CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

have you ever trained and raised a puppy on your own?
yes 89%  89%  [ 8 ]
no 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:26 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

hey guys ! hope hunting has been going good! i have a 2 month old puppy!

i am new to having a puppy , but i was wondering can you show a puppy to much attention and give him to much freedom? like riding in the truck places with you or going to the lake for the weekend? could it effect his performance when he gets old enough to coon hunt?

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:48 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

In my opinion the bond between you and your dog can never be to close. The more he likes and trusts you the easier his training will be later on. He can be started to early or hunted to hard as a pup but as far as showing him attention and being around him, the more the better! Good luck with it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:34 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

TN Tree Dog wrote:
In my opinion the bond between you and your dog can never be to close. The more he likes and trusts you the easier his training will be later on. He can be started to early or hunted to hard as a pup but as far as showing him attention and being around him, the more the better! Good luck with it!

thanks for the info! im going to take it in to consideration !

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:51 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

the last pup i got was 8 weeks old when i got him,i took him everywhere i went even to the store and fishing.i know whis might sound like the wrong thing to do but i started hunting him at 8 weeks old and the little joker would go and hunt he was never under my feet.by the time he was a year old he was treeing coons by hisself,i believe he feels more at home in the woods then he does in his dog house.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:14 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Awesome info!

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Skeets my smokey river female is three months and is running on scented tracks Very well !!! Excited to get her going by 6 months I garruntee she'll be treeing coons !!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:36 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

sgrain i hope that pup trees you a ton of coons.iam hunting with a guy thats new to coon hunting and hes been takeing his pup every time we go,he started takeing the pup at 4 months old and we have been hunting the hide off our dogs.the pup is now 5 months old and tonight my buddy took the pup behind his house, bout midnight he called and said his dog treed its very first coon by hisself. my buddy was so pumped i had a hard time understanding what he was saying at first lol. my buddys dog is bred to tree coons and i told him all he has to do is put him in coons and the dog will go to treeing coons when hes ready,but i cant say ive ever had a 5 month old dog tree a coon by thereself.lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:10 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I aint here to bust any bubbles.. but every dog I have ever seen that could tree a coon before it was 10 or 11 months old also showed many faults from being started too young. when I hear someone brag on their pup treeing coon at 5 , 6 , 7 months old, I think to myself, wow , just think how good a dog it would of made if they had of had more patience and waited till it was the right age to start.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:23 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'm torn on the too much attention thing. I live in a village so my wife only allows me to keep one hound. I know haha. That being said she wants a pet too. So my hound doubles as her pet. Therefore he's trained to be in the house in the winter walk close and be a good dog. Gets lots of attention and all that. The problem I have (and not just this hound the last one too) is that it takes a long time for them to run off and hunt by themselves. He tree's ok but only if he walks across the track or by the tree. If I try to sit and let him go he just hangs around. Therefore I feel that yes you should give them lots of attention and take them places so they learn, but don't over train them. Teach them their job is to hunt.

Profile  WWW