CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:31 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My pup os 5 1/2 month old Bluetick. I take her the woods or road her a few times a week. She has yet to has yet to trail any animal even a squirrel. When she started to go on deer tracks I would tell her no and she stopped and I think she's broke from that. She will smell lots of tracks in the snow and keep going. Today she smelled something and as her back was turned a rabbit jump out and when I saw where it went and the pup was with me she never even attempted to trail the fresh scent. Don't get me wrong I don't want her running rabbits but I thought she should have tried to trail it.

Or is this a good thing she doesn't trail anything yet since she hasn't seen a live coon yet. Just smelled some training scent and a coon tail which I let her play with today. Then I put it in a tree and she will tree. Maybe tomorrow I will lay a scent trail down with the tail.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:23 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

its just her prey drive has not been triggered yet.
most any pup will chase what ever runs from it. if she saw the rabbit go she probly would have gave chase. after enough times doing that she would connect the scent with fur balls that run from her and start trying to work rabbit tracks.
if you get a pup to want a coon bad enough it will track and tree bark for it without you doing anything else but exposing her to coon.
you only expose them to coon and make em want them, you do not teach a dog to track or to tree.
if you are not careful exposing her to the off game you will have one very trashy pup.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:04 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

So what your saying is to not be taking her to the woods to run? I have no way right now to show her a live coon since they are hibernating. Like I said I didn't want her to trail the rabbit, I just thought it was strange she didn't attempt to trail a hot scent. Maybe it's because she has seen anything run from her. Which is a good thing right now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:21 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Let the pup grow up for a few months- you have plenty of time to work with the pup when it matures a little more... and as for coon hibernating.... they must be hibernating on the outside of trees, because we sure treed them good last night!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:54 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

there is nothin wrong with taking her to the woods to let her run and explore. she is not dumb, she is just a puppy and although she can smell scents from critters like rabbits and things she probly wont try and track em out because her prey drive has not been triggered yet. she has no idea the scent trail leads to anything. to her its just a different scent to smell around on.
jeeppro is right in my opinion also, she is too young to be trying to start her right now. at 8 to 10 months old she will be at a better age to start. enjoy her as a puppy now and create the bond with her. it will pay off during training.
coons may stay in their dens for a few nights when its really bitter cold. but they do not hibernate like a bear.
where in michigan are you located ?
this pic was taken in michigan, bitter cold in jan that night.

Last edited by toe cutter on Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:25 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm in Gaylord. I've never in my whole life seen a coon track in the winter. I even went out to a swamp the other day after a warmer couple nights and no tracks in the snow.

Well I did a very short drag with a thawed coon tail that I had frozen and she did somewhat follow it. And she did end up at the tail in a tree. And that's all I needed to see. Now I won't do it again for a week or so. And she just goes crazy with that tail. She just turns into a different dog when she smells it. I am happy now. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:10 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

good deal I have only trained one pup but it is working out good so far. I would count anything your pup is doing right at 5 months as a blessing. I would keep making scent drag trails for her. With my walker I would leave him in the house then drag a coon hide and make a scent trail then hang it in a tree and have the wife let him out when he found the tree I praised him a lot and just did this a bunch. Also I used to trap coons and I took him along on the line a lot, I would let him bark and mess with trapped coon then leash the pup up and let the coon out and let him tree it in daylight. They were worn out and usually treed in just a short distance then shoot it out to him. He was born in July and I was doing this in November. By the tail end of our season (end of January) he was starting to tree coon on his own. I think it is important to read your pup too, not all dogs are ready to start at the same time. My pup seemed to have a lot of drive and be very interested in coon and getting started but I wouldn't be worried If she starts later, A lot of guys on here say that's better anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:52 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

at that age like other said she is just going to sight chase. Time in the woods at that age is almost never bad. They learn so much at that age. They get comfortable. Sure they can start chasing trash but they are learning too so you should be teaching them what to chase and what not to. Here in western NY the coons are out all year so I'll shoot a few down and let them chew on them a bit. But don't shoot anything else or they'll think they should be going for that too. They'll figure it out. I would not use negative training at that age if they chase off game. Just ignore it. then positive if they chase coon. The biggest thing is get them out to see the world. Let them interact with other dogs, learn how to run through the woods and trip on sticks, that sort of thing. Remember to have fun too!

Profile  WWW