CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: shock collar puppy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Is 7 months too young to shock a dog on? Because my pup is starting to wonder around the neighbors house and when i call her to come in, she just ignores me. I just recently bought the Walk with Wick book and I am am going to try to go by his shock collar method, if she is not too young.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:44 pm 
IP:
I don't see how it would be to young but If you shock a dog to much it could ruin them.

Post subject: shock collar puppy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:01 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have 3 12 week old pups, that need some kennel manners taught to them. Are they too young to use a shock collar on to break kennel barking? I dont want to ruin them. Benn using buckets of water one is hard headed I guess.

Post subject: Barking pups
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:48 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I definately WOULD NOT shock them at this age! I've had a couple kennel barkers and had pretty good luck with a super soaker [ your kids probably have one already] you know, the squirt guns that shoot REALLY far. At the same time you're squirting say NO, Thats enough, or whatever term you want to use. The pups ARE old enough to start learning what NO means and who's wearing the pants around there! Separating them might work. I had a stubborn one and I'd RUN towards the kennel [ he knew I wasn't coming for a social visit!!], go inside, grab him by the skin of the neck, and look him right in the eye along with a LITTLE shaking and ask him WHICH PART OF KNOCK IT OFF DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!! If you can't get through to a dog like that, just think what the rest of training is going to be like the rest of his life!!!?? ADIOS AMIGOS!! Good Luck!

Post subject: Re: shock collar puppy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:47 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Id shock it when he wouldn't come and have it a treat when it does come. That way it will see negative response when it doesn't respond and positive when it does respond. May double your progress. The great thing about e-collars is the dog thinks what its doing caused the shock not you. So use it with that mentality and you will have success. Walk with wick is a awesome tool as well

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:36 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I might have screwed up. I just read the chapter in walk with wick on shock collars. I didn't use a dummie collar and now when my pup runs out of the yard she won't come back even after shocked. I think she might be collar smart.

She's fine while in the woods. If she gets on a fresh deer track I can shock and she stops trailing and goes on her way. But at home she won't mind while in the yard.

How do I reverse what I've done? If I have done anything wrong. Or just correct what I've done wrong.

I think she knows it's me giving her the shock. Because when the collar is on her in the house most times all I have to do is pick up the remote and she will stop what she's doing. She's knows the no command. And I've been saying no and if she don't respond I say no again and shock.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I don't use a dummy collar. I start by letting them wear the collar for a while before using it. But they all eventually figure it out. I tell them when they don't listen that I'm going to get the collar. Usually works. If it doesn't I put the collar on them. I also always put the collar on them for hunting since it's also a GPS and light. so they associate it with doing something they want to do. I use the tone to actually give them commands (to come) when they are far out. My advice is don't just use it for discipline but as part of life.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:56 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

It's goes on her everytime I take her to the woods. But it's only on her in the house when my nieces come over for jumping and stuff.

The problem I'm having is that she won't come when called while in the yard and if I shock her she ignores me but in the woods she eventually comes to me everytime I call her even without a shock. But yesterday she started to run right by me when I call her while in the woods and stop just out of reach. But if I plead with her nicely she will come to my side. I didn't have the collar turned because I think she is collar wise and I hope by letting her wear it all day for a couple weeks that when I turn it on and use it she will mind better.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:05 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

That's standard obedience training. Dealt with it with my 1.5 yr old pup last night. He got out of the kennel while I was feeding him. He didn't have the collar on so he thought he didn't have to listen. After a staring contest he would run away whenever I made a move. Eventually I caught him. I flipped him on his back and stared him in the eye until he submitted. That lets them know your are the dominate one in the pack. Issues like that you need to be consistent with your training. Letting them get away with it once will undo a lot of training.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:36 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well my pup is getting better with coming when called in the yard. ☺

But I think the collar isn't working properly. Sometimes she reacts others she does this can be just minutes apart. I trying to teach her the boundaries of the yard. I'm afraid to put tge collar one more hole tighter because in my opinion it's tight. Plus when she drops her head it don't work. But when she was next to me and her head was down i checked to see if the contacts were on her skin and they were.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:57 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I use the two finger rule. You should be able to get two fingers under their collar but not three. Does you collar have tone or vibrate settings? I try to teach them the tone means if they don't listen they're gona get hurt. That way I can also use the tone as the come command when they're out of voice range.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:09 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I can barely get 2 fingers under collar. It happened again today. I was watching her go near the road and I stopped her witb no command and she waited a few seconds and kept going I toned and then shocked after she ignored tone and she stopped. I called her and she came back. But she went back towards road and I did the same thing and there was no response from her. So I turned up the shock 4 numbers and as her paws touched the road I gave it to her and it worked again. I'm really not sure if she is just ignoring the lower shock or it's not actually working on those times she ignores it.

I do most of her training on a number 3 or 4. But I never have to go any higher than 8. Which was just thos once today. Usually no higher than 6. On 7 she will yip so I try not to go that high.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:26 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Its hard to say. Its possible its not working. What type of collar is it? I have definitely had them run through it though. I had one dog learned he could run out of range of it. So he just gritted his teeth and ran. Make sure you follow up with positive reinforcement when it does come. That works far better than shocking the hell out of them.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:49 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

It a Garmin delta xc. She always gets praise when she does anything right. Maybe I need to borrow a different one from someone and see if she still reacts the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:49 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

If its a Garmin you shouldn't be having issues. I've never personally used the delta xc but I've heard they are good units. I have never had a problem with my TT10. My older Tri-tronics and the ebay cheapies yes but never the Garmin. Did it come with different prongs? Mine came with I think two sets long and short. you can try the other prongs. My bet is she's just ignoring it. They can take a lot of pain.

Profile  WWW