CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: hot nose - cold nose
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:02 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

i'm confused about what this means. i thought i understood and then i got to thinking about it.
cold nose- dog can and is inclined to work a older track. but will also take a hot track.
hot nose- dog not inclined to work a older track. looks for a hotter track.
so, based on this, it seems a cold nosed dog is better because it will take both a hot and cold track, unless, the hunter doesn't want to take the time to work out a cold track because it will take longer.
am i right or wrong or close?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:39 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Sounds about right. The cold-nosed dogs will take the first track they find no matter how old it is. Cold-nosed is not good in competition because your dog will be working a track out that could take a while to get to the coon while the hot nosed dogs passed it over and found a newer track with a coon very close by. They will be treed while your dog is still working the track. Cold-nosed is good for just enjoying your time in the woods and listening to your dog work where there isn't any pressure to get a lot of coons in a short time.

Post subject: info on cold or hot nose
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:37 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

:? my english male on hunt friday night. we got all dogs out. it was a 4 dog cast.he has done this many times, he started barking as soon as
his feet it the ground.i thought to my self he smells a coon.we walked about 25 yards off the road cut um loose. he was in front as they went over hill. about 75 yards he located 2 times shot to right 100 yards, locked down. he left two dogs on slick tree, and he and other
dog had coon. he can wind a coon from back of truck, now is he cold or hot nose? woodstock grizzly dog.

Post subject: Re: hot nose - cold nose
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:26 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

well it could mean either really. the track that he found could have been really hot and he just happened to catch it right out of the truck or it could have been colder and he just worked it to a tree. it all depends those coon can be really tough to predict!

Post subject: dry nose
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:55 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What does dry nose mean on a dog him seems to be missing more then normal I mean its dry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

A Cold-Nosed dog is a dog that CAN work an old track

A Hot-Nosed dog is a dog that CAN"T work an old track.

Both dogs will hit newer tracks over older tracks because they smell stronger and are more exciting to the dog.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:08 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

A dog has a good nose or bad nose. If he can smell old cold tracks he's got a good smeller but the differnece is can a cold nose dog run the cold track. There's. Nothing like a dog running a cold track down a creek or river bottom to circle around for half hr trying to find it.

If I got a cold nose dog that can't work a cold track I do my best to teach them to go on. If you have a hot nose dog they better get in get deep and by god you can tree a lot of coon fast sooner or later they will stumble apon that big boar. A cold nose dog that can move the track fast are good hounds tree a lot of coons in a small area.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

From my experience a cold nosed dog tends to run the first track he comes across and a hot nosed dog will look for a hot track. I personally prefer a hot nose for one reason. There is always that one comp hunt where there is one hot nosed dog in a cast of cold nosed dogs. If there is quite a few coon in the area the hot nosed dog will lay up and split tree. On the bad side if there are no coon a hot nose dog usually comes back in and gets minused his strike points. I think this could go either way depending on the hunters need.