CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:32 am 
IP:
The good news is we had a great night. The bad news is not one of the pics turned out, not one, too much steam and brush etc.

I took Heavy the pup trainer and Stinger out last night. Heavy struck and ran one for about a quarter mile. I did not hear Stinger at all but I didn't see her either. I found em both at the tree. Stinger was smellin around and checking up the tree but not barking. Heavy was hammering. I tied Stinger back and gave Heavy the coon. Stinger wanted in pretty bad LOL. I then re cast em. Heavy struck again and caught one on the ground in the cattails. I then heard Stinger join in the fight. I got to them in time to see her pulling a little hair but mostly cheerleading. She was certainly into the deal pretty good. I caught them both off and let the coon run off for about ten minutes. I cut them loose and it took a good ten or so minutes but Heavy found him in a tree. Stinger was at the tree and would get up and bark for a few seconds then run around actin the pup. I tied her back and really loved Ole Heavy up good. I squalled, shook limbs and raised a fuss at the tree for a bit. This really got her going. I then re cast em. It took a good 15 minutes but Heavy struck again. Stinger did manage to open a few times on track and crossed the river twice on this race. Heavy treed and Stinger was treeing on and off. I got there and tied her back and knocked it out to Heavy. Once he was done woolin it in front of Stinger for a bit, I tied him off and took Stinger up to the coon on lead and let her wool it for a few seconds and then pulled her off and headed to the truck.
All in all a favorable first outing for this pup. She did not get bored or quit. She managed several tight fences, river crossings, avoided a good many chances at off game and cattle. She got a pretty good idea of what happens in the woods at night without having any set backs. I will lay her up for a day or two and take her back out for a short romp in the woods at night by herself.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:51 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Sounds like everything is going pretty well. Keep us posted!

Post subject: what now?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:01 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ill start off by sayin this is great and is going to help alot! i jus recently bought a 7 month old walker female..i havent took the pup out yet but she comes from good blood and has great family history..the fella i got her from only had her out in the woods a couple times with his older hounds and didnt have anytime to mess with her..seems he was more interested in his males.. my question is..where should i start??????? i jus want to make sure i go about things the right way since this is really my first time training a pup..shes a smart one..and well mannered...should i spend so much time with obediance before gettin her in the woods since shes already 7 monthes old? any advice would be greatly appreciated! and again thanks for all the input so far!!

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:35 am 
IP:
I think you should work on getting a handle on this dog before hunting. Like I have mentioned before. Get this pup used to the trappings surrounding hunting first before actually hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:46 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

last night I came across one of those chances that come along every once in awhile to get a lesson in for my two female and to see what my new Male can do.
My girl friend pulled in the driveway and told me there was three coons in the ditch by the mail box. We live back in the woods and are on a private road so I don't really need to worry about traffic all that much. I haven't had my new Male bluetick out since getting him due to weather and 4 ft of snow in the woods so I turned him out of the kennel and walked with him to the end of the driveway after a couple of minutes. he struck as soon as we reached the end of the drive way and away he went across a small field in the next woodlot over. i walked back to the house and got my other two dogs. turned them loose near the spot where blue struck and they both struck and headed out too. About 5 minute later I could hear Blue treeing and a couple of minutes after that I heard the two girls join in. All three of them coon were up the same tree. I knocked one out after tying of the dogs let it run aways and let the dogs go again. Treed shortly after. I chained em all up and headed home to the kennel.

Note to self - walking three fired up coon dogs at the same time is NOT fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:26 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

that sounds good for her first NIGHT out do you think she will respond to being tied back while heavy gets the coon?????

better luck with the pics next time out :D :D

MEL MALONE
TO HECK WITH SAVING SOME FOR SEED...THATS MOTHER NATURES JOB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:57 am 
IP:
mel m wrote:
that sounds good for her first NIGHT out do you think she will respond to being tied back while heavy gets the coon?????

better luck with the pics next time out :D :D

I plan on tying her back every time I get the chance until she starts treeing. Just seeing the small improvement with her after being tied the first time is encouraging to me. I do not like putting a dog on the tree and encouraging them to bark. I think this is a common mistake many of us are tempted to make. The dog needs to figure it out on it's own. I just kind of scratch my head when people can walk up to any ole tree and pat it and their dog hooks up on it and goes to "treeing". As soon as the dog is barking due to it's finding scent on the tree I will certainly love em up a bit, but they gotta do it on their own first. Until then, they are tied back and made to spectate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:02 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i see your point with wanting her to tree the scent i had a good laugh after reading that comment about slapping the tree because i think i have done that a 100 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:11 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

wel LCK have u had her out anymore what is she doing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:50 am 
IP:
Been slow lately. Not much to report. Stinger is growing and maturing. A few more short weeks and she will be ready for a bit more hunting time. She is showing everything I would expect from a pup. I am just being patient and taking it easy with her for now. Short fun exposures to hunting then a good long layup. I plan on getting her out for a bit more night running come the first of the week. The ice is off the rivers now and the coon are moving good so it should be just right for puppy huntin. Spring bear season opens here on the 7th of April. I plan on taking her out a bunch. I won't turn her in but I will leash her up and walk her in and start getting her use to the rig box etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:21 pm 
IP:
[quote="LCK"]She is showing everything I would expect from a pup.
What is it that a pup should be showing that you expect.
just kind of curious

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:32 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Good news LCK. I did trap 2 coons the past 2 days. I let my plott watch the coon go when I released it. Then I let her go, but the coon went directly up the first tree it saw and nothing really came out of it. The next night I got another coon, so we did the same thing except I let the dog go a little early because I didnt know if the coon would tree or not. My Plott Sugg went after the coon instantly and she treed. The only thing is, she wasn't confident that she treed. She was running around the tree a lot and sniffing at the base of the tree, but the important thing is that she treed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:19 am 
IP:
Treeingwalkers101 wrote:
LCK wrote:
She is showing everything I would expect from a pup.
What is it that a pup should be showing that you expect.
just kind of curious

I like a pup who shows confidence in it's surroundings. One that is bold and confident when put in new situations. One that seems to own the ground it is standing on if that makes sense? I like a pup to follow it's nose and gets distracted by all the new scents it is confronted with. One that can overcome mistakes with ease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:33 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Is there any update on Stinger?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:35 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

ive got a blue pup just bout ready to turn 1 year. hes strikin decent and was treeing really well ....hes hasnt caught a coon on the ground yet and is startin to get a little sloppy treeing. U have any suggestions on gettin him treein good? id really like to shoot one out, but dont really wanna get caught either. u think a cage dragged around and up a tree will get him fired up? there is a field trial comin up and nitehunt and really wanna get this dog treein hardcore. any ideas?

Profile  WWW

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next