CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:53 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i have a friend that has this blue dog. He goes out and hunts but when he trees he will just bark a couple times then loose interest. Then when we walk up to the tree we try to get him going again. We threw sticks at the coon and that seemed to fire him up.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:10 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I have a 2 yo that is doin a great job by himself. But when hunted with other dogs he will leave his tree and go to hers. I don't know if he will do this with other dogs I just really noticed it with this one gyp that he was basically started with. Should I shock him when he does this? And make him stay put?

NITECH KJs MAIN STREET UGLY
PR TRAILERS HIGH STAKES DEALER

Justin Earls 601 214 3196
RED BOY KENNELS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:34 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Im having similar problems with my dog....what he will do is he will get gone and tree but stays there only for about 30 seconds and leave and go find a different track then tree it then keeps repeating that sequence...iv caught him on tree and he had the coon but by the time i tried to tie him up he was gone...i put a caged coon on him and cut it loose then about 2 minutes later i cut him and he treed it and when i got to him i tied him up and made him tree for 10 minutes...i will let you know if it worked tonight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have used the method that Ricky Williams described for over 30 years
it dose work but i put a collar with a choker chain attached and a piece of 1'' pvc pipe with a cable with a clip on it ran threw it i keep the coon in a cage when i get ready for coon i take a hook and hook the choker and snap the cable to it and use the pvc pipe to control the coon on young pups i walk the coon on the ground to a tree and tie the cable to where the coon cant get to the pup, use a spray bottle and wet the coon lightly
on older hounds just fallow Ricky Williams post it works

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:43 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I know my pup is young 9 months. She will trail even a hard trail but most are short. She has treed 5 in the last month all by herself. Some of them she treed great and didn't leave the tree and others she would bark a few times and go look for another track. Last night she ran about 50 yards from me barked a few times and left. I went to where she barked and called her and sure enough she barked at a tree and took off again. I caught her and tied her at base of tree and praised her up and got her excited for 5 minutes. When I turned her loose she left to go find another.

I was told to not take her to the woods for a couple months. Is this a good strategy? I thought the more time spent in the woods the better. The guy even said to not take her during the day either for runs. What should I do?