CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:20 am 
IP:
I don't want him avoiding other dogs, I hope to expose him enough for him to "learn" that there is simply no profit in trying to be king of the roost. I am not seing real dog agression behavior from him. It is more of I don't really know how to act so I will act tough. It usually takes a little modifying for them to mend their ways. I am seeing very good progress. I have been coupling him on lead with all the males I can find and leading them around and working on obediance etc. He is coming along ust fine.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: LOL
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:47 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

LMBO,Knight... I used to have a tack rack in the bedroom where I hung my special bridles. On top I kept a Very specila gift from a late uncle, an antique Hunting crop with a hooked handle for opening gates. Over time I kept my better dressage whips there too Whenever people made a joke about whips in the bedroom I would Die laughing. Horse humor. Glad I was right... When I had my head injury I lost a good deal of memory and some seemingly simple words. Somehow quirt was still familiar ;)
Sounds like Smoke will improve as he gains self confidence. Like a Blully the less confidence the more Puffing up. So he should improve well with PROPER training. Certainly easy for a BAD trinier to ruin a dog like that. Especially a Hound since they are "soft" dogs. My BnT is a bit like that. He isn't aggressive though. Alos doesn't hunt and get exposed to strange dogs much. Today at the vet...LOL... he was Utterly Horrifed by my vets little terrier (Can't for the life of me recall what it is Red colored Wire haired...) Webster was SHAKING like a Pitiful 28 1/2" talk leaf when we finally made it past the evil terrier to go into the building...LOL... Poor webster, he'll never be normal.
This is really interesting. Look forward to hearing the next installment on the progress. Have fun! HappyHunting,Heather

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:28 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

suonds like a good plan

Maycumber's Back Creek Bourban Kennels
Home of Neosho River Macey Joe
Back creek babe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:48 am 
IP:
Well I think ole Smoke is getting the idea. He has been loaded and hauled with a ton of different dogs this week. Males and females. I haven't seen or heard him act growly. Seems to me like he is figuring out the rules of conduct.

Took Clyde out the night before last. I saw him twice, once when I cut him loose and once when I caught him at the tree with the other dogs. I even heard him open a couple of times.

I have not been able to catch a coon yet so we will just keep handling them in the woods until we do. So far so good with these two pups.

Post subject: GOOD NEWS
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:46 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

SOunds like things are going well! REAL pleased with the dogbox thing! Amazing what some decent discipline can do!
HappyHunting and training! Heather

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:13 am 
IP:
Well, it has been about a week sense Clyde has botherd jumping up and mauling me when I am around him. He is standing still and acting like a gentleman. The only problem now is he only behaves around me and if anyone else comes up to him while on the chain he blows up and explodes on them :D . So I guess it is now time to get some volenteers to step in and get jumped on so he can learn not to jump up period. He definately knows the OFF command, now he just nees to hear it and have it enforced by others.

Smoke is just about over wanting to be growly. Haven't seen a raised hackle or heard a grumble from him for some time. Ole Smoke got off his chain the other day and spent all night and half the day down on the river bottom. I finally found him by listening for him. He had something in a hole. It wasn't a skunk but did have sharp teeth judging from the holes in his snout and lips.

Both dogs have made great progress handling on lead and are collar conditioned to come when called now. I think it is time to go to the woods a lot and put them in situations where they can really have a chance at some trash.

Post subject: Sounds good!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:18 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Sounds like things are going well. I rememebr having to call in rienforcements training my old GSDs not to jump! Man that was AGES ago!
They seem to be building confidence for sure. I know it takes self confidence and confidence in the handler to gat a hound(or any dog) well trained.
Hope it keeps going well with Both! Heather

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

LCK, let me begin by saying I am a novice and this is a sincere question. I reread all the posts and couldn't find where the dogs have been shown what you want them to run. Maybe I missed it. My question is this: Do you recommend breaking from trash before exposure to the desired game? Thanks

"Took Clyde out the night before last. I saw him twice, once when I cut him loose and once when I caught him at the tree with the other dogs. I even heard him open a couple of times."
Sorry, I missed this one.
Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:37 am 
IP:
7R's WV wrote:
LCK, let me begin by saying I am a novice and this is a sincere question. I reread all the posts and couldn't find where the dogs have been shown what you want them to run. Maybe I missed it. My question is this: Do you recommend breaking from trash before exposure to the desired game? Thanks

"Took Clyde out the night before last. I saw him twice, once when I cut him loose and once when I caught him at the tree with the other dogs. I even heard him open a couple of times."
Sorry, I missed this one.
Phil

I do prefer doing a good bit of handling and what I would call pre training prior to imprinting desired game. I like to do a lot of asessing and confidence building with most young dogs first. When I have had them in the woods at night, it has been with a very good, well broke straight coon dog just to help avoid too much mischief. These two dogs had a few issues that I wanted to work through before getting too worried about hunting yet. I would have liked to had most of this work done by the time they were a year old but I got these two at a year old so I am having to go through it with them before introducing to coon. Once I am confident a decent foundation has been set, I will start working them with a few coon. They won't be trash broke or handling like an old pro, but should be well started in those area's before they really start hunting hard. I hope by doing it this way they should progress fairly smoothly without too many set backs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

This is an excellent forum post....keep it up lck, it appears that it is getting everyone involved......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:45 am 
IP:
Smoke, Took Smoke along with three other dogs the night before last. He grumbled a little when I loaded the strange dog but shut right up when I scolded him. Did not have another growl all night. The dogs caught a coon in a thick cattail slough. Smoke got too em and got in on the fight. He stuck with it until the job was done. We pulled the coon out on to dry ground and held him back while the other dogs wooled it good. He went nuts. Pulled all of them off wanting more and recast them. Smoke seemed to turn on a little more. Hunted out longer and "wanted" to be with the other dogs. We did not get another run. Coupled him to the other male and brought em home. Progress is slow and steady but promising.

Post subject: GREAT
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:42 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

This is great to listen to the progress. REALLY good to have Smoke end the grumbling AND to have him in a coonfight with NO aggression!
Keep it up and keep it coming! This is a great way for us out here to learn!
Tahnks,HappyHunting Heather

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:09 pm 
IP:
Took Clyde and Smoke out today for some handling and freecasting for Lion or bear or trashbreaking, whatever came first LOL. They did pretty good. Did not pay attention to several fresh deer tracks but did make a good effort to run and old lion track. Had a few grumbles in the box throughout the day but they settled right down with a couple of beep tones on the collars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:15 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I know this is from a few posts back but how do you exactly collar condition a dog to come when called?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have the exact same question.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next