CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:24 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My 10 mos. M Walker has opened up on track like he was lining it out and then simply nothing the last two nights in the woods. He has been silent until he hits the tree where he lights up the woods with a bawl mouth. Hes treed three times with the meat in the tree during his young life totally silent tracking until he trees. Now hes locating on track but has yet to tree when he opens on the ground. I don't understand what is going on. He really works the woods hard and has an unbelievable drive. I am very impressed with this dog and have no intentions on giving up but I just wonder if he isn't chasing trash that makes him open up or maybe hes just learning to track very quickly. This pup has SO MUCH potential and I have to believe its something that can be worked out of him or maybe he is finally figuring out the "tracking" thing and I just need to leave him work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am just lost as to what is happening to my dog!
Thanks a lot

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:31 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Took my pup out last night and hes still opening on track without treeing. I cant understand why hes even opening up, he just started that a week ago and I was so happy he was quiet on track. Now hes bawlin with no tree.Last night he struck real hard and I thought he was treed. When I caught up with him he was running around a backwater pond like his tail was on fire and his ##*%* was a catchin!!! I searched every tree around that water an couldn't find nothing. I wannna say there was a coon up there but I couldn't find it. At least a week ago he was really learning, and had started treeing a lil bit, now he aint even doin that! He hunts SO DAMN HARD and his drive is UNBELEIVABLE. I cant understand what is happening. I got 45 views and no replies in 5 or so days, can somebody help me?!?!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:15 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

He may be running something that doesn't go up a tree. Sounds like he's running junk.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Preble-thank you, could very well be.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:45 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i really cant say for sure whats going on with your dog,but ive had several dogs that were silent on coon and you would never hear a peep out of them till they treed but would open nearly every breath on deer,bobcat, or fox. they didnt know it but they was telling on thereselfs by doing that,i finally got them broke from running trash but it took me a while.good luck with your dog.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:31 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Skeets-thank you for the information. Im quite sure you and Prebelcounty have answered my question. I would say that pup is running white-tail deer. Im in the middle of nowhere, white-tail country! I know because I hunt em and I know Im runnin my dog through their core areas. I thought he was runnin deer when I got em at 6 mos. old but I couldn't prove it so I just let em go. Now I think I know for sure. How did you, or anybody break their pup from runnin deer? Im not thrilled about using a shock collar on my best friend. I just hate the idea of correcting him like that at 11 mos. old. Don't they make a scent "deer break" or something like that?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:17 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

garth i had to use a shock collar on my dogs that ran deer,they would run deer for 4 or 5 miles before i got the shock collar.a lot of people wouldnt want to fool with dogs like that but he could tree the fire out of coons so i decided if i could get my dogs just think about treeing coons and leave the trash alone i would have something.it took a while to break them cause they got smart and they learned if they hunted deep i couldnt shock them.i live in the mountains so the best shock collar dont reach to far maybe a little over a quarter of a mile in some places,this might sound stupid but when my dogs struck junk way in younder i would run toward them as fast as i could until i could reach them with the shocker.i kept doing this every time they ran junk and after a while they decided it wasnt a good ideal to run junk.they ended up being just what i wanted in a coon dog.ive tried them deer break scent but never had any luck with that,i got mad one time and even poured it all over my dog and he still ran deer.lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:24 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Skeets-thats funnier than hell! I think Ill just get me a bottle of that stuff and try it up his bung. I hate to get a collar but Im thinkin that's gonna be my next move. I wouldn't even take him out a couple months ago for about 2 wks. cause I was pretty sure he was chasin deer then, but I gave in knowin what he can be if I keep workin. Ive alfready chased him down the RR tracks one night when I thought he was runnin trash. So I aint afraid to run through the woods to correct this pup if I have to. lol
Thank you so much Skeets. Its guys like you that keep us "newbys" interested in the sport! Ill eventually work this outa my dog or he'll wear me out tryin!
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:59 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

haha garth your welcome. i poured a little of that deer scent in that dogs mouth trying to make him hate the smell of deer but kept right on running them. we have very few coons here so its mighty tempting for a dog to trash here,there was some nights my dogs wouldnt be gone that long then all of a sudden i would hear them open up and i would think holy cow theys going to be running that deer half the night and i would build me a fire as they went running out of hearing lol. when i got a shock collar i was able to stop them from running deer,i never had to fry them i just bumped them and they came right back to me then we could start to do some coon hunting then.after doing this every time they ran a deer my dogs stopped fooling with them and and just treed coons.they were mtn.curs so they were real gamey from the start and they ran more to catch then just to be running something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:14 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I see Skeets. Im looking for a reasonably priced collar now. I think Im going to go ahead and get the Alpha by Garmin with the GPS and prongs for correcting my pup. My girl isn't gonna be too happy bout it but its time to spend a lil money to keep my dog and break em of bad habits. My grandma always loved the way a Mt. Cur sounded in the woods; God bless her soul! Maybe someday I'll have one.
Thanks again, and keep on huntin!!!!
Garth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:25 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

He's still young yet give him some time. Kits are starting to land and they can drive a dog nuts. Especially a young dog. He could be running trash but until you catch him I'd be careful using a collar. He may not have figured out that the trail goes up a tree. He could have been cold tracking before that is why he was silent and now he's getting interested in hot tracks and not associating the two. Give him some time and keep getting him in the woods. That is the most important thing. That's my advice.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ugean-hey man, thanks for the info! I keep forgetting that pup is only 11 mos. old. He looks SO mature in the woods struttin around with his nose to the ground that sometimes I forget he's just started. That is......until I wind up back home tryin to explain to my lady that he's still only a pup. lol He really seems to be trying. I caught another coon and layed a trail from his box to a tree 50-sum yds. away after I teased him with it and I think he winded it rather than tracking to the tree. He found that coon in less than 15 sec. and he was treed. Your right, he is still young, and has a lot to learn.
Every time I start getting frustrated I vent on this site and someone like you renews my patience and drive for my dog and the sport. Thank you very much ugean!!!!
Garth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:51 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Glad I could help. I kind of in the same boat but a little worse off. I have a redbone pup that is a week from a year old and he'll tree if he finds one in the tree but just last week for the first time tracked one and I think it was cold nosed. He won't open on a track or tree'd. But he goes nuts on the tree jumping and climbing all over it. I know that my dogs start slow (some say reds are slow as a breed) because my wife treats him like a pet and brings him in. It's what I have to deal with to have a hound. She also goes running with him and trains him to stay close so like with my last ones it takes a while to teach him its ok to run off when we're hunting. Stick with it and remember consistency is the best way to train them. They'll get it eventually its in their DNA.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:51 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

hey, you better find a Walker pup!!!!!lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:41 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Sounds like the dog is running Possums. Catches them on the ground..Ive seen many dogs do that...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW