CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I got a 5yr old dog with the understanding he would hunt by himself. I have had him 2 weeks and when I have taken him solo he stays by my side. One night I walked 3 miles on creeks. Another night I stood in the woods for an hour with the dog no further than 15 yards from me. With other dogs he will go out and break off and go his own way to about 600-700 yards. He is hesitant about backing other dogs though. The way he loads and leads shows he has been worked with. Any advice would be appreciated. The guy who owned him before me said he never hunted him solo but he would track and tree with others but I haven't seen it.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Sounds like he needs some bonding time with you. Maybe he was beat up by another dog just before you got him.Also maybe the guy lied.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

RTWojo I believe you may be right on all accounts. A friend got a female from the same kennel and she was so skittish he decided to trade her. I am afraid someone used a heavy hand on them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:33 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Him not running the dog alone and letting it get this old probably really hurt it. Not saying he cant be worked with and made better. I know with my pup he wouldn't get very far from me when we first started going out and progressively each hunt he kept ranging out more and more. hopefully your dog will do the same even though he is older. In your 3 mile walk in the creek did he ever act like he caught a track or anything? my pup would stay pretty close till he hit a track then he would take off and run it and tree.

I am new to this sport but it seems to me a lot of guys want to run a lot of dogs together and then single them out and sell them as a "coon dog". this does not make a coon dog in my opinion. It is probably 1 good dog with a buncha other dogs following it around the woods but you single all the dogs out they cant put it together. I really hope your dog is a good one and will come on the more you work with him and get him to trust you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

On our 3 mile bonding experience he did sniff around but he never took off or acted like he wanted to. Last night he was heading towards a road and when I drove around and called him he came running almost like he was lost or afraid of being left behind. Like you I figure he hadn't been singled out when he should've. I have a dog I possum hunt with and I don't want to hunt the new dog with her. He did wake me up one night barking tree in his kennel and in a tree near him was a coon. But that is all I have seen him do. I was told he was a good track and tree dog but I haven't seen it yet. I wish I just stuck to my possum dog now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Sounds like he needs to be reminded what he is supposed to do. Treat him as a pup that has never seen a coon. Trap a live coon and start from scratch. Let him go after it in the cage or use a roll cage. And let the coon loose so he can chase it but not fight it. Do the last couple at night. Just retrain him. I wouldn't hunt him with any other dogs. Do the caged coon until you feel he knows what to do. But no more than five times. If he still doesn't know what to do he might not ever get. But do it absolutely no more than 10 times if he's a slow learner. Than it sounds like you might have to train him to hunt something else or turn him into a house pet.

I'm new at this coonhound thing. But I'm learning fast. By reading stuff on here and the Walk With Wick book. I retain stuff I read very well.