CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: need some help/input
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

So here is the story i have 2 female litter mates walker i did not get both at the sometime i raised 1 from 6 weeks old and got her sister 4-5 months ago they was 3 years old in august of this year. Well one of my problem is distance they will only got about 100-150 yards and if they don't smell anything they come back. so that the first problem the 2nd problem is one will not stayed treed she will tree her ##*%* off until you get close to the tree then come off and run around so theres my 2nd now for my third problem is if i take them 3-4 times a week with broke dogs by the 3-4 night my dog won't go 25-40 yards away from me I'm at the end of my rope here i did just change there dog food and i will be worming them before the end of the week i really think the dogs should be well on their way but instead are kinda holding back like they are scared so any help is much needed

Thanks
Al

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: need some help/input
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:21 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I would try hunting her with the other dogs when she leaves the tree completely ignore her. Don't even look at her, make a point to look the other way. Then pet up the dog that stayed tree'd really well. As soon as she stays on the tree pet her up really well.

The running off thing is real hard. Mine does the same thing even when he's alone. I think my problem is because my wife trains him to be a house pet and walk/run at her side. I did brake my last dog of it so it can be done. Takes a lot of patience. One thing that really worked for me was taking him to a new place I've never hunted before then pay them no attention. They want to run and explore and they want you to go with them. Then when they run off and tree pet them up really good.

I would try to find a way to work on one problem at a time without making the other problem worse. You're treeing coon so trust me it could be worse. Good Luck and stick with it.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:09 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well I slove one problem the 2 sister got to fighting and would stop so I keep the best one of the 2 which isn't saying a whole lot so now all I have is a dog that will tree but will only go about 150 yards and is a little ill from her sister kicking her ##*%* jumped on a red bone male the other night once at the truck and at the tree so I'm unsure from where to go from her

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:06 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Was she instigating the fighting with the one you didn't keep and lost? Sounds like maybe a dominance issue. Best way I've found to deal with that is to find a much larger calm dominate dog that is good at just putting them in their place and not fighting. And just letting them hash it out. A friend of mine runs a dog training class and he has a large white Shepard that is good at that. He won't let an overly aggressive dog play but does a class where basically the young dogs just play and this dog asks like a ref and makes sure all the dogs play nice.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The one I got rid of wanted to be the queen and I had the one I kept going well until I got her so I choose to keep the better one of the 2 so I took the other night and she was around 4 other dogs and didn't have a minutes trouble other than the distance part but I'm Goona work on that next week after this full moon. The one I got rid of set my dog back a ways guess she was scared or something so she has been gone for a few weeks and mine is starting back hunting and freeing better just still hard to find a coon in every tree think she is slick treeing because she don't run a track just starts treeing on trees that should have coon but haven't found one yet so I hope she will get better or she will be going down the road just like her sister did

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:37 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Sounds like its going about right. They don't all get it right the first time. Once she tree's on and you shoot it down she'll get a lot better. That says hey you did this one right.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:10 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If your hunting in oaks and making a lot of trees, chances are your getting into them acorn eating coons, they are feeding on acorns here now and some dogs have trouble with them, she's young, just send her on

Cold nosed,go hunting,accurate,determined hounds with brains, is our goal
PKC CH County Line Sod Buster-( Big'n x Bev) Brains & accurate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Don't feed anything you don't like. Sell it and keep trying to find what you like. Some people like short distance hunters. Should be an easy sell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

UPDATE
The gyp i kept is doing ok i let a older fellow hunt the snot out of her and he said she is doing very well for him he did say her first tree was slick was slick and he got on her and cut her loose again and she went another 100 yards on a track and came up with the fur so he shot it out. he said dog very well until it started pouring down rain and i haven't talked to him it a few days so i will give him a call later on in the week and see how she is coming. He said she need to learn some manners when in the pen because she runs laps all day in the pen and barks so he said he has got that under control so maybe she will go better and as far as the fighting she bowed up again a huge male plott and he had to work on that and now she is best friend with the plot so maybe she will get over the fighting issue due to getting jumped on by the dog i got rid so maybe after all i will have a coon instead of just a dog. i have never thought with the running and barking in the pen all day is would have a effect on her when it came time to hunt because she was already exhausted anyone ever ran into that?

Thanks
Al

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:47 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I clocked my dog and figured out he does 4 miles a day pacing the kennel. I broke him of barking real quick. He just paces. I've heard other people say they have dogs that will wear a chain out too. Dog hunts just fine never gets tired. If anything I say the pacing keeps him in shape. Doesn't wear his nails down either. My kennel is dirt and he's worn over a 12" rut by the fence. He had to start pacing more inside so that he could see out well enough.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:28 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

another update

Well the man is going to give me my dog back this he said he is a 50/50 dog said she will tree a coon shot it out then she will slick tree so he said the less coon you shot out the better she is about the slick treeing part he also said she is starting to throw a good locate then check herself and then will throw a great locate when she has the coon so maybe she is a dog that need a lot of coon shot out to her he also said she is better by herself than with another dog said she loves to tree first and think she trying to hard to be first so she slick trees but said you get off that tree and re cast her she will go find you a coon so maybe i will have a half ##*%* coon dog and day 50% is better than 0% so i will hunt her when i get her back and see what she will do for me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

That sounds like she just needs more practice. Shooting the coon down tells her she was right. You can also do that by giving them a treat or reward instead. Personally I prefer shooting them down but that's not just for the dog.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:25 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Damn I can't win with this dog hunts very well for the other guy shows me 3 slick trees a d a possum and gets on a track and locates then just leaves a d comes back to the truck getting old real fast