CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey everyone, just signed up last night. I have just gotten into hounds about a year or so ago and absolutely have fallen in love with it. I started out with a seasoned English Redtick who hunts great besides the fact that he is older in age and due to his shoulders, he is a slow goer. For this reason, I got me a 6 month redbone male to run with him so when I put up my redtick, he would be ready. Problem I am having is that he is VERY timid. I am not sure how he was treated before I got him but I do my best to keep my patience with him and have been running him with my buddies walkers when we go out. He will run, track and tree with the other dogs and has been showing good progress. The two problems I am having is that he is way too timid and when he does go to work with other dogs, its more of play time for him than anything else. He will face bark other dogs at the tree and treats it like a game and has gotten a fair share of teeth for doin it. Im really not sure how to brake him of this. I am training up my 13 week old pup right now and she is actually doing great but when he is around, he messes with her while she is working so I have to separate him from everybody. Any advise for him would be great. Thank you all in advance.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:07 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Id say their too young. Your older pup isn't ready to hit it seriously yet obviously. Every dog is different. You may have pushed him too hard too young with the older dogs and they whooped him some and now you have a timid dog. Lay him up for a while. Let him mature. Maybe take him out by himself half the time and keep your expectations low. And I don't know what kind of work you're doing with a 13 month old pup but it's wayyyy too early. I don't really truly start any of mine until 10 or 12 months. It's easy to get excited about a new pup but you need to slow down in my opinion. Spend this time to teach good obedience and handle. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ya I am just starting training a pup he is 6 months old and just started treeing his own coon. I maybe guilty of running him too young, but I don't run him hard with older dogs I take him out alone and when I have taken him out with older dogs he doesn't pay much mind to them yet. and hasn't learned anything from running with them cause he mostly sticks with me. I think if there young and seem like they want to hunt then you should take em out alone and work with them patiently. then when there done hunting or seem tired you just load up and head out and don't push them hard with older dogs.

Just my 2 cents and I may not be right.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:51 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a new 6 month old blue tick. I have a piece of coon hide with some sent on it he plays with n loves to have. But I can't get him wound up to open up on it. Is it because he is young or is letting him take the hind in his dog house and have it all the time a bad idea? I'm kinda lost and don't want to waste a dog with good potential on my lack of knowledge. Any advice?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:27 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

andyhorvath234 wrote:
I have a new 6 month old blue tick. I have a piece of coon hide with some sent on it he plays with n loves to have. But I can't get him wound up to open up on it. Is it because he is young or is letting him take the hind in his dog house and have it all the time a bad idea? I'm kinda lost and don't want to waste a dog with good potential on my lack of knowledge. Any advice?

not many of them will get wound up enough to bark on a hide. its hard to get them to really want it bad enough to... a pup barking and jerking on a coon hide aint really gonna give him much education toward hunting and treeing them any more than treeing on your hat or chewin and jerkin on a shop rag would.. read up on how to work him using released live coon. NOT A COON IN A CAGE, but a coon released from a cage.. that will get him and you both headed more in the right direction.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:36 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Your starting him too young! That's exactly why he is acting like that. You should wait at least 3-4 months more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:03 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I've got a 10 month old red bone myself I'm working on. He's the only dog I have. My wife ruins him by bringing him in the house. I just take it slow. I take him in the woods as often as I can by himself. I've shot some coon down to him and he's seen a few caged coon. Last night he bayed his first possum. He'll tree if I tell him there's a coon around but won't track yet. At that age I don't really expect them too. They are still too young and just want to play. I'd say take him out by himself and see what he does. Running them too much with other dogs at that age can form some real bad habits and make it so they won't hunt well without other dogs. They can become bad "me too" dogs.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:52 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Due to some family issues I have been away and have not been able to reply, but figured I would do an update on how him and his sister are doing.

The male (1.5 yrs old now) has shown vast improvements. I took your guys advise and I pulled him back some and just focused on working him with a hide and already treed coon. He is still very timid and I am thinking that his daddy was a cull (I know the mom, not the dad), he will work and run as hard as the other dogs BUT only if they are doing it first. He will follow and mimic but its like he just hasn't figured out that he can do it too.

My young female has just turned 1 year old and is doing fantastic. I was fortunate enough to get your guys advise while she was young and I kept her back from the older dogs. I worked with her alone and with her brother (my male) but would only walk her to the occasional tree. Put her on her first live coon a month or so ago and she acted as though she's been coonin for that past 9 years. Anyways, I hope I didn't ramble too much but just wanted to update this old thread and say a very big thank you to everybody.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:18 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Glad things are coming around for you.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank you, so am I. The male (I am thinking) is going to be a follower. I know he has it in him but I believe that his dad's blood line has went a ways back breed for house pets and pets only. Both my red dogs have the same mom, different dads and I am about to get another from her and all her pups have turned out awesome...which leads me to my thinking about the dad. I just hope that he figures out that he can run em to and not just be a follower.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Sometimes its just the dog too. Genetics only go so far. Granted they give you an edge one way or the other but you can never say a dog is good or bad only for that reason. I've seen litter mates hunt completely differently and they've got the same genetics.

Profile  WWW