CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

11 mos. old M Walker treeing on his own but will not hunt with other dogs. I have no problem hunting my dog alone but I need to find out why and if he can be broke of treeing dens. I haven't disciplined him once for anything he has done because he is still very much a pup and is very well behaved. Lots and lots of potential and the drive is all there, just keeps treeing big hollow snags that I know are dens. Can anybody help me with some advice on how to handle this dog?
NW Ohio location.
Thanks for the help!!!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:18 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

He is still young, so he still has a lot of learning to do. I have hunted some areas of old timber where every other tree is a den, and it is really hard to tree one and see the coon. Your dog may have a coon every time... so I would not discipline him if there is a chance that a coon climbed into a den in that tree.
I would hunt him in a different area and see if the percentage of coon sightings goes up. If he trees in a lot of obvious slick trees, then you have a problem, but he may have been accurate all along.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:27 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

its hard to say without more info on how he is doing it. trailing to dens, just coming treed on dens or what? you have to figure out how and why he is treeing so many dens to know if and how to cure it.

*right now the sows have kittens, could be that 50% of his tracks do actually go to dens. has this been a constant or did he just start doing the den thing recently since spring came on.

*or is he running the tracks backward to the den the coon came out of ?
in my opinion you never will break him if he is , with him so young you might get lucky and him figure it out on his own with more learned track sense. but he will have to fix it , nothing you can do to fix it for him.
if he won't hunt with another dog so you can use the other dog as a check dog its gonna be real hard to tell if and when he is back tracking. .
I have never seen any way to break one, mainly for the simple fact you don't know which tracks he is going back on till he trees and then its a guess . unless you have another dog that won't go backwards on a track to hunt with him..
that and if a dog can't tell the direction is wrong there is nothing you can do to show him he is wrong for correction to stop it.
bout all you can do is hunt him and hope he breaks his self..
no sense working on him at the den tree. the tree aint the problem ,, its the track to it.

*first thing to look at is if he is trailing tracks to the dens or just going in and treeing on dens.. a old stinky den is hard for a pup to pass up when he is looking for a coon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

SO MUCH information in two short replies! Thank you both for the insight that only a true cooner could give.
My pup just started treeing a month ago so to say he began treein dens this Spring is really not plausible. He is a natural and I have to believe hes got meat in the tree when he hits it like he does. That bawl-mouth can be heard from one end of the woods to the other and when I arrive he has the bottom of the tree tore up unbelievable! He'll chew on every limb and twig within a foot of the tree and just slobber and eat mouthfuls of tree bark from the den tree. I hate that I cant knock something out for him when this happens but Im not upset either because I think lovin him up on the tree to fire him up and then taking him home only feeds his hunger. He is learning very quickly and hopefully he will figure out "no kill" when he trees a den.
Your insight is priceless and I read both answers several times trying to gain any knowledge you vets have to share. Once again, thank you for taking the time to answer my post and I will keep you updated.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:14 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

IF HE HAS ONLY BEEN TREEING COON FOR A MONTH YOU ARE PROBLY DEALING WITH THIS SENERIO over anything else.

a old stinky den is hard for a pup to pass up when he is looking for a coon. this time of yr there is a lot of activity on and around dens with the sows and kittens.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Walker pup is progressing along very well. Turns a year old this month and has not messed with a den tree in a week or so now. He is tracking better every time we go out and my oh my does he stay busy when we hit the timber! Ive watched him several times lately and he is nose to the ground, all business until he finds the meat. I really enjoy having him hunt so close to me, checking in on occation. The coyote are so bad out here at night right now. We hear em every single night along the RR-tracks and they sure are in numbers. I hope my puppy don't get mixed up with them!
The question I have is......Here in Ohio coon season is out right now. Is knockin a coon outa the tree only on occation for a "just started" puppy killing his fire? Should I be shooting em out to him regularly or is it OK to make him wait?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:38 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have bad yote problem around me too. I carry a 22 mag pistol with me. Took them a while but they learned to stay away.

As for the dens wait until the killing season and shoot them down to him. He'll figure out the smell of a den tree vs one you can see the coon. Plus like everyone else said dens are very active right now and there could be a coon in there. I don't discipline a pup for treeing unless I know for sure there's no coon. Even then I just don't pet them up.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:37 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ugean-sounds good! I like your idea of discipline. I haven't found a reason to really come down on my pup however if I found him runnun trash, especially deer I think I would consider it. Ive found it very hard to come up with a reason to work my dog over and I will continue to make excuses until I catch em doin something that would put him in some kind of danger. Running deer, for example.
Thanks ugean!!!!
Garth

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:36 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Deer and chewing on crap in my house are the only two things I will really work over the dog for. Even Deer its usually just a good zap with the collar and I yell at them. I'd whoop them for skunk too but they stink too much after being sprayed. I think a good spray with the hose while it's snowing out is lesson enough. Other than that just not giving them praise seems to do it. My pup will get a possum every now and then. I just shoot them and keep walking don't even look at the pup.

Profile  WWW