CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: Slick!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:35 pm 
IP:
Almost forgot..................Big Game hunters not tolerating a slick tree, no game, or whatever you want to call it. If a hound runs any kind of big game down here where I live, it sure as hell is not going up a tree. It will be the kind that you will try and shock your dog off as soon as possible or you will find him a long ways from home on the highway or in a ditch.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:09 pm 
IP:
Mike Sylvester wrote:
Almost forgot..................Big Game hunters not tolerating a slick tree, no game, or whatever you want to call it. If a hound runs any kind of big game down here where I live, it sure as hell is not going up a tree. It will be the kind that you will try and shock your dog off as soon as possible or you will find him a long ways from home on the highway or in a ditch.

Hey Mike, way to think outside the box. Most people who call themselves big game hunters are hunting bears, lion and/or bobcats. All of which tree. I also lived in south texas. My dogs didn't false tree there either.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:51 pm 
IP:
Coonscry................Thanks so much for the advice. I thought all these years that big game hunters were after elephants, rhinos and water buffalo. I don't know how I have made it all this time without your timely intuition to help me out on these matters. As far as East Texas, the closet point to where I live is about 4 hours(250 miles). Next time you visit where you once lived in East Texas, you are more than welcome to make the drive to Clinton, La. and show me the 100% accurate, world champion caliber hounds you are hunting. I would feel honored to follow them thru the woods at my house with them showing me coon after coon! I have plenty of room and thousands of acres to hunt.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:04 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
if my dog was only 50%,75% or 90% accurate,i would not be hunting it. i'm not walking to slick trees.people say all dogs miss. my oh my,i have to disagree, dogs can be beat,leaning blown over tree or a cross over maybe. but to flat out miss the right tree on that % of tracks is not the type of dogs i am hunting.i've had many dogs that were one bark tree dogs,fast at locating or whatever you want to call it, and they did not slick tree. a dog with tracking ability does not come up empty.period.a good track dog can tell if a track goes up the tree or down and does not tree just because there is scent on the tree.alot of young dogs go through a phase of slick treeing,if hunted through it and corrected they get over it. if they don't, they will become old dogs in someone elses kennel......................TC
there are so many coon here in mich there is no reason for a dog to come up empty. i don't know what my dog would do in texas,but i did buy a female out of texas that was a grand nite ch. pkc silver ch and texas state ch. she had a heck of a time here because she was not able to handle so many tracks in the cornfields ,it stood her on her head.i left her running a coon in the cornfield,went and treed 2 coon with another dog,came back and she was still running in the cornfield.and it was not a one time deal,i gave her a fair and honest chance.maybe mich coon dogs have it too easy and thats why some are so accurate.i've messed with these hounds long enough to know when ever you say my dog will not do something is when they will do it.. :lol: if i'm walking to enough slicks to put a % on it in mich,then it is a slick treeing idiot.and i have seen my share of them over the yrs....................TC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

has anyone ever heard of a 5 year old dog start slick treeing. i know he will tree coons and havent had any problems with him until a couple weeks ago. he has slick treed 5 straight times now. at his age can this be corrected. i am open to any advice anyone can give me. i hope my dog is not ruined. i have heard of dogs having bad spells and snapping out of it. should I panic?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:47 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i would not panic.i dont know where you are located but it could be the frozen ground,frost or rutting boar coon going up and down trees.it is a rough time a year for alot of hounds.....................TC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

my dog was doin this too what i did about this is take her off the tree walk a lil piece and tell her to circle if she wouldl go back to the tree i would take a switch and hit her a couple times then walk and tell her to circle if she would go back again i would wear her out then walk and tell her to circle then she would pick up the track and tree it now she is accurate 80% of the time im not saying this would work for you but give it a try you never know

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:57 am 
IP:
Update on dog. Ear infection has cleared up and slick treeing seems to be a thing of the past. He is back to his old self. In the last three nights I have made 14 trees and had the meat every time. Over the last couple weeks he has either had the meat EVERY time or a den tree.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:08 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Hey tree dog I would work her on a drag and drag it close to the trunk of several trees but scent the trunk of the tree you want her to tree on real good. Teach her to check the trunks. It isn't all in blood. Did you know a lot of pointing breeds won't point a bird if they are not teased with a bird wing on a string when they are pups to kick in there natural instincts. There are some dogs that just dont have the drive to do much just like people and ambition but your time can make up a lot of differance if you have enough of it. Alot of people don't want to take the tiem on a slow dog. But some times it is worth it. In man tracking you teach them on lead how to work on top of the track and make corners in each direction. Then you teach them to trail on the down wind side of the track. Then if you want them to work reel old stuff. You teach them to drift. Witch is not acurate at all and they work a long ways off the track some times days old and 100 yards off the track. You will find very few that ever find any thing drifting unless it is a body. Just keep in mind just becouse it can't be tought in the woods at night doesn't meen it can't be tought. Some times you have to start back at puppy stuff to fix an experanced dogs problems. Some of the old dogs are probubley guilty of not checking the tree. I have a 8 month old blue dog that watch's the squirles play on the fence and trees he lives in. But he has never been worked with at all and I bet he makes a good dog in the end. I had a B.&H. dog that was that way at a year old and wouldn't leave my side or look at a caged coon but at 2 he was makeing a good dog. Heck of a kill dog after he cought a kitten on the ground. Would run and tree his own coon too. You never know what will tunr them on. To me it is worth a little food to find out. My old dog was as good of puppy trainer as you could find and an idiot shot him for biteing him. The man got mad becouse the dog came in sight while other dogs were treeing. Charlie would do that if the other dogs were trashing. I think it was his way of letting you know he wasn't in on it. Any way the man grabed him up by the meat on his back and neck and went to throw him and charlie got his hand a little. I don't take an assssssssss kicking and don't blame a dog for not. I might kick there tail for fighting or growly over food. But just getting miss handled for no reason. Nope If people would use a shock collar and just keep a low heat constant bump going till the dog quet the action they didn't like there wouldn't be so many dogs ruined in the woods

