CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Young dogs
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:40 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ok i have 2 young dogs and here lately its hard to tree a coon around here there just not moving as much and there's no easy track. Lately they have been treeing in holes and what do i see everytime nothing besides an armadillo. Like i said they are young and i think they just hunt till they find something to tree. They kno better because everytime i get to them they shut up and look at me like they know they have done wrong. So my question is since it is tough hunting should i just keep them up another month till hunting is better or keep hunting them and discipline them everytime they do wrong. They hit cold tracks and take them as far as they can and i guess just give up after they come across a dillo.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Young dogs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:49 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i only hunt a pup when i know the coon are moving,the weather and conditions are ideal for a pup. all cards stacked in thier favor. i try to saturate them with coon so they dont have time to dink around and find other things to get after.
one of the best reasons to use a older dog with a pup is so it gets on a coon and keeps the pup off trash. and i never hunt 2 pups together at one time. alot of people think a pup has to be doing it by 6 to 10 months old. i dont start them till 10 to 13 months depending on the pup. its better to wait till everything is right, they learn so much faster. getting pups to start bad habits is much easier then stopping them once they start.

Last edited by toe cutter on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:04 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks toe cutter i figured its better to ask and see what a more experienced person would say then ruining some good young dogs lol i tell u something if we only had armadillo hunts i might have some future prospects!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I don't nearly have the expertise or experience, but something to maybe add on to what Toe Cutter said:

If they are actually trailing and baying those armadillo in the holes, I'd be doing something to reinforce that is NOT acceptable. While I agree with what Toe Cutter said about what age and conditions to start a pup, I do still take a young dog for a walk on the leash occaisonally when hunting and it creates some opportunities for training.

Case in point: Took an 8-month old pup last night on the leash while the other dogs hunted. I have not done a thing to train this dog on coon yet other than the occaisonal walk in the woods while hunting (always on a leash) or during the day so she can get "used to the woods" and her obedience and handling stuff.

Last night was clear and cold and the older hounds got treed about 300 yds in from the truck. On the way into them, I saw a possum hiding in some tall grass. I let the pup see it, she started sniffing and barking at it, and I hit her with the shock collar. Fifteen minutes later went back where that possum had been sitting and the pup skipped right over that spot. So, lesson one that possums are bad.

I would suggest some discipline if they are chasing armadillo. I agree 100% on the right conditions being important to start a pup, but be consistent in reprimanding bad behavior no matter what you're doing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:48 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yea i have disciplined them and they will run and tree with older dogs except one that is 100% independent. But thanks for the advice would u guys just take them and if i come across a hot track turn them out?