CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: need some advice!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hello, My name is Bryan. well I got into coon hunting a few years ago and fell completely in love with it. bought a dog and hunted about 4-5 nights a week. but just had okay dogs for the most part. well about a year ago I came across a deal of a lifetime a friend of mine sold me a nice 3 year old walker because he just had so much go to him. well me being a young feller I could go as far as he would. as I hunted him he got better and better to the point he was treeing more and more coons. he got to where even if he had to go 3-4 mile he would have a coon. so I started keeping records on him. by this past Feb. he was 85-90 percent accurate!!!! I know sounds unreal but he really was an amazing hound. well back in may he was stolen out of my kennel. someone had cut the lock off his pen and took my dog... it really broke me for a while, i worked so hard to be able to buy him and worked so hard just to get him in the first place and he wasn't only a dog he was a member of my family, i mean he rode every where with me and even went to weddings and family gathers. well moving on a buddy of mine had a little female walker that he gave me bred up pretty nice i would say and i have tried working her with a drag and hunted her with other dogs that i know are nice coondogs, treed coons every night i would take her with them. well needless to say she is now 14 months old and she will go with other hounds but so just got in with them and ends up by herself. not really barking will some but still hasn't treed anything. and the two times she was around a buddy of mine messing with his pup with a caged coon she was more worried about playing instead of going crazy over the coon like the pup did. i have since been laid off and cant afford to go out and buy another dog. i don't want to give up on her but i am still missing being able to go out and have a dog take off sown a creek and tree a coon. i mean i am not asking for perfection but it would be awesome just to have her atleast try to work a track and tree me one. i am just asking for some advice what should i do? should i keep trying her? or is it best just to to forget about her? thanks for reading!! one pic is of my male that was stolen the others is of my 14 month old female.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: need some advice!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:30 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Sorry to hear that, like the color

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:34 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

First off that sucks to lose a good hound like that. I lost my last dog to the road and had to start over. I know what you're going through. Stick with it. I personally like the dogs that take longer to start. They seem to be better dogs in the end. I'd spend time hunting it alone. If you see one in the tree put it on the tree and shoot it down. Shouldn't take many before it gets going.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:11 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thank y'all for the Advice!!! I am gonna keep working her.