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:10 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

about a month ago i bought what was supposed to be a top hound from ohio. The first night i got home i hunted him and he treed 2 coon within 5 mins and then we went home. A few nights later we took him out and he slick treed 5 times. He has not treed a coon since the first night i have hunted him. He has prolly slick treed 20 times since then. He is prolly 10%-20% accurate right now. I dont know what caused this. I talked to people that hunted with the dog before and they all say he didnt used to be that way in ohio but he sure does in kansas. I dont know what caused this but i payed a pretty penny for the hound. The guy is nice enough to refund me but i really like the dog, and how he works a track, and his mouth, and i dont really want to return him. I want to see if i can fix the problem. But it dont seem like im going to be able to do that. any suggestions??

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:50 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I don't know the differance in the weather conditions between were you got him and were you are. It could be that tracking conditions were better when you first got him though. I live in north central okla. and know it has been dry for a long time. If you get a dog from some were that has been wet it will take a while to ajust. It may never ajust though. People don't realize all the variables in dogs. They are just as complex as a young human,attitude,evergy level,passive,aggresive,submissive,out going. Then take all that and give it to hunters (not dog trainers) that sell dogs A LOT and imagine if it was children. How many would come out well ajusted adults?
I have trained dogs for obeidence, made them awsome but when you give them back to the owner and you tell them the command is (Shep sit) and they say sit Shep the dog comes to them. When I give a dog a command I will allways say its name first then the command. If I just say its name it will come to me wondering if it missed the command.
So what I am getting at is that little differances in handeling makes a lot of differance. So differance's in climate does to. I know I will here lots of people say well I have hauled dogs all over the country and mine didn't have any trouble. Well I have to BUT I have allso hauled some that didn't do well. My first cadaver dog was a Lab. I could take her anywere bounce her out of the truck and she could work. But I have seen some that didn't. I use to teach at a seminar in Jacksborow Texas. I never use lib treatment of any kind but I would allways have to get some blistex as soon as I got there. I wasn't the only one either. I have a game warden friend (from North Carolina )that came to the same seminar and he had the same problem. It would dry our nose out too.
This is why there is so much differance of opinion and great dog stories. If they are hunted in the same places all the time they could get pretty acurate. Some are in real easy hunting too. Some are in real hard hunting. I think a lot of these guys forget to think about some of these things before they argue about weather some thing can be done. Then there is the fact that if some one lies, they will tell another to defend the first one and it just can't be solved on this thing.
The guy you bought your dog from is honest or he wouldn't give you your money back. I would get my money back rather than to try to change the dog. If it rains tonight it may do great tomorrow but the weather will go back to this some day. If it is the weather or climate if not you will never know what caused it to do it and if it started treeing every coon you will wonder if it is going to stop again. Can't anaylze a hound on a trail.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:07 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

One other thing that makes a BIG DIFFERENCE is if the guy you get a dog from is a heavy handed handler( whips a dog). The dog may not be afraid to do things with you that it is with other handler. Mine won't even mind my wife as well as me. I have had 2 that would listen to a command from her then look at me to see if they had to do it or not. Another reason why you can't analyze a dog's behavior if you haven't raised and trained it your self.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:10 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

kansasboy09 wrote:
about a month ago i bought what was supposed to be a top hound from ohio. The first night i got home i hunted him and he treed 2 coon within 5 mins and then we went home. A few nights later we took him out and he slick treed 5 times. He has not treed a coon since the first night i have hunted him. He has prolly slick treed 20 times since then. He is prolly 10%-20% accurate right now. I dont know what caused this. I talked to people that hunted with the dog before and they all say he didnt used to be that way in ohio but he sure does in kansas. I dont know what caused this but i payed a pretty penny for the hound. The guy is nice enough to refund me but i really like the dog, and how he works a track, and his mouth, and i dont really want to return him. I want to see if i can fix the problem. But it dont seem like im going to be able to do that. any suggestions??
take into consideration the weather,some dogs fall apart on the white frost, the ice, snow. the terrain , some dogs cant handle the stress from timbered out tree tops on a rough track and slick tree. swamps or what ever. when you find his weakness then thats where you need to hunt him or thats the type of weather he needs to be hunted in to make him stronger in those areas. some just dont have the nose or track sense to figure tracks out in those situations. the first 2 coon you treed were probably easy coon. send him off the slicks, then switch him off if he continues to slick tree and let him try to get it right.some dogs dont have the tools ,but alot are allowed to continue to slick tree and just get worse if not corrected...............TC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:35 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

One more thing that should be said about slick treeing. During the time the kittens are in the nest. A lot of trees are hollow all the way down to the ground. IF it has a small hole at the bottom like a lot of them do. There may be kittens laying right inside the bottom of that tree. They have been laying in there peeing and pooping with the mom laying in there with them. The scent will even soak into the wood. So you might want to check that if you can before you get mad at a dog that doesn't normaly slick tree.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:46 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

A Den tree is not a slick tree. And you'd be surprized at the size of a hole a coon nees to get inside (not very big). It doesn't have to be very big. If he can get his head in it, he's in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next