CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Food Aggression
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:13 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Pen and woods are two completly opposite areas for hounds I would [url][/url]not worry.

What I do is feed them alone. Coondogs are notorious for food agrression. I have a blue dog right now also he has always been on edge around food never growled but stop eating head lowered over food and neck hair up. Telling me this is mine get away!
The putting the dog on his back is good advice my suggestion do this away from food bowl. I walked my blue tick one day a mile. Holding a half inch piece of pvc pipeif he got ahead light tap on the nose and back at same time he learned quick so only needed to do this one day. Ok now reason behind this I feed twice a day and bluetick is one to slam the food. So I walk in feed reach out get that piece of pipe put my foot over the bowl stoving his nose back and taping is nose saying back. Backing him. Up a foot away. Him standing there 5. 10secs then removing my foot I reward him. Did this for three days twice a day. On second day he needs to stay back until I say OK. This method only took a max of a hour spread out over 4days. He now stays back away from food when I'm in pen in I don't say ok till pen is shut he is constantly watching me saying your the boss. I would never put my hand down or handle an aggressive dog over what he is aggressive about. like sticking your hand in a trap.
My method only solves food domensence over me and the dog. Dogs solve there own domensence why I feed seperate.
Beating a dog over growling is like yelling at someone to be quiet. Works on some but sooner or later your going to get knocked out.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I also have an aggressive 3 month old pup but not towards other dogs but towards us, it only realy happens over her food couse my 2 yr old keeps messing with her food trying to eat it and i would pop her and say no and then the would cower down and snarl/growl and snap at ME! Id pop her again and it only got worse and she would pee on the floor like she was scared to death but keep on acting out and i dont know what to do...how do i discipline this pup without hurting me or her and make her understand that isnt put up with??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I don't mean this in a smart way. It does amaze me how every one has something different they do and work and yet people try to find the "standard" way to train dogs. Everyone is right alot of it is because of fighting over food when younger. However I do not allow my pups to fight over food. It is the littlest things that turn out to be big ones. I do not let any of my pups (yes starting once the eat hard food) in the food bowl. That is claiming the dish, it is my dish and I will do what I want with it. If you study dog behavior the pack leader eats first. That is me I mess with the bowl and they wait. Once I am done then they can eat it also helps take the excitement out of it. I also pet every pup while they are eating and any fuss they raise I just pinch them on the neck like a little bit.
Now for one that already started I will start by standing next to the food bowl while feeding and start getting closer and closer to the bowl. At the first sign of aggression or guarding of the food bowl I move them away and claim the bowl. I then allow them to come back and start all over again. Usually after a few minutes they catch on, if not I will take the bowl and try again later. Tehy will learn to eat you must behave.

GRCH Quail Hills Juice Berr-ee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:35 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

While on the topic of eatin the youngest of my two dogs. About a year an a half. Eats super fast. How can I get him to slow down while eatin? I can drop the food bowls an tell em go ahead then walk to the other end of the house fill up the water bucket n by time I'm back he's done eatin. when I tell him to slow down he'll back off the bowl n look at me then go right back to it. I don't know what to do here but he hardly chews his food an I can't get no meat on his bones. He looks almost starves n eats like a horse

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:11 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Stay in the pen with him and watch what he does as he eats. If he's eating fast just try to calm him down by talking to him. I have a walker that was the runt of the litter n did the same thing. I calmed him down by staying right next to him as he ate for almost a month. He finally started eating at a normal pace. Now he chews everything I give him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:15 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanx. I've tried it once er twice just never thought doin on a regular basis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:01 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Put his food on the garage floor or a tupperware lid so he has to pick up each piece. That will slow him down.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

This may sound dumb and you fellas can laugh at me if ya want to. Couple years back i started watchin that Caesar Milan show "dog whisperer". I laughed myself silly watchin that show. Just so happens after watchin that show for a couple weeks I picked up a jack Russel/Rat terrier pup (just for a house dog) and i thought..what the hell...I'll try the techniques he uses just for kicks. Long story short i get compliments constantly on that dog on her behavior. I've started using some (not all) of what I've learned from that show on my coon dogs. I've learned alot about dog psychology just from watchin that show....just a thought. Sorry for the long post.

Sent from my C5155 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Post subject: Food Aggression
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:54 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Hey if it works, doesn't matter where you get your information. Whether it be some old codger in overalls with tobacco juice running down his chin.
A book from a world famous hunter
Or some tv show with an eccentric host. I call it being open minded..lol

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Stayin in the pen with him really helped. Now he eats almost slower the my other dog. I haven't been at it that long but it works. He chew n tasted just about every piece of food instead of just swallowing it. But thnx I have heard of spreading the food out like that the pound told me to do that with my bluetick cuz he was like 15 pounds under weight from being starved. Never did it cuz I didn't have to

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:22 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

They also make bowls specially designed to slow dogs down. That would be another option.

Ceasers tv show is pretty watered down, and geared towards newbie dog trainers. His books go much more in depth. Ceasers training is spot on, and I agree with most of his teachings. Unfortunately most of his stuff is geared towards house dogs, however there can be many correlations drawn towards hunting dogs. Especially in the area of understanding what your dog is communicating.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah that dog whisper guy is full of crap. He goes to dogs he doesn't own. My dog will work for me and only me. He won't hunt with anybody else. God spare the day he dies!