CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Did I ruin my dog????
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a 7 month redbone and I think I may have ruined him. I started him at 2 1/2 months old with showing him a coon hide and flicked the tail around and let him play with it. He was really interested so I moved on to short drags. At first I let him watch me a couple times make the drag and then let him follow it. After that I made drags when he didn't know I even drug it and let him follow it but always left the coon hanging which I think is my mistake. This is the part where I really screwed up and think I may have ruined him because I started bumping trees and he would bark on the scent of the coon well I pushed him along and had him find the coon hanging so then he would trail with his nose and then when he would get to the bumped tree he would look up then put his nose down and keep going until he got to tree he would see the coon and tree very good. Later on my buddy told me I was training him all wrong so I tried putting drags down and rubbing the hide on the tree then put the hide in a garbage bag and throw it in the truck. He now will trail deadly accurate just when he gets to tree he jumps on tree smells the tree up real good then wines or let's put a few barks. If I yell at him and push him to the tree and tell him to get on tree he will for a little bit. He doesn't slick tree at all he finds the tree every time with his nose but won't tree. Is he ruined????? If he isn't what should I do to get him to tree????? Any advice appreciated!!!!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:43 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

no, you didn't ruin your dog. But I think it would be a good idea to let the pup just be a pup for another couple months. Lots of pups get burned out by people pushing them too hard when they are too young. Ive had a couple hounds treeing wild coon at 6-7 months, but they were exceptions, not the rule.

I personally do not do drags at all. Many pups dont get excited over a dry old hide. I have seen so difference in a finished hound that was running drags from 3 months- 10 months as opposed to a hound that didnt get started until 10 months and went straight to the real thing.

When a pup gets to be 9-10 months, I will expose them to real coon, either hunting with a trained hound, or a caged coon. Once they trail a real coon, I quit with the cages. Do NOT overdue cage coons!

Then all you have to do is hunt him, and if its in him, you will see him get better and better. Its simple- reinforce the good behavior, and curb the bad behavior. You will have a nice hound by the time next season opens! Give me a holler if you ever want to talk hounds. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

agree with everything jeepro said... don't worry about anything and don't push your pup at that age. Once you have trained a few dogs you will start to know when the pup is ready for different things, which every dog is different. I started my first dog early he would run a drag like a pro and tree great at 5 months, he treed his first coon at 7 months old. I got a female and thought I would train her the same way, well she never got very excited on a cage coon or a drag. she would run the drag and then just come back to me even at 8 months old. she would never bark on tree, She is now 11 months old and has treed several coon on her own and even finished a track my older male slicked on and had the coon. I just took her to the woods with my older dog and watched her learn night by night. my point is most of these things you do to train pups work wonders on some and don't work at all on others. if your dog is ment to be a hound he will come on don't sweat it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:19 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

also when you run your drags after you do a few easy ones during the day to get the pup the hang of it. start doing them at night then you don't have any problems of the pup seeing the coon hide and they do all the work with their nose which is exactly what you want