CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: hyper dog!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:14 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have had my dog for about a year now and he is about 1 1/2 now. I have been taking him out with another dog and when i do all he seems to want to do is play! Its getting frustrating and I know he has it in him. If I lay a drag at home he can follow it just fine but off the lead he is just so hyper and wanting to run. Any ideas how to calm him down other than running him to death before going out???

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: hyper dog!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:59 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

at a one and a half years old and can follow a drag why do you need the other dog with him.. try him alone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

all he does if you take him out by himself is stand around, when the other dog will tree he just runs around.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:16 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

yep, that's what most of em will do.. stand around.
even if they will run and tree just fine with another dog,, when you take em alone they will just stand there and look at you. the longer you keep hunting them with another dog the harder it will be to get them to go alone.
its all part of making a coon dog.
it don't matter if you use another dog or released coon or what ever. you only expose a dog to what you want it to track and tree. you or another dog don't teach them how.
you will with most however have to teach them to go looking alone.
ease him through the woods and hopefully get him on a track.
I pasted the post below from another thread. read it and see if you can glean anything from it. his dog is just a few steps ahead of yours.

"I have a young hound 20 months old that has treed her own coons and has treed with an older dog before. Last few nights I took her hunting by herself and she would hunt out about 600 yards and never made a sound. Cast her in another part of the woods about 600 yards again. still not a peep. Hunted her for about 3 hours this way with no luck. Took her the next night different area same thing. Hunted about 2 to 3 hours and not a peep"

just keep doing what you wrote above, that's how you progress a dog from being a started dog to being a dog that will go in and tree a coon alone.
taking your young dog through this phase will take a lot of patience and boot tracks in the woods. it may take many many many nights of doing just what you are doing.
starting a dog is the easy part and most anyone can do it.. the next step (where you are now) is one of the hardest most trying parts of progressing a dog farther.
it's why there are so many young started dogs for sale.
you are actually in a better place than most. you are a step ahead with yours. she will go looking for one. a lot of young dogs will just stand around and look at you when being singled out to do it alone.