CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:06 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Good luck....John Wick did the same thing with 2 walker pups a few years ago.In coonhound bloodlines..It didnt turn out too good for him..The dogs names Jack and Jill..

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:17 am 
IP:
Chet McCreary wrote:
Good luck....John Wick did the same thing with 2 walker pups a few years ago.In coonhound bloodlines..It didnt turn out too good for him..The dogs names Jack and Jill..

We sure don't know how they will turn out. I just hope we can do some learning along the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:21 am 
IP:
I think, given the fact these pups were not allowed to range out from the handler and were made to stay close I am going to hold off on the formal obediance training for now. I am going to work on getting them properly collar conditioned for trash breaking and coming when called but I think the first order of business is getting them to go out and work independantly from me. I have noticed them getting a little further out each night out and they are staying out longer each time. They are still clueless to the other dogs opening and don't know what it all means yet. So, how about some idea's to meet this goal? What should we do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:48 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Hey, LCK, I have an idea that may help quiet a pretty hot debate- during the training process, how hard would it be to show one of the dogs caged coon and not the other?I stand firm that caged coon don't help a dog's hunting ability and it seems to get an argument going every time.How 'bout it?I know, one dog may have more drive and desire than the other, and they have different personalities,but this is as close to identical training methods in two like minded,same age dogs as you can get.Good luck on the plan, by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:57 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

How are you going stop the growling in the box ?? e-collar,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:06 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

LCK, will either of them follow a trail? Even from a drag? Have either even seen a coon before?
coleman brings up a good point, I feel that a caged coon has its place, even if only to "show" a dog what the goal is, or to lay a trail to teach the dog to trail. to hang in the tree to teach the dog to tree... these lessons are what I feel will make the corralation about what your OTHER dogs are doing, and get your pups to start running with them... Once those lessons are tought, your pups would understand WHY they are treeing, and trailing, rather than just using instinct blindly....
I would hesitate, to work them two different ways, if you want them both to end up being coon dogs, but thats your call... remember, this is just my idea, I havent got the experiance most folks on here do with hounds...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:06 pm 
IP:
:D :D :D Hey!!!!! Now we are getting somewhere!!!!! This is what I was hoping would take place. I want a place where we can discuss specific training ideas and then decide on which direction to take and go out and do it! Coleman, old buddy, thanks for jumpin in and makin it happen. Knight, same to you ! These pups have not smelled, seen or been around a coon or a drag yet. I was just waiting for someone to mention it. Ok, now I will set some traps and thaw out a couple old coon and the initial exposure will begin!

The growling in the box and growling around strange dogs is going to be dealt with in this manner. I have arranged for several of my buddy's to bring different dogs around for the next few weeks. I am going to expose him to as many of them as I can. I will be ready to correct him with a quirt and e-collar at the first sign of aggression. Is it something that can be trained or corrected or is it a trait? We will see in the next several months. Some young male dogs at this age just need a little "guidance" on how things go. Some need culled. We shall see. Thanks again for the imput and participation. I will get to work now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:43 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

so are you going to work one with a caged coon and one without? you said..

"Ok, now I will set some traps and thaw out a couple old coon and the initial exposure will begin! "

you going to work one with a hide and the other with a live coon? the suspence is killing me here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:07 pm 
IP:
I think I will do a few drags and then drag a live one like I normally do. Release a few more and take it from there. I have a couple traps out tonight so should have somethin going in the next day or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:21 am 
IP:
Well, Smoke has been meeting a lot of new dogs this past week and has learned real fast he is to mind his manners. Ive been loading him up for a lot of rides around town and whenever I get a chance. I have been feeding him in the box and it seems to have helped his hesitance to load. He is very responsive to my voice warning if I see him stiffen up around other males. He has actually been getting along pretty good with them. I would have him on lead and walk him around the other dogs, they of course would smell each other then the leg stiffening and hackling up would start. The INSTANT I saw this start he would get a GOOD swat with the quirt and a sharp GET BACK command. This has resulted in him wanting to avoid other dogs as much as possible which is an improvement over him initially going to them with challenging body language. The next step with him will be introducing him to other dogs while wearing an e-collar and no people around. It's one thing to have them mind their manners in my company and another to do it while alone with other dogs. I suspect he will revert back to his old behavior, I actually hope he does so he can get a few good corrections.

Clyde has learned not to jump up as bad when we aproach him. I started out with the food pan. When he would jump up he got a slap with the quirt until he would sit down calmly. If he did I would give him a handfull of food and walk off. I would wait til he ate it and then aproach again, he would of course jump on me and get a swat with the OFF command. He would sit and earn another handfull of kibble. On the third aproach, he saw me comming and just sat without any command or threat of a swat. He got the rest of his meal. I have been going through this little session every day at feeding time. He has replaced his jumping up crazy acting behavior with sitting and barking. Now he is going to learn the SHUT UP command. Same thing, he has to sit quietly to earn a handfull of kibble. He seems fairly smart so I think he will catch on pretty quick. I will have some pics up this afternoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:04 pm 
IP:
LCK wrote:
The INSTANT I saw this start he would get a GOOD swat with the quirt and a sharp GET BACK command. .

What in the world is a quirt?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:18 pm 
IP:
I was wondering the same thing.

Post subject: GUESS...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:42 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

.. I used to know for sure what it meant before my head injury....
I THINK a quirt is like a riding crop. or whip.... a Switch.....
Could be wrong and can't bother to look it up right now, LOL, sorry BIG head ache! :) Heather

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Re: GUESS...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:46 pm 
IP:
BIGCASTLEDAWGS wrote:
.. I used to know for sure what it meant before my head injury....
I THINK a quirt is like a riding crop. or whip.... a Switch.....
Could be wrong and can't bother to look it up right now, LOL, sorry BIG head ache! :) Heather

Your right. It's a short handled, flexible swatting device with a wide leather flap on the end. Primarily used by barrel racers etc to. urge the pony's along. They are ideal for delivering corrections to dogs. They do not hurt the dogs bones or soft tissue, just givees em a good swack when needed. I very seldom ever leave home without one when working dogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:54 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Excellent, sounds good so far... what about SMoke being corrected to stay away from other dogs? Is he actually trying to avoid the other dogs or just the situatuons where he got an attitude adjustment?

I tried to get my wifes Quirt to use as a training aid, she just gave me the look and took it back to the Bedroom... :oops:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next