CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 5 Month Black Dog
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:49 am 
IP:
Took my 5 month old black pup out with my two older dogs last night... I know hes too young to be hunting so I kept him on the lead. I've worked him on a few drags and he flys through them. Just wanted to get him use to leading in the dark. Older dogs struck on a bucket and treed within 3 minutes. When we walked by the bucket my pup opened up and was having a fit to go. When we got to the tree I tied him and got my other dogs... he was having a fit and trying to tree right with them. Does this mean hes matured enough to go with them? Or do I need to keep him on the lead for a couple more months? As far as basic commands go hes wonderful. I'm just afraid I'm going to burn him out on drags and I feel like I'm hurting him leaving him at the house when hes raring to go.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:57 am 
IP:
Man, I would say if he's pulling on the lead and you think he's smelling coon scent to let him go! I've read about this "too young" stuff 'til I'm blue in the face. Every dog is not the same. I've got a 10 mth. old pup here that has been running and treeing since she was 4 mths. old. When I take them to the woods with me when they're that young I don't leave them on a lead, I let them run loose. You never know when they're gonna come across a really hot track that excites them and off they go. Plus, getting them used to getting through the woods in the dark is one of the most important things for a young dog or pup. Good luck!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:24 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I would say you handle the dog you know if he is ready. I had one pup that would go out and hunt and tree at 7 months old and her litter mate brother just wanted to play. He didnt start till 11 months. It just depends on the pup. I would let the dog hunt. Just dont over hunt him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:47 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Hes your dog..But..I wouldnt do it...........Been there done that.....They turn out so much better in the end if you just wait to hunt them..They dont loose hunting instint at all.If anything they are more mature and developed.... Ive seen and owned many that look great real young .That just just fall apart at about 15-18 months old.Ive just had a lot more trouble with them........ Some guys say its never happened to there dogs.They just have not trained enough dogs to find this out....

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:03 am 
IP:
chuckydw wrote:
Man, I would say if he's pulling on the lead and you think he's smelling coon scent to let him go! I've read about this "too young" stuff 'til I'm blue in the face. Every dog is not the same. I've got a 10 mth. old pup here that has been running and treeing since she was 4 mths. old. When I take them to the woods with me when they're that young I don't leave them on a lead, I let them run loose. You never know when they're gonna come across a really hot track that excites them and off they go. Plus, getting them used to getting through the woods in the dark is one of the most important things for a young dog or pup. Good luck!!!!

You are certainly entitled to your opinion on this. I am curious as to what color your face is going to turn when all of the sudden this pup just stops hunting. Like Chet mentioned. If you have not had this happen you just have not been through enough dogs. Once it does happen and I absolutely promise it will sooner or later if you mess with enough pups you will understand what it is like to burn out a pup.

As usuall, I agree with Chet 100% on this. It sounds like your doin just fine with this pup. Many, many pups show a TON of great instinct. Some will make it through without any problems but very few. Most will start showing some real problems and it can be very tough if not dang near impossible to fix them if hunted too much too young. One thing I think important to point out in this thread is this. MOST folks don't train full time. They work with their own dogs and do just fine. As a trainer for the public I am in a position to see many many dogs. It is a FACT that people don't bring young dogs to me if they are doing just fine. They bring problem dogs to be fixed. It does not take long to see a theme develope among these young hounds that are " all of the sudden" having problems. The theme is that they ALL were hunted too much too young.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:15 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

chet and lck are right!! i will admit i used to use that every pups different excuse til i ruined a couple this way. i have a 5 and half month old now and the first coon she saw from me, when i was working a 1 and half year old dog, she was pulling fur at 4 and a half months. i didnt even have to coax her a bit. believe me it is hard not to take her out with the other dogs when i go out but i've seen it more than once and will never make that mistake again. she probably wont see another live coon (hopefully dead when it hiitts the ground) til i'm done bear hunting in october. jmo.