CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:57 pm 
IP:
I was wondering what the best way to break sight treeing? One of my huntin buddies has a dog that wont tree unless it sees the coon up in. Sometimes we know theres a coon up in a tree but its way up and the dog wont tree unless he can actually see. Its liek he's not using his nose to do the hunitng just his eyes. Any advice??

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:18 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

How old is the dog??.How long has he been this way??..How long has he owned the dog??...This is something thats really hard to break a dog of...He could even be ruined.Does he smell up trees at all????..Has the dog (ever) treed a coon alone or split treed???...Does he open on trail at all?????..Is he a good kill dog????....

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:38 pm 
IP:
He is about 1 year and 10 months. He's been this way for about 2 months. I have had him since he was a year. He has run coons and treed them by himself and split tree many times b4. He opens on track. He is mean killer. any advice?? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:02 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I going to take a guess....LOL...That you have been knocking a lot of coon out to the dog.Then he started doing this.....Am I right?????????????????

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:05 pm 
IP:
Actually to be honest not really. Only maybe one out of 5 or 6. and thats only if he's really really good on the tree. What woudl u suggest to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:24 pm 
IP:
I've never had this particular problem but it sounds to me like he needs a little less praise or a little less coons shot out to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:07 pm 
IP:
Ya tonight We are running in a spot of grove that theres sure to be coons, I'll see how he acts, maybe give him a little less praise since he does get quit a lot of it, haha never knew that could do bad to them, but thats what i get for being a beginner, some knowledge. which is in no way a bad thing all the stuff i can learn about this great sport the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:08 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i think the dog just lacks confidence. i would really praise the dog on the tree with the coon in it. you could hunt the dog with a finished dog and let him learn by imitation. i had a walker do this. she was use to treeing in a river bottoms where the trees were open and leafless. when she went to the highlands the trees were diferent and taller. harder to see the top. she didn't tree as hard on the ones where the coon was at the top or was off to one side of the canopy of the tree. having her hunt with a finished blue tick really helped her. i also carried grilled hamburger patties that i would pinch off a nibble for her everytime she treed and there was a coon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:16 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Is he running the track and treeing good. Before you knock coon out??..When your shooting out coon..Do they have a lot of fight in them???....Is he a real good kill dog????????...

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:45 pm 
IP:
Ya, they are usually fully capable of putting up a serious fight. He is a really really good kill dog, he gets in there and fights them till there done for. He needs a little bit of work on track sometimes he gets back tracked and turned around but he eventially finds the tree. When he catches them on the ground he trees them perfectly.

Post subject: post subject
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:29 pm 
IP:
You are not hunting in the day time are you. If I had a dog that
tree by sight i think i would only hunt at night in the dark it could
be hard for a dog to see the coon. But I am not sure how good a
dog can see at night. Lonnie Woodcox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:48 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

OK...Thats your problem..You want to shoot all coon out dead if you can....Many dogs get so they care more about fighting and killing than anything else.Its really true with dogs that really like it..Its kinda like over doing a cage coon....It can mess some dogs up really good..I think dogs that are not real good kill dogs. Make the best dogs over all.Some of the best dogs. Ive ever owned couldnt kill a coon very good..LOL..Id chain him back at trees from now on. Until hes treeing when you get there..I would not let him touch a coon for a long time and see if it helps him..Over praising dogs can also be a big problem.I just rub my dog on its side and say good dog..Thats it...Ive known guys that get dogs so excited they jump 6-8 ft and go nuts..Thats not what I call a good tree dog..LOL..

Profile  WWW