CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:42 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey there! I have an 18 month old redbone male that I am having trouble getting started. He has been hunted several times since he was about 13mths, but not like should be, and every time I take him he seems to have no interest in going with the other dogs. He has had 2 caged coon let out early before he was hunted with other dogs, and he trailed them good just couldn't finish them. He seems to be very independent as he likes to do his own thing. He does not stay at your feet and is out hunting on his own but usually never opens. Most of the time when the other dogs tree he will be there when you arrive but doesn't seem very interested in what they are doing, he will tree some but usually after you tie him back. He has split treed before and had a coon about 50yrds from the other dogs, not sure if he trailed it or winded it. Also one night after we arrived at one dogs tree we heard him trailing and he ended it at the same set of trees but ended on a separate tree about 5-10ft away, they had a coon. I am just confused I don't know how to get him going. When he does something it usually seems to be fairly good and intense, but the rest of the time he seems uninterested in whatever is going on. I have even been taking him out with my squirrel dog just trying to get him to do something and he just does his own thing not really paying attention to her. Is there any hope for him, what do you think? Any suggestions? I just want him to hunt so bad and I am a little disappointed in his progress, I know not all dogs have it in them to be hunters but every once in a while he shows promise.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I would give him thirty to sixty had more days of hunting by him self and if he ain't doing no better cull him. I am starting an English dog and am going to do the same thing. that is just my opinon to many hounds out there to be continually disappointed thinking this one might make

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:20 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I don't know that much about the red bone lines now, but I know some of them use to be very slow starters. If he still won't even hunt with other dogs, I don't think he has been hunted enough. You may just have a late bloomer. Also I would recommend hunting him with only one dog for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Need an update.