CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Coon hound lost interest
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have about a 3 year old walker coon hound. I had her trained at 6 months old but now she has lost interest. When I bring a ratcoon home and place in the yard she goes nuts. I'll place it up in a tree and she will stay on tree barking like any good dog would. I'll let the coon out of the cage and she will fight and come very close to killing a full size ratcoon which is impressive. I'll bring her out hunting at night and she just looses interest and sometimes won't go any farther then 10 yards from me for hours. I'll bring her with other dogs and she will run with them and fight coon once on ground. She is a silent trailer and she will only bark a couple times when out at night. Wondering how I can break her from this. She lives in the house and is never let off the chain in the yard. The only time she leaves is to go hunting. Any time I take my gun out, she gets excited and will lay on my gun case until we leave but she hates the truck and gets car sick on occasion. Wondering what I can do to get her to run away and start hunting again. Iv heard people saying to starve the dog and when she kills the coon you feed it to her?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:00 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You never starve a dog or any other animal... Being hungry has nothing to do with a dog hunting trailing and treeing a coon... It's breed in them.. Starving it won't do anything to make it want to hunt and tree coon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

longhaul1xx wrote:
You never starve a dog or any other animal... Being hungry has nothing to do with a dog hunting trailing and treeing a coon... It's breed in them.. Starving it won't do anything to make it want to hunt and tree coon

X2

I have a similar problem right now with my hound. I have this problem with my hounds because they are trained as house pets and to walk on the leash. A couple of tricks I do to help them get over it quickly is take them to new property and don't pay attention to them. I mean do your best to look the other direction even if they are right in front of you walking. They want to go explore and they want you to come with them to say it is all right. Eventually the urge will overtake them and they'll run off.

The other thing is I drive my truck into the middle of the woods let him out and just sit in the truck until he runs off. Then I'll follow. If he doesn't run off after about an hour in the truck and home we go. Don't pay any attention to him. It takes a little while but I was able to turn the last one into a real good dog in about a year. Oh and if he does tree a coon he gets a treat when we get home. You don't have to punish dogs. Not rewarding them works better.

If anyone else has tricks/tips I'm all ears!

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah I never want to starve my dog. I'll have to try just throwing her in the woods and sitting in the truck then. After about 30 minutes she does go farther away but just took her out the other night. It was just before dark, seen a coon running across a field. Looked back my dog is right behind it about 50 yards chasing it into a shed. I watched the coon go in there and she walked right by it. Like nothing was even there. So I just ignored it and she kept running around the property. I got her back the shed and she went right to the corner. Layed down and was on point for about 10 minutes. But she wouldn't bark. The shed was full of junk and trash so I went a jumped on the pile, the coon ran out and she was literally feet behind it. Never barked. She chased the coon into the corn field and was gone for about 45 minutes. I could see where she was on my gps so I wasn't worried but it seemed she chased it and then lost it got bored and then came back. She has the general concept but I need her to bark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:05 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

FOr my dogs barking on track seems to come after barking on Tree. A good kill season might solve the getting board part. Maybe try running her with some other broke dogs that bark hard on track. She might pick it up. Careful though she might pick up some bad habits too. Honestly losing interest might be better than just coming up slick tree'd. At least you know what happened.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah I'll just keep hunting her every night and eventually she should catch on. Show her coon over and over again until she gets the drive back

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The car sickness doesn't help, may be part of her problem? Been their done that 1 time. but they usually out grow it, but sure is aggravating until they do. It will effect them and the eagerness to go hunting and perform as they should if they feel sick. Just throwing this out there.
Good luck.

Cold nosed,go hunting,accurate,determined hounds with brains, is our goal
PKC CH County Line Sod Buster-( Big'n x Bev) Brains & accurate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

This is not the first time I've heard this from a walker man. Don't know why but some blood lines of walkers do this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:51 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Over doing cage coon can ruin a dog. It gets them so they just about have to see a coon to show interest. A little bit gos a long ways when training a pup. The very last thing I try to get a dog going is a cage coon. Also the more you show them a cage coon. Your taking a chance on ruining them. Some of the very best dogs wont have anything to do with a cage coon. Cage coon is the most over used method to start a dog. It really ruins or messes up more dogs than it helps at a young age.. I know all about cage coon and rolling cages .I used to start all my dogs that way until I learned better.

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW