CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:28 pm 
IP:
i haven't got a caged coon yet but i just started thinkg what am i going to do with it once i catch. i need to train my 9 month old pup so what is the first thing i should do with.

She will run a drag and just this morning she started treeing and that was something that i didn't think of for today but she is a well mannered dog and i she is all grand pedigree

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:30 pm 
IP:
read LCK training chronicles that will tell u. it's FULL of info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:48 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

The first thing you do.Wait until the dogs about a year old.I never let a young dog see or find cage coon until a year old now.How or If a dog re-acts to a cage coon really has nothing to do with them making a good dog or not...It can even mess some dogs up..You never want to over do drags or cage coon..I use dead coon...Let them find that on there own.When they show interest use it for drags.When they tree 2-3 times Quit.The more you do it wont help at all.It can get them so they have to see a drag or cage coon to tree.If that happens it can be really hard to break a dog of...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:01 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

First you have to make sure the dog is mature enough. Age matters somewhat but if you know the line of dogs very well you can tell. Let him go after the cage coon maybe 3 times for 10 minutes. Space the times about 1 week apart. When he bays it heap on the praise. Then he knows whet it is he is after. Then put it in the tree and let him find it. Let him get on the tree and dangle it up and down just out of reach for a few times. Them make a drag with it then hang in a tree and let him trail it up to the tree where his prize is. Keep the lesson short and inly once a week. Gradually lengthen the drag up to 300 yards. After he gets good no more cage and now its woods time. Then the fun starts. That is the simple explanation. Very simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:39 pm 
IP:
This is her pedigree and she is very good on drags i have only runn two and also should the first time i take her out should i run her with a older dog

**************GRNITECH'PR'HARD KNOCKIN STYLISH HAYES 7
**********GRNITECH'PR'BALL'S STYLISH HICKORY NUT HARRY 6
**************GRNITECH'PR'SCHMERSAL'S STYLISH ANNA 5
*******GRNITECH'PR'HONEY CREEK HARRY 4
**************CH GRNITECH'PR'ROCK RIVER SACKETT JR. 3
**********GRCH GRNITECH'PR'NIGHT HEAT ABBY 2
**************GRNITECH'PR'NIGHT-HEAT DIXIE 1
PKC CH*GRNITECH'PR'HONEY CREEK SPIDER
**************GRNITECH'PR'NOCTURNAL NAILOR 1
**********GRNITECH'PR'NOCTURNAL SKIPPER 2
**************GRNITECH'PR'HARDWOOD FRECKLES 3
*******GRNITECH'PR'SOUTHERN SKY---LITTERMATE TO XJR/MABLE 4
**************CH GRNITECH'PR'ROCK RIVER SACKETT JR. 5
**********GRCH GRNITECH'PR'HARDIE'S BIGTIME TRIXIE 6
**************GRCH GRNITECH'PR'SELLARS'TRIXIE 7

*PUPS*BORN 11/23/06..

**************GRNITECH'PR' ROCK RIVER SACKETT 7
**********CH GRNITECH'PR' ROCK RIVER SACKETT JR. 6
**************GRNITECH'PR'S KEAN'S DOLLY 5
*******GRCH GRNITECH'PR' RAT ATTACK 4
**************CH GRNITECH'PR'HICOUNTRY'S NITE HEAT 3
**********GRNITECH'PR'NIGHT-HEAT DIXIE 2
**************GRNITECH'PR'LONE PINE PATCHES 1
GRNITECH'PR'HARDWOOD ANNA
**************GRNITECH'PR'WAGERS' STYLISH LIPPER1
**********GRNITECH'PR'HARD KNOCKIN STYLISH HAYES 2
**************GRNITECH'PR'TAYLOR'S HARDWOOD DIXIE 3
*******GRCH GRNITECH'PR'BEARD'S HARD KNOCKIN STYLISH ANNA 4
**************CH GRNITECH'PR'LOGAN'S WILD CLOVER 5
**********GRNITECH'PR'SCHMERSAL'S STYLISH ANNA 6
**************GRNITECH'PR'KORTE'S STYLISH CHIRPEE7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:05 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

The dog will be at just the right age to hunt this fall.Id take it easy with her. Hunt her on Good nights only..I like to make my hunts short and sweet for young dogs.What I mean is after they tree a coon I take them home and let them think about it a few days..What this does it limits the bad things that can happen to a young dog ..Always ending on a good thing...Theres nothing better to end on than a treed coon...Than to keep hunting ending on a long chase without a tree..

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: Reply
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:29 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

If your pup is treeing drags, you do not need to use them anymore, if your going to trap a coon and turn it loose for your dog, the first you catch, i would turn it loose infront of her, let her tree it, the next one you catch, turn it loose without her knowing it. do this at night. with no other dogs.

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. 1Timothy 3:16.

(706)889-5083

Wrights Midnight Blue Kennels

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:53 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Guys, I am looking for some advice as well. My dog is about 18 months old and just started hunting this year. He has seen 4 caged coons. The last two I released for him while he was in the dog box. The first of the two he ran the track about 1/2 a mile. And then milled around in an area with out making a sound and came back. We released the older dog and he treed it about 100 feet from where my dog stopped tracking. I am assuming/hoping my dog ran the track to the tree and then came back when the track stopped. And when the old dog came in he bumped the coon over another 100 feet back up a tree. I trapped a coon last night and I am wondering if I should show him this caged coon again and work with it hung from a tree. Or just release the coon blind with out him seeing it at all. I dont want to show him too many becaue I understand this can be bad. Any advice is appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:06 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Possibly your dog got to a tree where the coon tapped it ( RAN UP AND JUMPED OFF) and your young dog didn't know what to do with the track once it went up. I would work on tree work with the dog get a coon make a short drag drag the coon up the tree tie up in a tree about head high and let him tree it pet him up real good for about 5 minutes then make another drag longer this time maybe 150-200 yards long tie it up higher after draggin up tree let him tree for about 10 minutes this time pet him up good. Then turn the coon loose wait 5-10 minutes and turn your dog out he will have fresh on his mind they go up the tree and should tree it. But I am sure someone else does it a better way and I am interestedon other ideas. (I ordered walk with wick books from tritronics this week so I can learn more too) Good Luck. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a two month old blue tick male So the best think for him right now is a coon hide?? Any reply with help I'm new to coon hunting just got my first hound !!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:04 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Im new to training, but i think Best thing for a two month old is to let them be a puppy, socialize them. And get them to love the game tug of war with anything they can get a good grip on. Later on introduce a coon tail. If they love the game and want to play it and know the coon scent leads to their fav game, they will try to find it. Id start with a sock or old towel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:25 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

[quote="RoboO"]I have a two month old blue tick male So the best think for him right now is a coon hide?? Any reply with help I'm new to coon hunting just got my first hound !!!

Try to trap a coon, with it in the cage, put a cloth or some kind of toy that will hold scent under the cage. Let the coon lay on it for a while and get the scent on it. Then play with the pup with that cloth or toy. That way it's getting the play it needs and also getting to know that scent.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:03 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ok thanks I got I fresh coon hide will that work bout the same?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:39 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

You can let em play with it but it'll tear up easier. You can use it til your get a live one caught.