CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Distance training
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Will training a dog to not wander to far from you while at the park or just walking next to you affect how far they get from you while hunting? Or would a key word or phrase that tells them it's ok to wander off and run a trail make a difference?

***I used the search option and couldn't find what I was looking for. If there is another thread please direct me to it***

I'm your huckleberry

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Distance training
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:37 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have 2 buddy's that own State champion coonhounds that they have trained that when they snap there lead on the dogs just walk beside them. They just drop the lead & let the dog drag it. When they unsnap the lead, lookout! Those dogs are gone.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

so just leave the lead on but let them drag it and it should be ok? Because I like being able to have my dog around without a lead but I don't want that to affect how they hunt. I'm not getting a dog until spring just trying to absorb as much information as possible before then so I know I'm ready

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I honestly don't know without the lead. It depends how you want to hunt I guess. With my buddies when they snap the lead the dog knows to walk with them. When it's off those dogs go deep, at least 3/4 of a mile or more.

I hunt competition so I don't take the chance of a dog hanging around my feet. You can't walk a dog to hunt. If your pleasure hunting that is a great way to hunt. I have a 19 month old dog that walks with me but will take a track & go.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I've been training my pup to stay in the yard with the r-collar. She will stop in her tracks with just the tone. Also trained to heel on leash and off leash. But in the woods she only goes out about 70 yards. But when she knows I'm headed back to truck she will go a long ways out of my sight. One time was 200 yards. But I either walk trails that she doesn't get off of very often or she is roaded down back roads.

Does this sound like I'm doing things right? By the way she is a house dog.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:53 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I tell everyone my hound is my wife's pet and my hound. They will learn the difference between hunting and just being out. It takes some work as you are sending them mixed messages but they learn the differences. I will say that I think if you over train them like I do (turn them into true house dogs) when they're young it takes them longer to run off and hunt. They tend to hang around and hunt close for the first couple of years. But as they get better that goes away. Eventually they know to just cut loose out of the truck and hunt until I tell them to come back.

Profile  WWW