first place then he should respond by coming to you.
The wrong thing to do is just put a collar on the dog tell it to come and when it natually doesn't cause you haven't taught it nothing shock them.

3. You'll have to determine the intesity setting for the collar. Some dogs can take more than others. Always start with the lowest setting esspecially for yard work.
Never use the highest setting on the collar unless absolutly necessary.
For instance:dog is running a track that is headed toward a major busy highway. Call the dog off and if he doesn't respond then use the highest setting so the dog will listen and you can get the dog for its own safety. I had to do this on a Kansas pheasant hunt with a really good shorthair bitch chasing a crippled pheasant. I didn't want to but I knew for her own safety knocking her down was the only way (oh yea the dog didn't get runned over but the rooster did...the dog hunted close for a 1/2 hour but finally forgot it and went on)
Other instances of my bird dogs chasing deer while hunting I would call to them and if they didn't listen then I would Bump them with the collar. If they continued then I would keep turning it up. After a few times they would still look at jumped deer but not run them.
Fighting is an instance that I use a high setting. I've had a few males and one female that around any strange dog they would bristle up and growl.
If they growled I shocked them. If I said no first they might get the idea to do it when I wasn't close enough to see them or they hear me.

4. Lastly when training anything weather horses, dogs, or even people don't loose you temper and discipline. After you correct an unwanted behavior let it go and move on. Lets say you shock a dog for running deer don't be mad at the dog if it comes to you and stays right at your feet for a while remember the training session in the yard. If the dog has any hunt in it at all it will go back out but it may be a few mins or it may be the next night. Don't scold the dog for coming in to you when shocked it is natural just ignore the dog and go on don't hold it against it.

Lastly again make sure the dog know what your asking before discipling it for doing wrong.

Good luck hope I can get started with my first hound soon.
don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:16 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Be SURE the dog knows Exactly what you want it to do or not to do before you zap it. I have one dog and he wont mind unless he wants to. I made it clear that I wanted him to come and shocked him on low and he sat down. Wouldnt move , I had to go get him. My opinion is some dogs they will work wonders on and some it just scares them to death..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:00 am 
IP:
This is a great post and some great responses. I use e-collars a lot. They can be the best training aid you can have. You must completely understand how to train a dog and how a dog learns before you attempt to train a dog. If you strap an e-collar on a dog and do not understand how a dog learns and how to properly use an e-collar you should not use one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:12 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i have used shocking collars before, but to break dogs from chasing horses and things like that. i have a pair of good dogs and i dont want to mess them up by doing somthing stupid. :D i really appreciate the replies- and hope to see more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

A shock collar can work wonders if you know how to use. It can also be your downfall if you don't know how to use it. I don't know if I would use it to correct fighting. We use shock collars on all types of hunting dogs(retrievers,pointers,coondogs,beagles). One of the worst cases i ever saw was when we were quail hunting, one of our males(who likes to fight) was retrieving a bird to me and the guy we were hunting with's dog came to close to me and my dog jumped his. the guy just started shocking his dog and this sent both dogs into a frenzy. i had to pull both dogs apart and put them up. the dogs don't remember that they have a shock collar on in the middle of a fight so they think the other dog is causing the pain. it is best if you think about the dog's reaction to the situation before you use the colar on him. shock collars can clean the wax out of dogs' ears if you use them when you are supposed to.

Post subject: I AGREE
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:23 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I AGREE IF YOU USE A SHOCK CALLOR CORRECTLY IT CAN BE VERY USEFUL, BUT INCORRECTLY & YOULL HAVE A DOG YOU CAN DO NOTHING WITH. MY SUGESTION IS TO FIND OUT ALL THE INFORMATION ON THE CORRECT USAGE OF A SHOCK CALLOR BEFORE YOU USE IT THE FIRST TIME. ALL DOGS ARE DIFFERENT SOME ARE HARD TO GET THROUGH TO AND SOME ARE NATURALLY TIMMID AND CAN BE RUINED BY ONE SHOCK. A GOOD TIP FOR ILL ON TREE DOGS IS AT THE FOOD DISH,AS YOU KNOW YOU NEVER WANT TO SHOCK A DOG AT THE TREE,
BE CAUSE YOU MAY NEVER GET HIM TO TREE AGAIN , BUT THAT DOG WILL ALWAYS EAT. THE SIMULATION IS THE SAME, ALL DOGS IN THE SAME PLACE AT THE SAME TIME WANTING THE SAME THING. GET HIS ATTENTION, BUT NOT HARD JUST ENOUGH TO KNOW IT. THIS TRAINING WILL TRANSLATE TO THE TREE. HOPE THIS HELPS..

FL, COONER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:21 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Just use common scence, it's really not as complex as everyone is making it sound. Use it in the yard 1st, and it sounds like you have already. For the fights just make sure you shock him as soon as he starts to get domanit, not during the fight, before. The best way I have found is to not let them know i'm the one that shocked them. That way to come to me for help. Not with there tail tucked. I've trained about 12 dogs with e-collars, it's the best tool out there that helps you get the most out of a dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:22 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

ok guys- got the shocker in the mail today, i put the collars on them and just let em wear em for a little while... did a little "come here" training, with the check cord. didnt even use the shocker, but then again i didnt even need to.... keep em comin- i really appreciate the responces guys :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:34 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Does your shocker have a tone button.If it does use it when you do the come here training. So if the dogs are out and you want them back you can tone them to come to you. I love this feature and use it more than the hot button.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:51 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

it does have a tone button- its a Tri-Tronics Multi-Sport 3.