CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 18 month old walker male. I raised him from a pup he is my first coon hound. he started treeing by himself at the tail end of last season at 7 months old. He started off this kill season ranging out better and hunting really well. He was very accurate. Our weather is still fairly warm here buy here lately he has dropped off on his accuracy and hitting more dens and slicks. I am concerned, not sure if he is just taking on rougher tracks as he feels more confident or if the coons are ranging farther and running harder?

I would like to correct him or help him do better but im not sure what to do? Maybe this is normal and just keep hunting him? I know he is still pretty young but I hate to see him slipping on accuracy.

thanks Nick

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I wouldn't worry I think coons are rutting some now to me that makes them harder to tree and plus run a lot further

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:04 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

only thing I can think of is there is a local guy I have hunted with several times before he has a 8 year old walker that I thought was about as straight as they come. every time I had hunted with him in the past she was super straight and always had the coon. I run with him out by the Missouri river recently and she slicked a few times, not sure if my dog picked up on this or not. I run him 95% of the time alone and I guess this proved I need to run him 100% alone.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:37 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

They do pick up bad habits from other dogs but I think they need to hunt with other dogs once in a while. I also like to hunt in competitions for the social aspect of the sport. So mine need to know how to act around the other dogs. But I do agree that at that age you should hunt them alone much more. Every pup is going to go through stages. Unless he's running trash or something I wouldn't crack down on him. Just use positive reinforcement when there is a coon in the tree. He'll get the hang of it. I agree right now they are running further. You'll also have problems in the spring when the kits have dropped. They don't smell right and play all day in a tree loading up the bad scent. This can drive even good dogs crazy and cause to slick tree. Just keep at it he'll learn the ropes.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:44 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

thanks Ugean I feel the same way I want him to learn everything on his own but he also had a few aggression issues on tree and I also need to work on those by running with other dogs. I realize he is a young hound but I want him to keep doing well. I run him 2 nights ago and he did better he tree a nice boar and then a sow. then had a heck of a race to a den tree. were going out tonight again so hopefully he will do well again. appreciate the advice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Just be consistent and firm. If he's treeing slick, let him know your not happy. My dog went through the terrible 2's and I thought my dog had gone crazy. But I stayed true and firm and believed in myself and my dog that I could train him, and it's finally working. He's been in 2 hunts and got a first and 2nd.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:14 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ya I think he is coming thru it went out a few weeks ago with him by himself he got 6 with just a few den trees. then this last Thursday I took just him out and 4 trees 4 coons.