CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next

Post subject: COOL!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:32 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

That was great! Good opportunity! Interesting lesson for a young hound and you STILL got pix! Good Job! That first picture is Great of the coon face!
Heather

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:16 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Wow. All I can say is thanks for all the info so far. Sorry to hear about Smoke though. Reminded me of being on the football team with our star player being a hot head and couldn't handle the game. Some things just don't work out I guess. I hope to see my dog Red get used to other dogs better. I work with him quite a bit about that. I kinda feel like I've been watching a half hour series show or something... I'm all scrolling down can't wait to read the next thread. LOL. Anyways.... Thanks for the experience with the dogs.... A lot of lessons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

LCK.....I just registered on this sight tonight hoping to have some questions answered. Man did i hit paydirt. Your idea of group training is going to get me off to a great start. I will be reading this religiously. Sorry I don't have any input at this point.
THANK YOU ALL FOR SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE WITH BEGINNERS LIKE MYSELF,
Trae

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

This project sounds awesome and will help a lot of people out i think. I think this will help me with training my dog which is my first coon hound that ive ever worked with. thanks a lot!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:52 pm 
IP:
A little trash breaking: I took Clyde and a couple of his young cousins out for a little Deer and Elk hunting today. I was not dissapointed, we found several. I have been roading these pups quit a bit lately and getting them used to running or trotting along ahead of the vehicle. Periodically I will ease way off and let them get a good distance ahead of me and then call or whistle for them to come back. The e-collar is used to help them do it now rather than later. Roading is also a very good way to keep the dogs in running shape. It has taken about 5 outings for them to get the hang of it and things have been going pretty good. Now that the dogs have gotten used to roading they have realized that they can use this semi free time to do a little hunting along the way. This is also a very good thing. I have been intentionally NOT roading them in area's where they would be very exposed to too many temptations because the goal, up until now, has not been exposure to game. It has been how to road. Well I figured now is the time to take it up a notch, and took these little Blue dogs, Clyde included, to Deer and Elk heaven. During the winter months the Deer and Elk congregate in certain low narrow canyons and can number in the hundreds in any given herd. The tracks completely cover the ground from canyon wall to canyon wall. Sure enough, just around the second bend there they were. Scrambling out of the roadway in every direction. At least 75 head of cow elk. Yep, they took the bait and headed out in full cry after them. The e-collar was deployed from behind the steering wheel while still driving and after going through several levels very quickly, Ole Clyde decided this was not something he really wanted to do and came back, along with the other two yearling pups. They hung pretty close to the vehicle for about ten minutes and then started roading out in front again. I watched closely and before long I could see Clydes head go up as he started winding something on up the canyon a ways. Just around the corner was another herd of Elk. Instead of out and out sight chasing them this time, he decided to put his nose to the ground and run the tracks they had left on the road. I let him get good and committed and as he was building up a pretty good head of steam I started up through the levels on the e-collar. It did not take long at all and he was back on the road and peacefully trotting down the middle of the road like he has been doing for the past few outings. Seeing him quit the game this time I stopped and called him in and loved him up pretty good along with the other two, who had pretty much acted the same. We took a break from running the road and just kind of hung out and messed around for a few minutes. I then loaded them up and headed to another canyon. This gave them a good 30 minute break to think about the mornings activity. In the next canyon, we very calmly traveld through one more good sized elk herd and a herd of wintering cattle. So far so good. I will continue this little program for the next few weeks with Clyde and company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Sounds like things are working out pretty well. It was best to hear Clyde trying to find the tracks after he noticed the herd. Well keep up the updates... smart training tips. Kind of what i call no nonsense training. Might be going on a little trip in the woods later tonight. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:11 am 
IP:
I took Clyde and two other young dogs out for a little coon hunting last night. We were walk hunting down the river and pretty soon I heard Clyde and the other pups open. Pretty soon they both shut up and the little females came back but no Clyde? I went on and finished the mile long hunt without another chirp from the dogs. I still had not seen nor heard Clyde anywhere. I got back to the rig and tried him on the box, nothing. I loaded the other dogs and started driving around trying to find him. Still nothing. After about two hours I finally started getting a signal back where we had started. I found him milling around right where I had dropped him off earlier. He was wet so he must have crossed the river and headed up stream as I was looking down stream. So, my question is this. What was he doing? One of my biggest concerns with Clyde is getting him to GO out and hunt. Well he sure went tonight. I suspect the pups bumped a deer. The deer crossed the river and the two females quit and Clyde did not. I wonder? At any rate I am treating this as a positive thing. #1, Clyde went on his own for over two hours. #2, He came back to where he was dropped. I have no idea what he was doing but he was at least doing and doing by himself! Progres is how you look at it I suspect. Any thoughts on this hunt and Clydes progress so far?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:54 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hm... I'm no expert but I'll tell ya what I think. I think the fact that he was gone and out hunting is definitely a positive thing. However, what he was hunting is unknown and not a sure thing. So, since you're not sure what he was hunting I would work with him more on anything to do with coons. I'm talking about trapped coons, drags, I would start advancing to this now before he gets to liking to track deer and other little pests. Another thing is him being gone for 2 hours. Just like with Clyde going out and hunting. It's a positive thing and possibly a negative thing. (Possibly.) It leads me to think yes it's great he was gone that long out there trying to get him something but he might not know exactly what he needs to be hunting for. Or that he may be having trouble keeping a scent or track. I think both of these scenarios could be dealt with easily with trapped coons drags. He sounds like a good one but just needs a more detailed direction. Anyhow... that's just my two cents. Good luck with him. If he was my dog I would'nt give up on him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

First off I would to say i think you are doin a great job Wally. Things dont always go as we would like and we all should remember that not every pup turns out to be the barn burner we hoped. I think I have to give the dog the benefit of doubt as to the other night, if I have very little evidence that he was chasin deer than i wouldnt punish him for it, because he was out and that is a plus.
Good luck, maybe this will be the dog to beat in the basin this year!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:30 am 
IP:
good or bad it's experience. if he was on junk he didn't run it all nite and found his way back to where he was dropped. he's certainly going out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:24 am 
IP:
I haven't had Clyde out for a while. It's been slow as far as coonhunting goes lately and too dang cold for me to be honest LOL. Been busy with some of the other dogs and daytime running. I have had Clyde out during the day and doing more roading and trash breaking etc. He has gone down a few Bobcat tracks but nothing special to report. The weatherman tells us to look forward to a warming trend these next few days and nights. If so, he will be back in the coon woods. I think laying them up for good periods of time doesn't hurt em at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:19 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

LCK, this is a great project you are doing her. Alot of people are benefiting from your public training project. My hats off to you partner!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:31 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

This is a Great idea. Have you caught a coon yet? what are you using? what really works down here is dog food or cat food mixed with peanut butter or syrup. It gets one almost everytime. It sounds like this dog is coming along great. Has he been out lately with other dogs. If so how is he doing. Has he split treed ever? Could you post pics of him from when you started this and recent pics to show how he has gotten bigger? well thanks agian for doing this it helps us all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:15 pm 
IP:
He has started running a little with the other dogs and going out longer by himself. I plan on turning a few coon out for him here pretty soon. It has taken a good while to get him to leave my side. He is improving little by little. I am going slow and being patient with him. Trying to make every outing a positive one ending on a good note always. Little victory's add up in the long run. Thanks for the kind comments and remarks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:40 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

yeah all the little stuff adds up to a big thing.This dog sounds like it is gonna turn out to be a good hound.You really know what your doing training this dog. Hope this dog gets the right hunting in the end and makes someone real happy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next