CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Loading
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:23 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ok hopefully I got a simple question for teaching to load. I have heard of people putting dog food in the box, but was wondering what other tricks of the trade people have done? I figure that over time my dog will associate the loading and getting in the truck means hunting, but i'm just trying to keep learning new things. Thanks James

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:28 pm 
IP:
when i taught my dogs i say kennel up and tossed a treat in...after a few times of that they new "kennel up" ment get in the box.. now i just drop the tailgate and they load up.. its wonderful!! LOL.. some dogs just need encouragement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:15 pm 
IP:
I am trying to teach my 2 B&T's the same thing and they act like they can't jump more than 5 inches off the ground....what's the deal with that? Any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:17 pm 
IP:
confidence........i use to have to pick up my dogs.........i have truck on 36's so they were def. afraid to jump up there.. but once they knew they weren't going to fall they had it!! thats why i used treats.. they had "reason" to try!!! i don't mind helping them every now in then but i will be darned if im picking up butts all the time LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:21 pm 
IP:
I'm at the picking them up stage, and gettin pretty dang tired of it....I use hot dogs and everything else and they just don't act like they know what to do

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:23 pm 
IP:
what if you bought oen of the dog ramps or stairs.. maybe they just won't.. but mine do cause if they don't i yell...and they hate me yelling LOL...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:29 pm 
IP:
i guess i'll just keep tryin every day until finally they get it.....not sure what else to do.....I'm not gonna buy their lazy butts a ramp....dogs are supposed to jump :P they'll get it sooner or later...think they just know if they stand there with their front feet on the tailgate long enough, i'll just get tired of waitin and lift them up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:22 pm 
IP:
lynn1982 wrote:
i guess i'll just keep tryin every day until finally they get it.....not sure what else to do.....I'm not gonna buy their lazy butts a ramp....dogs are supposed to jump :P they'll get it sooner or later...think they just know if they stand there with their front feet on the tailgate long enough, i'll just get tired of waitin and lift them up

lol well my dogs love to load up LOL.. some dogs just don't like it........i wouldn't buy a ramp either was just a thought

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:32 pm 
IP:
this may sound a little harsh but works, put a shock collar on dog have your dog box in pickup and tell dog to load up if he wont shock the heck out of him he will try to get under anything he can, grab him and stuff him in box still telling him to load up keep repeating this until he finds the box is the only safe place, he wont get zapped. works great and they never forget it, you will be amazed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:48 pm 
IP:
twist wrote:
this may sound a little harsh but works, put a shock collar on dog have your dog box in pickup and tell dog to load up if he wont shock the heck out of him he will try to get under anything he can, grab him and stuff him in box still telling him to load up keep repeating this until he finds the box is the only safe place, he wont get zapped. works great and they never forget it, you will be amazed.

a shock collar does not fix EVERYTHING.. i would think the dog would associate it with the box.. but thats just me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:22 pm 
IP:
my grandad use to have border collies for working his cattle and he would just grab them by the collar and say "get in the truck" and then just yank 'em in the truck by their collars. and they seemed to lern pretty quick and would just jump in the truck sometimes when the tail gate wasn't even down.

about the shock collar thing, i was talkin to a girl today who shoes horses for money on the side and she said last week she was at some guys place and he had 140 fox hounds. and i asked to clarify if she was exaggerating and she said she was dead serious, 140 potlickers!!!. and that he hunts 40 of them at a time and all he has to do is whistle (or somethin like that, a horn or somethin) and they are all loaded up by themselves in 5 min. and that he trained them with a shock collar that the truck was the "safe Place" for them to be. and thats the exact words she used. so i guess the shock collar thing worked for that guy and his 140 dogs...

Jacob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:55 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

twist wrote:

Can we say IDIOT!!!!

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Re: Loading
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:01 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

jdinville3 wrote:
Ok hopefully I got a simple question for teaching to load. I have heard of people putting dog food in the box, but was wondering what other tricks of the trade people have done? I figure that over time my dog will associate the loading and getting in the truck means hunting, but i'm just trying to keep learning new things. Thanks James

Here whats worked for me for 25 plus years.Once the dog is big enough that you know it can jump that high take the dog by the coloar a couple steps from tailgate,say load up,load,up whatever you like and and pull them toward and up on the gate.First few times you may have to help by reaching under belly with free hand.But it wont take very many times and they will load.Sure beats "fryin" em till they are just lookin for a safe place to hide.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:43 pm 
IP:
i have had hounds for 30 yrs just letting you know what works, its funny how someone can say idiot for this yet everyone thinks a shock coller is just the cats meow for trash breaking think it over this is not a suggestion it really work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:29 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

What I do is start them young.. I start with UP.. and get them into my horse trailer.. then keep working my way up til they are up to the Tailgate.. My steps are.. horse trailer, car trailer, bench then tailgate.. It works great.. my hounds arent TREATED... they are expected to figure it out.. and know what UP and Down mean..I dont like to bribe a dog to do what its supose to do!! Its worked great for me the past 28 years!! :D